Detailing Forum Don't know if that wax is any good? Get your detailing answers and tips here.

Self washing the car...

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2006, 03:59 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought a pressure pump, not that powerfull like those found at serious auto-washers but does the job with more than satisfing pressure. I'm wondering now what are the steps you follow when YOU wash your car?
1. Give it a good spray of water all around the car (to moisture all the dirt and remove the gross part).
2. Wash it (spray it)with liquid car shampoo (please specify if any outstanding results on a particular product).
3. If needed de-gresse it with some special product. (specify).
4. Dry it off with a very soft but absorbing fleece.
5. Clean the rims with a rim cleaner spray.
6. Do the windows on the inside.
7. Spray the rims with a special rim cleaner.
8. Spray the tire walls with some silicone product.
That's about all about the main part. I presume few of you take time to wax it also after almost every car wash. What's more i should know? Any special precautions?

PS: I've just see the latest show of 5th gear and they showed a man who takes care of alot of rich people's exotics like zondas, enzos, mc12, and so on...and i presume he is the best in the world at washing them and keeping them clean and shiny, he said that a normal wash lasts for a few good hours if not for a whole day if it is waxed and full treated. Anyway some tips he used: he uses de-ionized water and warmed at about 35 degrees celsius to be as soft as it can be to the paint, he uses the most expensive products in wich i state:" a 6000punds bucket of the best wax....almost 9000euros for just about 2 kilos of wax.... AND BTW he washes the car with PH neutral car shampoo and with a sponge!!!!!!! Weird since i always thought that using a sponge will always create swirmarks no matter how careful you are.
Old 04-29-2006, 01:44 AM
Senior Members

Doesn't anybody wash the car by himself?
Old 04-29-2006, 02:32 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='275600' date='Apr 29 2006, 10:44 AM
I just use a bucket and a sponge

But then all my other cars just went to the car wash cause they didn't have great big low profile wheels that could get damaged on the guides.
Old 04-29-2006, 04:22 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by needforspeed' post='275609' date='Apr 29 2006, 01:32 PM
I just use a bucket and a sponge

But then all my other cars just went to the car wash cause they didn't have great big low profile wheels that could get damaged on the guides.
And you didn't get swirl marks using the sponge? I suspect you start from the top, down, and leave the rims to the end. How do you cope with normal shampoo with the grease on the rims combined with brake dust?
Old 04-29-2006, 06:40 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='275631' date='Apr 29 2006, 01:22 PM
And you didn't get swirl marks using the sponge? I suspect you start from the top, down, and leave the rims to the end. How do you cope with normal shampoo with the grease on the rims combined with brake dust?
I don't get water marks since the water is very good quality where I live - no limescale at all.

Like I said - I always used to just go for a drive through car wash in my other cars, but they were company property.

The e60's mine and I don't want to ding the wheels in a drive thru so I've been washing by hand - just with a little bit of shampoo in a bucket of water and a soft cloth - then rinse with cold water.

It's probably a really bad idea - but I just clean the wheels with fairy liquid and a washing up sponge - seems to work good enough.

I want to wax it - but problem is finding the time.

Every couple of weeks we have a valet service at work - so I'll probably wait for that
Old 04-29-2006, 06:56 AM
Members

My Ride: 2007 530xi Silver Grey over Black Dakota with Sport, Premium, Cold Weather, Comfort, NAV, Logic 7, Sirius, 18" 123s. Current: 2006 Lexus GX 470 2005 SLK 350 No Longer With Us: BMW 330xi; Mini Cooper S; Infiniti FX45; every Audi imaginable; various others
Wink

I just did my 330xi yesterday (prepping for what I hope is a quick sale to make room for my incoming 530xi ) Here's the process I used:

1. Get all the equipment out in the driveway. Water de-ionizer (I have very hard water), pressure washer, buckets, rags, soaps, brushes etc.

2. Wheels first with P21 wheel cleaner. Spray all, let sit for a couple of minutes. Clean them one at a time by wetting them slightly with water ant then wiping with a finger sponge. Rinse well and go to the next until finished.

3. Wet entire car with pressure washer to soften dirt, bugs etc. Be careful not to use the highest pressure settings.

4. I use two buckets, one with soap and one for rinsing my sheepskin wash mit. This rinses away any grit that might have gotten stuck on the mit. I use Zaino products exclusively for washing and waxing. Zaino soap rinses very well. I start at the top and do one section at a time, rinsing after each section. Five sections in all - roof, front hood and fenders, right side, left side trunk. I then save the rocker panels and lower bumper areas for last, since they tend to be dirtiest.

