Detailing Forum Don't know if that wax is any good? Get your detailing answers and tips here.

What do you use to clean your windows?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2004 | 07:55 AM
Senior Members

What product do you use to keep your windows sparkling clean?

Also, what product(s) do you use to keep your tires and rims clean?
Old 08-09-2004 | 10:24 AM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

I have special teflon stuff that I had as a gift from a teflon dealer to do my tires. It stays on very long and doesnt shine very bad.

For my rims I use soap and water. I intend to use Never Dull as a coating on the rims when Kigerka brings it over to me.
Old 08-10-2004 | 01:47 PM
Contributors

The trick to clean windows is newspaper. Any name brand glass cleaner and newspaper for a streak free shine.
Old 08-10-2004 | 01:56 PM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

You gotta be kidding me!! Newspaper?? That is new to me.. I always used glassex but that gave a greasy layer on the inside of the windows.

I now use liquid ammonia (amoniak in dutch) pure with a cotton cloth. This really helps. No more greas on the inside. Downside it smells bad. Especially when you smell the top of the bottle (my brother in law did and almost passed out )
Old 08-10-2004 | 03:26 PM
JDN
Contributors

Newspaper is great for windows. I especially like if for inside the front windshield.
Old 08-10-2004 | 04:13 PM
Senior Members

The angle of the front/rear windshields is pretty steep, making hard to get everything clean.

I used newspaper before but it makes your hands blackish, fall apart to easily and is hard to hold its shape for cleaning right next to the front/back dash.

Maybe for the exterior windows. I'll give it a try again.

I was told a 10% vinegar/water solution works great. I'm going to give that a try to. At least it's cheap.
Old 08-10-2004 | 04:28 PM
JDN
Contributors

Jimbo, just crumple the newspaper and scrub away -- try it dry.

The vinegar solution is good, too, but I would not like that odor inside my car.
Old 08-10-2004 | 04:46 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I've heard of using things like vinegar and newspaper, etc. I'm sure they work well but I have to say that as far as commercially available glass cleaners, this stuff is fantastic!
Old 08-10-2004 | 05:00 PM
Senior Members

JDN: Vinegar is probably best for the exterior. I'll try the newspaper again.
Maybe newspaper and the vinegar solution will work.
Rudy: That's a pretty good price ($32 for 12 cans) including shipping.

After you clean your exterior windows, try Gel-gloss. It will make the glass silky smooth(no squeaks), reduce friction for the wipers and when it rains, the water will sheet off.

I've used it for years. It will also polish fiberglass, marble, metal, chrome, plastic and remove light scratches from paint (best used on light colored cars). It's cheap and can be thinned with water to make it extremely gentle on whatever you use it on. I get mine at Home Depot and use it all the time.

I also purchased these flat baby diapers for $11/dozen (US) and they work great for just about everything, especially windows. Wash them about 10 times before using. The cotton fuzzes up and gets softer with more use. They're 27'x27' (a great size),cheap, lint free and thin enough to be folded about 8 times while using.
Old 08-10-2004 | 05:27 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2011 F10 528i - Imperial Blue, Oyster/Black, Premium, Premium 2, Cold Weather, Xenons.

I use a product by STONER... called Invisible Glass... It works great!

Quick Reply: What do you use to clean your windows?