Detailing Forum Don't know if that wax is any good? Get your detailing answers and tips here.

Weekly Car washes?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2007, 06:26 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am getting a Monaco 530i soon and like the clean car.

I dig getting out my porter cable and polishing with the Menzerna goodnes. twice a year.

But, the weekly washings gets very time consuming.

The local car wash which is a chain of note with a good rep offers the unlimited washes for one set pre paid price. I think its like $600 per year.

Im thinking making it in once or twice a week would keep it clean. Its very reasonable price if you stay away from the wax, which I have no problem with at all.

While it might contribute to SOME scratching, I must admit that keeping a car perfect is just not a reality for me due to time contstraints and not wanting anymore to fuss with trying to keep it perfect. I can hit the wash at 8am, have a cup of joe, take 15min on the way to work and have it shined up. Can do it every day if needed.

Anyone doing such a thing?
Old 01-05-2007, 11:49 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E63 AMG | Obsidian Black | Schwarzes Nappa | Black BirdEye Maple | Premium II Package | Electronic Trunk Closer | Parktronic Engine: RPi/Powerchips custom ECU tune, RPi Ram Air Kit (BMC filter, scoops), RennTech Sport exhaust, secondary cats, charcoal and resonator delete, custom AAA x-pipe Exterior: 50% side windows / 35% rear window Formula One Pinnacle Series | Flat AMG hood emblem Suspension: Renntech Lowering Module Wheels/Tires: Radenergie R10, Falken FK452 245/30/20, Yokohama ADVAN Sport 285/25/20 ----------------------------------------- 2005 545i Sport SMG | Ti Grau | Schwarzes Dakota | Anthracite Maple | Logic 7 | Nav Engine: Custom AFE CAI, Superchips ECU remap, Sprint Booster, RDSport Dual Exhaust Conversion with Quad Pipes and X-pipe, 3 resonators deleted, 90mm tips! Exterior: M-Tech Aero kit | M5 Mirrors | M5 Rear Bumper | Trunk Lid Finisher | Vorsteiner decklid spoiler | 50% Formula One Pinnacle Tint Suspension and Brakes: Bilstein PSS9 coilovers, JBT BBK: 16" cross-drilled rotors, 8 piston and 15" cross-drilled rotors, 4 piston Wheels: VIP Modular VR 02 20x9F, 20x10R | Toyo T1R 245/30/20F, 285/25/20R Lights: PIAA 4150K Xtreme White Plus fog lights, AIB v3 MOST IMPORTANT: Hardwired V1; =) ED Date: 4/7/05, Re-delivery date: 5/21/05

Find out if the carwash shop takes your car though using an automated rolling track. One of my 124 wheels was dinged by that track. I never ever take my 166s through a rolling track. If I get my car cleaned by a carwash shop I insist that they do it by hand without taking it through. I don't mind paying more for it. And, I make sure they don't do a half-ass job.
Old 01-05-2007, 11:55 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 320d SE (E90) manual - Sapphire Black, Beige Leather Sports Seats, Burled Walnut, Heated Seats, Sunroof, Comfort Access, Hi-Fi sound, Bluetooth, Side-Window blinds, Through-Load, Luggage Net, PDC Front & Rear, Adaptive Xenons, Style 158 17", Chrome Grill & Window Trim, Blackline Tailights, Power folding/dimming side mirrors, Split Armrest, Dual Zone Climate, Cruise, LEDs on door handles, iPod nano, SE K750i

Originally Posted by vegastrashed' post='374035' date='Jan 5 2007, 08:49 PM
Find out if the carwash shop takes your car though using an automated rolling track. One of my 124 wheels was dinged by that track. I never ever take my 166s through a rolling track. If I get my car cleaned by a carwash shop I insist that they do it by hand without taking it through. I don't mind paying more for it. And, I make sure they don't do a half-ass job.
The only carwash I would ever use is a 'touchless'

This is where the car is cleaned by an array of high-pressure jets. You drive it into position and the robot moves along your car (it's shaped like an arch). There are no brushes, rags or anything else. The only thing that touches your car is the water at high-pressure.

