Detailing Forum Don't know if that wax is any good? Get your detailing answers and tips here.

Wash It Myself In The City >>>>>>HOW?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2006, 11:26 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi
I just bought an brand new m5 in january and I have had it handwashed in the city a few times. Well that was a big mistake. The swirls and scratches cost me $600 to remove. I wonder if there is a place where I can bring my own bucket and wash cloth and wash this car myself?

Any IDEAS?

PS My garage does not have such a facility.
Old 04-01-2006, 11:41 AM
JDN
Contributors

I would look towards the outskirts for a business with an outside faucet connection. I know that McDonald's, et al, have a fetish for washing the parking lot early in the morning. You might make an arrangement to pay for hooking up for a wahh job if it could be done wo interfering with business. Motels are another option for an arrangement like this. I know this would be easier in smaller cities.
Old 04-02-2006, 04:02 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 "Stripper" Now C6 "Stripper"
Talking

Short of using a friends driveway with access to a garden hose i would say use the high pressure washers at some gas stations but do not use the attached brushes. Who knows how many people have used them and i've never seen them cleaned by the gas station workers.

Bring your own bucket, brushes, chamois, wash mitt and soap and just use the HP washers to rinse your car.

I would only use those so called "hand car washes" as a last resort (middle of winter and only then once a month at most) i don't think those guys change the wash mitts often and even if they do, how clean can they be?

Especially when they've washed 30 to 40 cars and used the same mitts (not even rinsing all the crap on them between cars!)

They just shmear all the crap from the 1st car to the 2nd to the 3rd car so on and so forth
Old 04-04-2006, 06:28 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 525

m5???? i will gladly pick it up for you, take it to my home and wash it...and bring it back to you the next day!!!!!!!
Old 04-05-2006, 03:07 PM
Contributors

My Ride: My Cars: 2004 545i Black with Balck | 6 Speed Manual | Sports Package | Moon Roof | Adaptive Steering | Smoking Package | Cold Weather Package | Adaptive Xenon | Premium Sound, LOGIC7 | Hard Wired V1 | AUX Input | Only 13K Miles! 2001 530i Green with Tan | Sport Package | Streptronic | Moon Roof | SOLD 1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.2L (Beat my 530i off the line until about 40 MPH) | SOLD 1981 320i destroyed Other family members cars: 2008 Yukon Denali Black with Black 2007 Aston Martin DB9 Cabriolet Black with Black 2006 Mercedes G55 Black with Black | 2004 Yukon XL Denali Black with Tan | 2003 BMW X5 3.0 Silver with Black | Every option available | 2001 Porsche C4 Cabriolet Silver with Black | 6 Speed Manual | 1958 Austin Mini Green with Black Interior 67k Miles, Fully restored in 2003 | Beach Car

Originally Posted by JDN' post='263439' date='Apr 1 2006, 03:41 PM
I would look towards the outskirts for a business with an outside faucet connection. I know that McDonald's, et al, have a fetish for washing the parking lot early in the morning. You might make an arrangement to pay for hooking up for a wahh job if it could be done wo interfering with business. Motels are another option for an arrangement like this. I know this would be easier in smaller cities.

McDonald's unfortunately doesn't have parking lots in NYC manhattan, where I'm assuming the guys lives because he said Garage. As I now live in Dallas, I understand where you might have gotten the idea.

BMW Manhattan will gladly detail your car for you, but it can get costly on a regular basis. When I did live in NYC, my doorman mentioned this place:

Car Spa
1771 Park Ave
New York, NY 10035
(212) 289-5810

It's on the upper upper east side. 123rd and Park ave. so really is Harlem. I'm sure they offer a service where they'll come and pick it up for you. My doorman said it was good, but who knows! Good luck finding the right spot.
Old 04-17-2006, 05:37 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Originally Posted by m51nyc' post='263433' date='Apr 1 2006, 04:26 PM
Hi
I just bought an brand new m5 in january and I have had it handwashed in the city a few times. Well that was a big mistake. The swirls and scratches cost me $600 to remove. I wonder if there is a place where I can bring my own bucket and wash cloth and wash this car myself?

Any IDEAS?

I feel your pain. I'm in the same boat. My car is 1 year old and it has been washed 4 times.

Once at the dealer for delivery (April 18th last year). Again one week later by the clearbra installer. One time in December, and then just this past Friday. I got the car inspected at the local Ferrari dealer, who detailed it inside and out - all for the price of the inspection.

I strongly believe that modern paint can withstand most environmental agents. Most people say that the buildup of dirt damages paint. I argue that improper removal of built-up dirt damages paint. I washed 8 months of dirt off - it took me 4+ hours (+1 hour for the wheels using only car soap), but at the end, the paint was still glossy and buttery smooth to the touch (not dry and rough) and there wasn't a microscratch or swirl to be found. You just have to be really careful.

I'd argue that you should wash it when you can, but don't compromise your better judgement just to get it cleaned off. That, and pray like hell that some prick doesn't write on it if it ever gets that dirty.
Old 04-22-2006, 06:01 AM
Members

Do you have access to a water filled bucket? Sheepskin washmit? There are products available for situations as yours, and for detailers like me, who confront situations like your! And all you need is a bucket (or two) filled with water. Wallah........
"For those seeking a no hose, no rinse wash, here's your answer. Simply add a couple oz of Optimum No Rinse Wash & Shine to each gallon of fresh water in a bucket, wash, and dry with a Waffle Weave Drying Towel! Optimum's No Rinse Wash & Shine formula safely brings contaminants to the surface for easy cleaning, without harming your waxed or sealed surface, and a no-rinse formula! "
Old 04-22-2006, 02:29 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i - scheduled for ED pickup in Munich on 7/22!

Originally Posted by m51nyc' post='263433' date='Apr 1 2006, 04:26 PM
Hi

Any IDEAS?

Try talking to your super about attaching a hose to the fire hydrant or whatever water supply they have.
I met someone who washes his Ferrari in NYC that way.

There are actually 2 McD's in Manhattan with a packing lot. 42nd or 34th and 11th, and 125th and Bway.

Try finding a dog park near you. They usually have a water supply with hose for the dogs. There is one near me (Tribeca), but its harder to access nowadays because there's a new condo being constructed on the same block.

Sometimes I'll just park my car downstairs, and bring a big bucket of water downstairs to wash. Need a few refills to rinse though.

If all else fails and you need a handwash, the carwash on 46th and west side hwy is pretty good. Go to the 47th st side.

Also, http://www.technik1.com/ in Chelsea might offer a simple handwash. I know some local Ferrari owners who detail their cars there.