Detailing Forum Don't know if that wax is any good? Get your detailing answers and tips here.

Special Paint Sealant Ive been hearing about?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2005, 08:13 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have heard that there is some special sealant that makes the paint smoother, shiner and resistant to swirl marks> I was told most dealers offer this but nobody today knew about it.

I even heard you dont have to wash the car with water? nothing sticks to the paint?

I am very curious on this. Does the car need to be compounded first then applied?

What is this service called, product type and anyone know a source in New York for it, also cost too!

Thanks
Old 05-26-2005, 08:41 AM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Yes--I know what you're referring to--it's a great product...called snake oil... I believe it was invented by P.T. Barnum.

There are lots of miracle coatings around, and the dealers love to sell them for lots of money, but they're nothing but BS.
Old 05-26-2005, 08:50 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i - 6 speed manual (July 04 build), silver-grey/black, sports package std equipment (18", active roll, active steering, adaptive headlights), premium sound, bluetooth enabled, folding rear seat, lumbar, 3m hood/bumper protective film, rear tint, euro reflectors.

Everytime I have purchased a car, the dealer wants to put on the paint sealant, leather protector, carpet protector...

I had done it once about 10 years ago and although it may have changed, I believe they are normal products and you really are buying a warranty. The paint sealant is probably a synthetic wax, although good I don't think there is anyway around normal paint care: washing and waxing.

IMO, and maybe I am old school, if you want your car to look good, you have to maintain it. Waxing product opinions are like elbows - everybody has two. I have talked to a couple different wax companies from various industry tradeshows, and here is what I have learned:

The synthetic waxes are better for UV protection and much easier/faster to apply. Carnuba is better for bird droppings, bugs and fallout as it leaves a heavier film. Typically it gives a deeper look.

You mentioned swirls. I did some research on paint swirls with my dark colored Yukon: Swirls on dark colors are just a fact of life. You can minimize them by proper washing techniques (hose off the road grime and wash from top to bottom)and using wool or chenil cotton mits and Microfiber towels (don't use a chamios - they basically squeegy the paint and can pull wax off the surface). When you get the swirls you can hide them with polish or remove them with a scratch remover.

The clear coat is basically to protect the paint. I doubt there is something that you can put on once to protect the clear coat.

I use Carnuba on my Yukon that sits in the garage most of the week, but gets alot of abuse on trips and Synthetic on my BMW that sits out in the sun all day long.
Old 05-26-2005, 10:05 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545i Sport Auto (see sig)

Originally Posted by Ziering545I' date='May 26 2005, 09:13 AM
I have heard that there is some special sealant that makes the paint smoother, shiner and resistant to swirl marks> I was told most dealers offer this but nobody today knew about it.

I even heard you dont have to wash the car with water? nothing sticks to the paint?

I am very curious on this. Does the car need to be compounded first then applied?

What is this service called, product type and anyone know a source in New York for it, also cost too!

Thanks
[snapback]133400[/snapback]
It's rubbish. What you need to do is find a good detailer and take your car their every 4 months and let him do what he thinks needs be done at the time (polish, clay, wax, etc.).
Old 05-26-2005, 10:09 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2015 535D M Sport

Go here: http://www.corrosionx.com/rejex.html It is mentioned in detail elsewhere on this board. Good stuff, I use it.
Old 05-26-2005, 11:02 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i - 6 speed manual (July 04 build), silver-grey/black, sports package std equipment (18", active roll, active steering, adaptive headlights), premium sound, bluetooth enabled, folding rear seat, lumbar, 3m hood/bumper protective film, rear tint, euro reflectors.

Originally Posted by gwf545' date='May 26 2005, 10:09 AM
Go here:? http://www.corrosionx.com/rejex.html It is mentioned in detail elsewhere on this board.? Good stuff, I use it.
[snapback]133448[/snapback]
How does it work on the rims for brake dust?
Old 05-26-2005, 11:36 AM
Contributors

Location: Proud citizen of THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA and MORGANTOWN, W.V.
My Ride: '05 530i, Premium, Steptronic, Logic7, Silver grey-black leather. Build date 12/7/04.

