Detailing Forum Don't know if that wax is any good? Get your detailing answers and tips here.

Removing old wax

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2005, 07:32 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 525i Jet Black on Grey Interior--- Tint: Sides 20% Rear Windshield 5% Front Windshield 35% Wheels: Zenetti Five's 20" by 8.5(front) 20" by 10(rear)-- Tires: Pirelli Asimmetrico 245/35/20(front) 285/30/20(rear)-- Body: Hamann Full Front Spoiler, Rieger Side Skirts, Rieger Rear Apron, AC Schnitzer Trunk Wing Interior: AC Schnitzer Pedal Set and E-Break Springs: H&R Sport Springs-- Audio: 2 12" Kicker L7's with a Rockford Fosgate 1501bd Amp With Custom Trunk Enclosure SOON TO COME: -M5 Mirrors -M5 Trunk Finsher -Brembo GT Big Brake Kit -Hamann 6 Series Front Spliter Molded -Hamann Roof Wing -Full Custom Sound System with TV's

Well I know someone who actually gathered the time to apply 22 coats of wax at one time ... but when I layer my coats I just apply buff it in the wipe off... then reapply so on and so on... if you let days go by and then wash the car and add a layer of wax, then technically its not layers its just readding the coat of wax that has diminished... because if that was the case I would have over 150 layer of wax at this point ... and the thing about waiting a couple days do u wash your car before applying that wax??? because if not I would be worried... and if you do then its just like I said.. when you wash the car the wax doesn't fully desovle away but it mostly deminishes, and if you add a coat of wax to that layer then its not really "layering" its just re adding the layer of wax that has desolved... to properly layer you need to wax in one sitting or in a 2 day period without driving the car so no contaminants are on the paint
Old 07-18-2005, 07:41 AM
Members

Ok folks.......heres the skinny...."Carnauba waxes" contain petroleum distillates, this makes the most hardest waxes known to man, "usable". Anytime, you reapply "wax", the distillates used to make your wax usable, dissolve your previous application. I always associate waxes as floaters. They float on the surface, never really "bonding" with the surface pores, but rather "resting on the surface.
So, are you:
1. Adding additional protection?
2. Insuring equal/adequate coverage?
3. Wasting your time?
4. Better off with a Polymer?

Its my belief:
2, 3, 4!
Also keep in mind, natural waxes are not heat tolerant. Protection quickly diminishes with excessive surface heat, over a very short period, say 2-4 weeks.
Old 07-18-2005, 07:52 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 525i Jet Black on Grey Interior--- Tint: Sides 20% Rear Windshield 5% Front Windshield 35% Wheels: Zenetti Five's 20" by 8.5(front) 20" by 10(rear)-- Tires: Pirelli Asimmetrico 245/35/20(front) 285/30/20(rear)-- Body: Hamann Full Front Spoiler, Rieger Side Skirts, Rieger Rear Apron, AC Schnitzer Trunk Wing Interior: AC Schnitzer Pedal Set and E-Break Springs: H&R Sport Springs-- Audio: 2 12" Kicker L7's with a Rockford Fosgate 1501bd Amp With Custom Trunk Enclosure SOON TO COME: -M5 Mirrors -M5 Trunk Finsher -Brembo GT Big Brake Kit -Hamann 6 Series Front Spliter Molded -Hamann Roof Wing -Full Custom Sound System with TV's

Polymer and Carnauba waxs are a different story... Everyone likes their own preference.. I used to use polymer religiously but I recently switch to Carnauba.. I found that the Carnauba wax I use lasts a bit longer.. while the polymer wax I would notice it starting to wear down... I still sometimes like to polymer wax it all depends on my mood
Old 07-18-2005, 07:56 AM
JDN
Contributors

Originally Posted by Hamann5' date='Jul 18 2005, 10:52 AM
Polymer and Carnauba waxs are a different story... Everyone likes their own preference.. I used to use polymer religiously but I recently switch to Carnauba.. I found that the Carnauba wax I use lasts a bit longer.. while the polymer wax I would notice it starting to wear down... I still sometimes like to polymer wax it all depends on my mood?
[snapback]150292[/snapback]
The only problem that I have with polymers, think RejeX, is that I feel cheated because I don't get to rub it down as often as I would like to -- no need to. In fifteen months, I have applied RejeX twice and don't have any idea when it will need it again. After every wash it looks freshly polished. I think I am going to have to apply some for therapy whether it needs it or not.
Old 07-18-2005, 11:13 AM
Members

Originally Posted by JDN' date='Jul 18 2005, 09:56 AM
[quote name='Hamann5' date='Jul 18 2005, 10:52 AM']Polymer and Carnauba waxs are a different story... Everyone likes their own preference.. I used to use polymer religiously but I recently switch to Carnauba.. I found that the Carnauba wax I use lasts a bit longer.. while the polymer wax I would notice it starting to wear down... I still sometimes like to polymer wax it all depends on my mood?
[snapback]150292[/snapback]
The only problem that I have with polymers, think RejeX, is that I feel cheated because I don't get to rub it down as often as I would like to -- no need to. In fifteen months, I have applied RejeX twice and don't have any idea when it will need it again. After every wash it looks freshly polished. I think I am going to have to apply some for therapy whether it needs it or not.
[snapback]150295[/snapback]
[/quote]
Three cheers for the Polymers...........I have yet to find a Carnauba that will outlast a Polymer.....(OK, Collinite vs. NXT)
Old 07-18-2005, 07:27 PM
Contributors

Nah I tested the NXT wax vs. my Trade Secret Carnauba wax I def prefer the Trade secret but its only very little difference
Old 07-18-2005, 09:03 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Hamann5' date='Jul 18 2005, 09:27 PM
Nah I tested the NXT wax vs. my Trade Secret Carnauba wax I def prefer the Trade secret but its only very little difference
[snapback]150521[/snapback]
NXT durability is terrible..............
Old 07-24-2005, 09:22 PM
Members

A question then to those of you who have used polymers (I'm thinking of using Zaino), if you didn't use dawn, what did you do to remove the old wax (or what did you do to prep for the polymer)? Thanks!

KM
Old 07-25-2005, 10:34 AM
Members

Originally Posted by KMonster' date='Jul 24 2005, 11:22 PM
A question then to those of you who have used polymers (I'm thinking of using Zaino), if you didn't use dawn, what did you do to remove the old wax (or what did you do to prep for the polymer)?? Thanks!

KM
[snapback]152701[/snapback]
Just polish first. It will remove any previous protection.....
Old 08-04-2005, 04:43 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 525

so does using a clay bar (mothers) remove the layers of wax or not? ive read in another forum that it doesnt????? is that true?

Quick Reply: Removing old wax