5. Check car to make sure no bugs, tar etc. have been left.

6. My de-ionized water essentially dries spotless, but I dry anyway using a waffle weave drying towl. I open hood and doors and dry recesses last.

7. If all I am doing is washing, the last step is glass cleaning with Griot's Garage window cleaner and that their blue disposable lint free towels. If needed I run a little Griot's Garage tire dressing over the tires using a Sonus sponge designed for that purpose.

8. If waxing I let the car sit for a couple of hours in my garage to make sure all the water has run out of the recesses.

9. I use Zaino polishes and waxes. I like the way they hold up and shine, but mostly I use them because they are the easiest damn waxes and polishes to apply and remove that I have ever tried. You will get lots of debate on carnuba vs. poly waxes. Bottom line for me is that I can put two thin coats of Zaino on the car and remove each in a couple of hours with minimal elbow grease, AND NO WHITE RESIDUE!!.
I follow the Zaino instructions using Z7 between each coat.

10. Zaino has NO cleaner in it, so if the car is in bad shape I will either clay bar or polish the entire car before applying Zaino wax. If I keep the cars Zaino'd (waxed every month or two depending on usage) I only do this full treatment once a year, usually in Spring after the winter season.

11. When needed I treat black trim (rubber or vinyl) with the appropriate product for gleaning/treating.

That's it. Heading out to start on the SLK!
Old 04-29-2006, 07:05 AM
Contributors

My Ride: MY RIDE is DA real .-) HAMANN 5 aka BLACK MAMBA born on 16/06/2005/delivered on 05/08/2005 as following: 530dA (steptronic), Black II (JET), leather Dakota auburn black, mapple trim, head-up display, dynamic drive, active steering, adaptive xenon headlights (auto levelling) with headlight washers, alarm, comfort seats with massage function, advanced A/C, big compartment armrest, aux-in, MP3, Logic 7, Radio PRO, CD in-dash+cd changer, power rear sunshades, rear airbags, park distance control, auto dimming folding mirrors, smoking package, shiny shadow line (individual), fold down rear seats, ski bag, sport suspension, run flats on �116-style� rims (Good Year NCT5+), cup holders, debadged, fire extinguishers, additional permanent power outlet, BMW coat hanger, trunk release button (installed by Hobi), GPS tracking device and a big thx 2 Iceman. Mods done: � Authentic HAMANN FRONT APRON Including ellipsoid fog lights Item-No.: 10 060 110 � Authentic HAMANN REAR SPOILER Item-No.: 10 060 130, � Authentic HAMANN HAMANN ALUMINIUM PEDALS For cars with manual gearbox Item-No.: 80 099 100 81,00 For cars with automatic transmission Item-No.: 80 099 120 � Authentic HAMANN FOOT REST In aluminium For left-hand drive vehicles Item No. : 80 099 122 � Authentic HAMANN HAND-BRAKE LEVER In aluminium For left- and right-hand drive cars Item No. : 80 099 216 � Authentic HAMANN Idrive of alu (sorry this is the only one in the World) but you can have it in carbon fiber , � Authentic HAMANN EXCLUSIVE FLOORMAT SET In black with HAMANN logo in silver For left-hand drive cars Item-No. : 80 060 120 For right-hand drive cars Item-No. : 80 060 � Authentic HAMANN COVER FOR OIL FILLER CAP In aluminium Item-No.: 80 099 117 � Authentic HAMANN SPORT REAR MUFFLER 4 TAILPIPES Sport rear muffler with four round stainless-steel tailpipes ( � 76mm ) Item-No.: 50 060 111 � Authentic HAMANN new add-on for M pack rear with diffusor for quad pipes -AVAILABLE NOW (http://forums.e60.net/index.php?act=ST&f=22&t=30630&st=0#entry332409) � ///M steering wheel w Pegasus logo (this will be also changed to three spoke sports) � ///M pack rear � HAMANN ECU upgrade 265 HP 608 Nm. most improtant: �real and working like a charm forumsbuy real LED tails and PIAA 4700k fogs!!! for HAMANN full front apron you need H3 � CustomAngels, Angel Eyes Brighter than stocks 10X, WHITE & (REd for shows). � Authentic HAMANN LIGHT-ALLOY WHEELS DESIGN EDITION RACE 20" Ultra-light forged 3-pieced light-alloy wheel, Cross-spoke-design,Spider in black, titanium, screwing,polished flange DIMENSIONS : 9.0 J x 20 FA Item No.: 91 207 315 10.5 J x 20 only RA Item No.: 91 207 625 Recommended 20" Complete Wheel Set DESIGN EDITION RACE I went with most aggressive Combination A.10 FA 9.0 J x 20 / RA 10.5 J x 20 with tires: FA 245/30 ZR 20 / RA 285/25 ZR 20 � Authentic HAMANN LOWERING KIT 4 progressive sport springs Lowering by approx. 40 mm FA, 20 mm RA Item-No.: 20 060 125 � Authentic HAMANN TIRE - PRESSURE CHECK SENSOR SYSTEM � Authentic HAMANN SIDE SILLS Item-No.: 10 060 120 � Authentic HAMANN REAL CF ROOF SPOLIER Item-No.: 10 060 235 � Authentic HAMANN AIRBAG SPORT STEERING WHEEL 3-SPOKE Three-spoke design w their SMG paddles (For assembly O.E. airbag in exchange) � Authentic HAMANN sports mirrors (all functions) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and of course !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! E60.net Clings Still to do list;-): � Our Hobi's camera system from : ww.switchchange.com). � Individual leather interior (auburn+auburn alcantara)... and drive with sheer drivin' pleasure ... until 2009/2010 F10 comes or E60 possibly a 540d V8 diesel early in 2009 badly juiced!

