Detailing Forum Don't know if that wax is any good? Get your detailing answers and tips here.

"water mark" wont come off

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2007, 10:57 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey I was kind of pissed today when I took my car to wash-and it never goes more than 3 or 4 days without being washed so its not like anything could have been sitting there for days. But there is this mark under my liscense plate that looks like when after you wash your car and dry it-sometimes after you drive water kind of leaks out of the crevices of the car-like under the liscense plate area and around the hood etc. Well it looks like a little stream of water ran down from my plate over my bumper and dried but I went to wipe it off and would not wipe off So obviously do not think it is water. I always wipe bird poopy off and know there was none there. I had it in to the dealer last week and that is all I can think of-either way it is done and I am wondering if something like getting it waxed and buffed could get something like that out. Assuming it was something acidic maybe or wahtever obviously ate away a bit of the paint-what can one do to get rid of that? It is not horrible as it just does look like a bit of water but still would like to get rid of it.
Old 05-20-2007, 11:18 AM
Senior Members

Try some good paint cleaner.
I've used the Meguiars version many times & it works well.

Originally Posted by sleepyca31' post='426521' date='May 20 2007, 08:57 PM
Hey I was kind of pissed today when I took my car to wash-and it never goes more than 3 or 4 days without being washed so its not like anything could have been sitting there for days. But there is this mark under my liscense plate that looks like when after you wash your car and dry it-sometimes after you drive water kind of leaks out of the crevices of the car-like under the liscense plate area and around the hood etc. Well it looks like a little stream of water ran down from my plate over my bumper and dried but I went to wipe it off and would not wipe off So obviously do not think it is water. I always wipe bird poopy off and know there was none there. I had it in to the dealer last week and that is all I can think of-either way it is done and I am wondering if something like getting it waxed and buffed could get something like that out. Assuming it was something acidic maybe or wahtever obviously ate away a bit of the paint-what can one do to get rid of that? It is not horrible as it just does look like a bit of water but still would like to get rid of it.
Old 05-20-2007, 12:37 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2011 E92 335i M-Sport 6MT

I see this all the time. Easy fix. First, never clean up water marks in direct heat/sunlight; let the surface cool. This is especially important if the water marks are on the hood. It's best to do waxing/touch-ups in a garage. Next, spray the (cool) surface liberally with a good detailer's spray like Meguairs Final Detail Spray, then go over the sprayed area with a clay bar. Wipe clean with a microfiber cloth, then follow with a good car wax. Problem solved.
Old 05-20-2007, 01:01 PM
Banned

Thanks guys appreciate the tips. To my dismay I went out to clean it and found another mark that looked like grease in the same area under the plate and it looked like it was coming from somehwere near the trunk closure-so I inspected and found a complete layer of grease-blacky goop accumulating on the trunk area that closes and is not visible unless open-the very bottom of the trunk as well as along the rubber stripping that the trunk closes on to. I noticed this since the temps here have hit 105 plus and the factory must use some type of coating in that area that completely melted in the heat or was not supposed to be there but was. The only other thing I could think of was that I took the car to the dealer 2 times this month for service work but nothing in that area so who knows.

Came off with your tip however-good call on the claybar. THanks again! Man it was pissing me off to think it was permanent yikes!
Old 05-20-2007, 01:04 PM
Senior Members

my advice sleepy is to get a good quality microfiber towel and wipe those spots that tend to have still water. Even when im done checkin every spot after the car moves the water seeps out.
Old 05-20-2007, 03:28 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Originally Posted by jordan23junkee' post='426557' date='May 20 2007, 05:04 PM
my advice sleepy is to get a good quality microfiber towel and wipe those spots that tend to have still water. Even when im done checkin every spot after the car moves the water seeps out.

And then finish it off with some Meguiar's Quick Detail and a micro-fiber cloth.