Occasionally I wash it by hand myself to get off the real grime but in between hand washes the automatic touchless washes are great.
Old 01-05-2007, 12:23 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Raighne' post='374039' date='Jan 5 2007, 03:55 PM
The only carwash I would ever use is a 'touchless'

This is where the car is cleaned by an array of high-pressure jets. You drive it into position and the robot moves along your car (it's shaped like an arch). There are no brushes, rags or anything else. The only thing that touches your car is the water at high-pressure.

Occasionally I wash it by hand myself to get off the real grime but in between hand washes the automatic touchless washes are great.
I read some time ago that the soup they use has a bit of acid in it and is why it works so good.

Maybe too good??
Old 01-05-2007, 05:01 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

vegastrashed is correct the main and immediate issue is wheel damage. I found a car wash reasonably nearby that has urethane sleeves along the entire tire rail. Look for the same.
Old 01-05-2007, 05:09 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 525Xi Build: Sep 2005 Del: May 2006 Ti Silver | Black | Premium Pkg. | Cold Weath. | Step | Xenon Adapt.

Our local dealer includes membership for one year at the local car wash. Now that Im older, busier and less tolerant of the cold, and since it includes 5 cents off per gallon of gas, the better that looks. I probably would never have done it myself but I'm using it this winter. I guess we'll see if I re-up, but I'll never stop washing by hand when it is warm. It's therapy for me.

But $600 seems high. The local option is $300, granted just a basic exterior wash and interior vacuum, no windows or wheels. That would bump it to $500, but I don't like the way they do the wheels anyway.
Old 01-05-2007, 09:22 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

i mostly just wash my own car myself.. "if you want it done right then do it yourself".. but yeah sometimes i dont have time.. like today i just went to a car wash i know with good prices.. but when i have them wash my car the first thing i tell them is hand wash... totally agree with vt. hell no i dont want no machine cuhz of low profile wheels and tires.. it sucks though now because california raised the minimum wage so prices went up.. since i know the guy there i still got it for the same price as i used to though.
Old 01-05-2007, 10:51 PM
Contributors

My Ride: In a place where the Mercedes density is the highest in the world (no. of MB per square kilometer) I choose a Bimmer, why? because of one thing "The Ultimate Driving Experience" My Ride: 523i Steptronic, Silver Grey Exterior, Black Interior with Black Dakota Leather and Maple Wood Trim. Chrome Grill, Style 123 rim, Airbags everywhere, PDC, Rain sensor, Auto lights, Moveable front armrest, Advance Climate Control, Glass Sunroof, Auto dimming interior and exterior mirror with foldable functions, Extended Lights package, 6 CD changer in glove box, Power seats with memory, Power adjustable steering wheel, Power rear sunblinds. Add ons: 123 wheels, chrome grill, K&N Hi flow filter, Eibach Pro Kit, e60.net decal and 24,000km Past rides: 2001 Nissan Xterra SE 1999 E39 523i 1999 E46 323i 1996 Acura Integra LS

I get my car hand wash by some local shops everyweek for $40 HKD, which works out to be $5.13 USD approx. They are quick but couldn't get those brake dust that are baked in. But for that price I am not complaining at all.
Old 01-06-2007, 02:44 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E60 M5

Prices here:

Hand wash with vacum cleaner US$ 5.00
Touchless with vacum cleaner US$ 8.00
Complete wash (body, engine, chassis) US$ 20.00
Old 01-06-2007, 11:01 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

hand wash only never mashine wash :thumbsdown:
I get it polish every 3 months with 3 wax coating and steam in the intee as well, just like a new car out the show room.
pay about $85us each 3 months which I think is worth it.

Quick Reply: Weekly Car washes?