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='275600' date='Apr 29 2006, 11:44 AM
loved to, but where I live there is no water, and place, so the guy comes to me and does the job, he is a pro and used to wash all Royce and Jags, now only BMWs
Old 04-29-2006, 02:12 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by ats77' post='275675' date='Apr 29 2006, 06:05 PM
loved to, but where I live there is no water, and place, so the guy comes to me and does the job, he is a pro and used to wash all Royce and Jags, now only BMWs
Bummer. I think nothing beats the pleasure you have after working for a few hours, doing a big treatment, sitting there and just looking at it with a beer or a glass of wine.
Old 04-30-2006, 12:47 AM
Senior Members

I spray the car down to remove lost dirt

Then get a bucket of warm water mixed with Meguiers NXT carwash stuff and soap the whole car down. I do this in sections and rinse when each section is done so nothing dries on the car.

Once thats done i then get in the car and drive it up and down a dual carriageway close to where i live at about 90 to 'dry her off'.

I return home and depending on what she looks like will either

a) apply Meguiers NXT Spray wax in sections to whole car and remove

b) Apply meguiers nxt tech wax in sections to whole car and remove

c) do nothing at all requiring wax and move onto alloys:

With the alloys i have bought some turtlewax alloy wheel cleaner which comes with a paintbrush. I stick the paintbrush in the solution and basically paint the alloys with it and 'irritate' the areas where theres a build up of crap.

Rinse it off within a minute with the hose being careful not to spray the bodywork with water.

Then i get a cloth and rub in some tyre dressing so the tyres go black.

Thats it pretty much....when i step away it looks like new (apart from the stone chips) and i think 'damn it was worth the effort'
Old 04-30-2006, 04:01 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by JayJay' post='275964' date='Apr 30 2006, 11:47 AM
I spray the car down to remove lost dirt

Then get a bucket of warm water mixed with Meguiers NXT carwash stuff and soap the whole car down. I do this in sections and rinse when each section is done so nothing dries on the car.

Once thats done i then get in the car and drive it up and down a dual carriageway close to where i live at about 90 to 'dry her off'.

I return home and depending on what she looks like will either

a) apply Meguiers NXT Spray wax in sections to whole car and remove

b) Apply meguiers nxt tech wax in sections to whole car and remove

c) do nothing at all requiring wax and move onto alloys:
With the alloys i have bought some turtlewax alloy wheel cleaner which comes with a paintbrush. I stick the paintbrush in the solution and basically paint the alloys with it and 'irritate' the areas where theres a build up of crap.

Rinse it off within a minute with the hose being careful not to spray the bodywork with water.

Then i get a cloth and rub in some tyre dressing so the tyres go black.
Thats it pretty much....when i step away it looks like new (apart from the stone chips) and i think 'damn it was worth the effort'
Great! Weird drying method though...but if that works for you....