Detailing Forum Don't know if that wax is any good? Get your detailing answers and tips here.

Removing old wax

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2005, 02:17 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I see the guys on the Meguiar's forum strongly advise against using any detergents like Dawn to remove wax!

l want to apply Megs Gold Class wax every month (my car is washed twice per week) & then do a full clay-polish-wax every 4-6months (This will remove all contaminants & wax).

Based on the above plan, do you think it is neccessary to remove the old wax before my monthly wax? lf so, with what products if detergents are a bad idea.
Old 07-15-2005, 03:16 PM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by BMW#5' date='Jul 15 2005, 03:17 PM
I see the guys on the Meguiar's forum strongly advise against using any detergents like Dawn to remove wax!

l want to apply Megs Gold Class wax every month (my car is washed twice per week) & then do a full clay-polish-wax every 4-6months (This will remove all contaminants & wax).

Based on the above plan, do you think it is neccessary to remove the old wax before my monthly wax? lf so, with what products if detergents are a bad idea.
[snapback]149518[/snapback]
Do not use any detergent on your car's paint--it will remove all the wax, including on inaccessible surfaces you'll never be able to wax, and they'll be left naked.

If you're using the same wax over time, there's no reason to want to remove the wax. If you're going to use some synthetics, like Zaino, they suggest removing all wax with detergent like Dawn, but don't get me started...

Claying 2 - 3 times a year is a good practice--you'll be amazed at how sommoth the surface feels after a clay and wax.
Old 07-15-2005, 05:32 PM
Members

Originally Posted by stream' date='Jul 15 2005, 05:16 PM
[quote name='BMW#5' date='Jul 15 2005, 03:17 PM']I see the guys on the Meguiar's forum strongly advise against using any detergents like Dawn to remove wax!

[snapback]149518[/snapback]
Do not use any detergent on your car's paint--it will remove all the wax, including on inaccessible surfaces you'll never be able to wax, and they'll be left naked.

If you're using the same wax over time, there's no reason to want to remove the wax. If you're going to use some synthetics, like Zaino, they suggest removing all wax with detergent like Dawn, but don't get me started...

Claying 2 - 3 times a year is a good practice--you'll be amazed at how sommoth the surface feels after a clay and wax.
[snapback]149528[/snapback]
[/quote]

Agreed, dont confuse car care with kitchen care......Use a soap dedicated to car care. Also try using a Quick Detailer between washes, may help you cut down the washings to once a week......
Old 07-15-2005, 06:03 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 530i JETBLACK/BLACK DAKOTA, COLD WEATHER PKG, PREMIUM PKG, ADAPTIVE XENON HEADLIGHTS, AUTO TRANSMISSION WITH 6 SPEED STEPTRONIC, BLUETOOTH SETUP,SAT SETUP AND WIFE AS CO-PILOT

i am getting alot of postive reaction to the gold class wax.... i do love it mys elf the dark colors do really come out.... i dont think i will switch to any other...the detail spraw wax is great too... good choice in wax... eric d
Old 07-15-2005, 08:53 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 525i Jet Black on Grey Interior--- Tint: Sides 20% Rear Windshield 5% Front Windshield 35% Wheels: Zenetti Five's 20" by 8.5(front) 20" by 10(rear)-- Tires: Pirelli Asimmetrico 245/35/20(front) 285/30/20(rear)-- Body: Hamann Full Front Spoiler, Rieger Side Skirts, Rieger Rear Apron, AC Schnitzer Trunk Wing Interior: AC Schnitzer Pedal Set and E-Break Springs: H&R Sport Springs-- Audio: 2 12" Kicker L7's with a Rockford Fosgate 1501bd Amp With Custom Trunk Enclosure SOON TO COME: -M5 Mirrors -M5 Trunk Finsher -Brembo GT Big Brake Kit -Hamann 6 Series Front Spliter Molded -Hamann Roof Wing -Full Custom Sound System with TV's

Believe it or not most soaps now are all formulated to remove wax layers to start off with a fresh paint surface.. but not liek a joe shmo soap like a good quality brand..
Old 07-15-2005, 10:47 PM
Senior Members

Thanks for all the feedback.
I have personally never used any dishwashing detergents on my car for these exact reasons.

lt is worrying that there are so many detailing forums out there where people actually suggest using Dawn, even before a clay & polish.

Surely a good clay & then polish is the ideal way to prepare the paint for wax!
Old 07-16-2005, 05:08 AM
Senior Members

Another quick question for those of you who layer their wax.

Do you wax, Iet it dry buff and then repeat.
or,
Wax let dry, reapply and only then buff?

Thanks.
Old 07-16-2005, 06:22 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 525

its best to wait a few days for the wax to fully cure and harden and then apply another coat. i waited a week in between my two coats of S100 and couldnt be happier with the results.

also, make sure youre using a pure wax...with no cleaners in it. using a wax with cleaners on top of a wax with cleaners is redudant.
Old 07-16-2005, 09:42 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 530I Black/Black, Premium/Sport, Navigation 2005 545I Silver/Black, Premium/Sport, Logic 7, Navigation

Wait few days for the wax to fully cure and apply the second layer of wax? My car is dusted within 2 hours after the first waxing.
Old 07-18-2005, 05:40 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 525

well wash the car first

Quick Reply: Removing old wax