What you are, in fact, paying for when you purchace any paint and appearance package is the dealer's new boat, or his latest trip to the Islands.....etc. You receive, in return, the same quickie-glaze they put on every car for delivery.
Old 05-26-2005, 11:46 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

I wax my car using a good, carnauba paste wax.... every month. I don't have a single scratch, ding, or blemish ANYWHERE on my car... and I've got 11,000+ miles on it. (and I check all the time). I don't let the dealer wash my car, because they use a machine... and the one time I let them wash it, the car came back with the license tag all bent up. I figured if the machine can do that, it's a risk for the paint.

I prefer carnauba because it protects better for the short-term, gives a deeper look to the paint.... and it shows you when it's time to re-apply because water doesn't bead up as much after a few weeks.

The "dealer sealant" is an absolute gimmick. It's a 100% profit item for the dealer.... It's the same thing as Best Buy selling you the "Replacement Plan" on the cd player you just bought. They bank all that cash, and 99.9% of the time, never have to pay out.

Don't waste your money. Don't let them use you like that.
Old 05-26-2005, 12:02 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by jsal' date='May 26 2005, 06:50 PM
Everytime I have purchased a car, the dealer wants to put on the paint sealant, leather protector, carpet protector...

I had done it once about 10 years ago and although it may have changed, I believe they are normal products and you really are buying a warranty.? The paint sealant is probably a synthetic wax, although good I don't think there is anyway around normal paint care:? washing and waxing.

IMO, and maybe I am old school,? if you want your car to look good, you have to maintain it.? Waxing product opinions are like elbows - everybody has two.? I have talked to a couple different wax companies from various industry tradeshows, and here is what I have learned:

The synthetic waxes are better for UV protection and much easier/faster to apply.? Carnuba is better for bird droppings, bugs and fallout as it leaves a heavier film.? Typically it gives a deeper look.

You mentioned swirls.? I did some research on paint swirls with my dark colored Yukon:? Swirls on dark colors are just a fact of life.? You can minimize them by proper washing techniques (hose off the road grime and wash from top to bottom)and using wool or chenil cotton mits and Microfiber towels (don't use a chamios - they basically squeegy the paint and can pull wax off the surface).? When you get the swirls you can hide them with polish or remove them with a scratch remover.

The clear coat is basically to protect the paint.? I doubt there is something that you can put on once to protect the clear coat.

I use Carnuba on my Yukon that sits in the garage most of the week, but gets alot of abuse on trips and Synthetic on my BMW that sits out in the sun all day long.
[snapback]133413[/snapback]
jsaI,
Do you also advise against using a chamois to dry the car after washing?
Old 05-26-2005, 12:11 PM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by jsal' date='May 26 2005, 12:02 PM
[quote name='gwf545' date='May 26 2005, 10:09 AM']Go here:? http://www.corrosionx.com/rejex.html It is mentioned in detail elsewhere on this board.? Good stuff, I use it.
[snapback]133448[/snapback]
How does it work on the rims for brake dust?
[snapback]133473[/snapback]
[/quote]

I've used Rejex for a few years on my cars--but not on the painted surfaces. For that, I use One Grand Blitz wax--high quality carnauba, very easy application/removal, great depth of shine and color, and lasts a long time (several months).

I use Rejex on the windshield (minimizes bug splats), wheels (minimizes brake dust build up), and on the exhaust tips (minimizes yellowing and black crud build up). And all those surfaces, whatever dirt build up does occur cleans very easily.

Rejex is great on high heat applications (like wheels and exhaust tips) since it was developed for military aerospace applications, and won't break down under high heat like waxes do. When I first bought it, I tried it on my front bumper (thinking it would help minimize bug splats there), but the application/removal process was quite a bit more difficult than Blitz wax, so I now only use it on the windshield, wheels and exhaust tips. The other reason I prefer carnauba wax on the painted surfaces is that it has better depth of color and shine, whereas the synthetics (Rejex, Zaino, etc.) look more plasticy.

Quick Reply: Special Paint Sealant Ive been hearing about?