Detailing Forum Don't know if that wax is any good? Get your detailing answers and tips here.

Toilet Brush??

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 09:24 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 550i (Sport, Prem, Nav, Logic7, Comf. Seats) Black on Black

I could not find my trusty wheel brush today and I found a toilet brush in my garage (don't ask). I have to say that it worked great. I think I will keep it with all my detailing equipment from this point on.
ps.. It does not have any metal toward the tip as some do... don't want to scratch anything.
Old 01-11-2012, 05:36 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by GoRavens
I could not find my trusty wheel brush today and I found a toilet brush in my garage (don't ask). I have to say that it worked great. I think I will keep it with all my detailing equipment from this point on.
ps.. It does not have any metal toward the tip as some do... don't want to scratch anything.
A while back I posted a "tool" I cooked up using a similar brush - might also work for you. Also all plastic so no risk of scratching.
Attached Thumbnails Toilet Brush??-wheel-cleaning-set-up.jpg   Toilet Brush??-wheel-brush.jpg  
Old 01-11-2012, 06:27 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

toilet brush? so this must mean your wheels are the sh!t...
Old 01-11-2012, 07:24 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by GENEaTALS
toilet brush? so this must mean your wheels are the sh!t...

Just ruined my appetite !

Old 01-11-2012, 09:38 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: A Car

Now everytime I clean my toilet I think of you. LMAO
Old 01-12-2012, 09:35 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by luigi524td
A while back I posted a "tool" I cooked up using a similar brush - might also work for you. Also all plastic so no risk of scratching.
Good idea..Its also thin enough to reach inside the wheel.. I need to buy one ASAP..
Old 01-14-2012, 09:12 AM
Senior Members

?ren't those plastic "hairs" on the brush too thick and hard for the lacquer?

I'm serious as I've looked at such brushes a number of times in shops and I've never found one that seems soft enough for car paint.

In comparison, I have a really soft brush made for car washing, with plastic hairs similar to horse hairs (if you know what I mean ) and my detailer guy said that even this brush would absolutely scratch the paint like hell over time.
Old 01-14-2012, 11:11 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by mmitev
?ren't those plastic "hairs" on the brush too thick and hard for the lacquer?
I'm serious as I've looked at such brushes a number of times in shops and I've never found one that seems soft enough for car paint. In comparison, I have a really soft brush made for car washing, with plastic hairs similar to horse hairs (if you know what I mean ) and my detailer guy said that even this brush would absolutely scratch the paint like hell over time.
Sure, I'd be careful about regularly using a "brush" to wash / clean your car. The plastic bristles are pretty soft on the brush I set up - but with the cordless drill you'd want to avoid applying a lot of pressure when cleaning wheels. That said, they're wheels and take a beating going down the road - not to mention the abuse of BMW brake dust! You could always make up a wheel brush from one of these
Attached Thumbnails Toilet Brush??-ostrich-feather-duster.jpg  
Old 01-15-2012, 04:46 AM
Senior Members

Nice And its good that the one you used does have soft ends!

Generally speaking, on the wheels meant to be taking a beating I'm not so sure - they are covered in the same clear coat as the rest of the car and it scratches equally easy. If you clean up any old battered wheels, then yeah - just take whatever brush you find and literally scrub the dirt down from them. But if you are cleaning new or well preserved wheels with original clear coat, then using such a hard brush will inflict more damage than it will do any good. And brake dust, tar etc. do not have to be removed via brush - there are specific cleaning products for this. On top of that, this is why we use wax on wheels - to prevent brake dust sticking too hard.. Just my $0.02...