Detailing Forum Don't know if that wax is any good? Get your detailing answers and tips here.

Rusty Hubs

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2005, 10:56 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 525i, Silver, Black Leather, Automatic, Cold Weather, Sirius Prep and Radio, Premium Package, Xenon Lights.

What is the procedure listed in the TIS system that addresses rusty hubs? My car is 5 months old and the hubs are rusty orange with a few silver spots left on them. My dealer refuses to fix. I want the dealer to take care of this or apply some sort of brake paint to them. Anyone with this problem, how did you get it resolved?
Old 07-27-2005, 11:12 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by dmw5678' date='Jul 27 2005, 08:56 PM
What is the procedure listed in the TIS system that addresses rusty hubs? My car is 5 months old and the hubs are rusty orange with a few silver spots left on them. My dealer refuses to fix. I want the dealer to take care of this or apply some sort of brake paint to them. Anyone with this problem, how did you get it resolved?
[snapback]153644[/snapback]
Hubs like in hubcaps?

Yes, I know, my written english ain't what it should.
Old 07-27-2005, 11:51 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Jet Black 545i

Are you talking about the brake calipers? Mine are rusty too. Doesn't look too pretty on a 60k+ car.
Old 07-27-2005, 12:24 PM
Senior Members

the hubs , the insides of the wheels where it mounts the car is rusty
Old 07-27-2005, 01:41 PM
Contributors

I had the same problem and the dealer refused several time to fix it.
I went to the bodyshop and they painted the hubs with a high temperature resistant grey paint (same used on exaust pipes). So far no more rust back.
Read also my topic: http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=3590&hl=

Bye
skorpyo25
Old 07-27-2005, 01:52 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i - 6 speed manual (July 04 build), silver-grey/black, sports package std equipment (18", active roll, active steering, adaptive headlights), premium sound, bluetooth enabled, folding rear seat, lumbar, 3m hood/bumper protective film, rear tint, euro reflectors.

Just edited my post, the previous post/picture tells the story.

Good idea, You can get high temp paint and spray them yourself.

I would just be carefull to avoid painting the centering part of the hub, where the wheel mounts to it.

I live in California and have not noticed any rust.
Old 07-27-2005, 02:18 PM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by tonye60' date='Jul 27 2005, 10:24 PM
the hubs , the insides of the wheels where it mounts the car is rusty
[snapback]153712[/snapback]
Thanks tonye60

The hubs are easy to rust, as the brake disks are.

Have you check your disks after a solvent wash; they rust at once.

Since this is such a great forum, look for the right answer you want (there is a lot of nice links provided).
If it is a problem for you and you live in nice warm climate wash them with pressured wather and even paint them if you desire.
And why not choose a color you like...

Here up north when I have to struggle every winter (6 months of salty roads) by not hitting any Polar Bears, Reindeers, Russians (uups) or Mooses, this isn't a big problem.
Every spring (about in June) I wash them appropriate when I change to the summer wheels.

I even might put in some pictures of how a E60 manages in the winter (and no rust on the hubs).
Old 07-27-2005, 07:18 PM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Originally Posted by Ricracing' date='Jul 27 2005, 06:18 PM
[quote name='tonye60' date='Jul 27 2005, 10:24 PM']the hubs , the insides of the wheels where it mounts the car is rusty
[snapback]153712[/snapback]
Thanks tonye60

The hubs are easy to rust, as the brake disks are.

Have you check your disks after a solvent wash; they rust at once.

Since this is such a great forum, look for the right answer you want (there is a lot of nice links provided).
If it is a problem for you and you live in nice warm climate wash them with pressured wather and even paint them if you desire.
And why not choose a color you like...

Here up north when I have to struggle every winter (6 months of salty roads) by not hitting any Polar Bears, Reindeers, Russians (uups) or Mooses, this isn't a big problem.
Every spring (about in June) I wash them appropriate when I change to the summer wheels.

I even might put in some pictures of how a E60 manages in the winter (and no rust on the hubs).
[snapback]153792[/snapback]
[/quote]
That must be a mess with all those Russians on your hood
Old 07-28-2005, 07:23 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I too noticed this over the last weekend and was very surprised. However, only three of the four were rusted. The one that was not rusted was the wheel I had replaced by the dealer in February. When they did the wheel installation they applied a light grease to the hub. Of the three rusted hubs one wheel was replaced at the VPC and the other two had never been off the car.

Before I put the wheels back on I cleaned the rust with a scotchbrite pad and applied some grease. We'll see what happens.

This looks like a small detail in the manufacturing assembly process that was over looked.
Old 07-28-2005, 10:11 AM
Senior Members

I had this problem. I phoned my dealer and explained that i was unhappy and it was most likely the result of a jetwash that had used corrosive chemicals to 'break down grime' and had infact led to my brakes going yellow and rusty coloured.

I told them the problem. The girl on the other end hadnt really got any idea what i meant so i took some pics for her and emailed her. She phoned me back and said that they would take the car back and fix it for me.

When i picked it up i was informed that a high temp resistant spray had been applied that would not corrode. If it did she promised to redo them again.

So far so good.
All this was done at the dealers own cost.

Quick Reply: Rusty Hubs