Detailing Forum Don't know if that wax is any good? Get your detailing answers and tips here.

Wax...

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2006, 10:57 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Current... 2005 545i Black/Black/Anthracite, Sport Package, Steptronic, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, Cold Weather, Fold Down Rear, Sirius.

Originally Posted by Ray Hull' post='236787
Ray,

The new carnubas apply like butter..... and come off very easily....... no more grind. I'm speaking specifically of Pinnacle, but I've heard the same for PS2.
That's interesting as I always heard that there was no such thing as "soft" carnuba--the stuff is like cast iron and that's why it works and lasts so well. Must be a blend of some sort, but if it works easily, I'll have to dab some on and see what happens. Thx.

Ray
[/quote]
Ray,

This is not "your father's" carnuba...... Read ----> THIS

525iSE...... I warned you....... let the obsession begin.........
Old 02-08-2006, 11:04 AM
Senior Members

You got to be kidding! First of all, wax is non abrasive in any way! It is a protective layer that shields your paint from debris, moisture/oxidation, sunlight, etc.
Polish on the other hand IS abrasive, but still very mild! In addition, most (if not all) modern BMW's are clearcoated, and if you are seeing color on the waxing cloth, you are cutting through clearcoat, and it is VERY bad! Clearcoat is sprayed relatively thick, and it should last at least 10-20 years with normal waxing and polishing 1-2 times a year.
[/quote]

Sure, all BMW's have a multiple layer of clearcoat and with sensible waxing the paint will shine.

But still, abrasion is the idea with wax, if not much, but anyway.

Therefore I still say, that spring and fall waxing, 'couse of the protective layer the paint gets,
is recommend.
[/quote]

Give me facts - prove that wax is abrasive. I say its absurd - I work in chemical industry and used to paint cars for a living - wax is NON-abrasive. Never was, never will. Abrasive wax is nonsense.
Old 02-08-2006, 11:24 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

[/quote]
Give me facts - prove that wax is abrasive. I say its absurd - I work in chemical industry and used to paint cars for a living - wax is NON-abrasive. Never was, never will. Abrasive wax is nonsense.
[/quote]

Since I'm only a businessman in the IT/mobile sector I cannot prove it.

But still, you can't be serious that waxing would not whet the paint a bit,
I'm not taking about sandpaper here.
All paint levels are "soft" and therefore they "suck" some dirt in it.
The only way the get it off is to polish it off.

Mercedes-Benz has a new clearcoat paint systems with greater scratch
resistance, with some nano-particles in it (I'm sure you know).
This paint also needs a different kind of wax (for the reasons I claim).

OK, a brand new car with a factory new paint job, could be leyered with
a "bra" of some kind, plastic or other chemical.

If you have a great wax to offer, I would be more than happy to buy some.
My new car has not been waxed yet but this spring it will be as new!
Old 02-08-2006, 11:43 AM
Members

My Ride: Current... 2005 545i Black/Black/Anthracite, Sport Package, Steptronic, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, Cold Weather, Fold Down Rear, Sirius.

Originally Posted by Ricracing' post='236840' date='Feb 8 2006, 12:24 PM
The only way the get it off is to polish it off.
Ricracing..... I think you are confusing wax with polish. These are 2 completely different animals. Polishes come in a wide range of abrasiveness. A wax is a protective "non-abrasive" coating.........

See my post (#31 of this tread) for a link to IMHO the best carnuba wax available.

Side note..... there is quite a long process involved to do this correctly:
- Clay bar
- Polish (optional)
- Acrylic sealant (should provide protection for up to 6 months)
.... then waxing (protection usually only good for 4 weeks)
Old 02-08-2006, 09:24 PM
Members

My Ride: '04 545i (10/03) Sport, 6, bk/bk, Premium Sound, Cold Weather, Active Headlights, Tinted Windows, Clear Bra! Winter wheels 'plastic dipped'

Wow...you guys are fanatical...

I guess my (sometimes) weekly washing and almost daily dusting (california duster ROCKS!) is not too obsessive at all. I feel a lot better now...

I've owned my 545 since November...the deal washed prior to pickup...detailed a couple of weeks later. I've waxed her once and washed her 2x...the cali duster has been awesome between washes (black/black).

I know that I'll approach your level of fanatacism come spring...prob. wax 1x every 5 to six week...

Lots of fun, eh?
Old 02-09-2006, 01:19 AM
Contributors

Totally off topic, but does waxing do away with the swirl marks on your cars?
Old 02-09-2006, 03:26 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

Wax can help to reduce the look of swirls, by filling them in.... but it will not remove them permanently. The real purpose of wax is to provide protection to the surface. Wax repels water and other contaminants.

Glaze is another product which temporarily fills swirls. It does not offer the protection of wax, however.... So glaze is not used as often. Show cars owners tend to use glaze, since their cars are not really subjected to the abuse of normal daily driving. Glaze gives them excellent results for their shows, but they must constantly reapply.

The only way to actually remove swirls is to use an abrasive like compound, which removes a fine layer of clear coat... thereby leveling the swirls. This is best done with an orbital polisher to ensure that the compound is applied evenly. Once this step has been done, you MUST follow with a wax.... because compound will remove any wax which was on the surface previously.

Compound should not be used often. 2 times per year is plenty.

Wax can be applied as often as you like.... and can be layered for extra protection, and deeper shine.
Old 02-09-2006, 03:31 AM
Senior Members

I found that meguiers nxt spray wax is brilliant at 'between proper waxes' for just after youve washed the car.

It fills in most of the swirls, makes the car silky to touch and deepends the wet look on black no end.

In summer i tend to wax once every 3 weeks with a nxt spray every week. However in winter its more a case of 'take it to the jet wash' and hope that the wax i applied months ago still exists (i did apply about 15-20 layers over about a month tho before it got too cold to hand wash and wax)
Old 02-09-2006, 03:50 AM
Members

My Ride: 1973 porsche 911, 32,000 miles,with all S options and leather sport seats. 2004 porsche GT3,white track car, 2003 porsche boxter "my wife's" 2004 3/4 ton suburban tow vehicle, 24' pace trailer, 2006 BMW530XI, black, auburn, also "my wife's" about to buy a BMW 550I,silver gray,

I thought you could have people do that for you.
Old 02-09-2006, 03:52 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2001 BMW330ci, Steel Gray, Black leather, Steptronic, PP, SP, PDC, Heated seats, Xenon head lights, HK, 6 disk changer, OEM alarm, OEM clears,Iice white fog lights ,Universal trasnciver, 17 inch Michelin Pilot Sport Tires 2005 530i Titanium Gray,Black leather, Nav.,HUD,PP,CWP,SP,PDC,Xenon lights,Steptronic,Logic 7 sound system,,Fold down read seats,Power shades ON ORDER
Originally Posted by subterFUSE' post='237241' date='Feb 9 2006, 07:26 AM
Wax can help to reduce the look of swirls, by filling them in.... but it will not remove them permanently. The real purpose of wax is to provide protection to the surface. Wax repels water and other contaminants.

Glaze is another product which temporarily fills swirls. It does not offer the protection of wax, however.... So glaze is not used as often. Show cars owners tend to use glaze, since their cars are not really subjected to the abuse of normal daily driving. Glaze gives them excellent results for their shows, but they must constantly reapply.

The only way to actually remove swirls is to use an abrasive like compound, which removes a fine layer of clear coat... thereby leveling the swirls. This is best done with an orbital polisher to ensure that the compound is applied evenly. Once this step has been done, you MUST follow with a wax.... because compound will remove any wax which was on the surface previously.

Compound should not be used often. 2 times per year is plenty.

Wax can be applied as often as you like.... and can be layered for extra protection, and deeper shine.
Judging from your post you must go to www.autopia.org quite often.
cheers
vern

Quick Reply: Wax...