Detailing Forum Don't know if that wax is any good? Get your detailing answers and tips here.

Rejex Redux

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2006, 09:58 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 530i Silver Gray, Black Dakota Leather, Dark Poplar Trim, Premium Package, Sport Package (Bridgestone RFTs), Logic 7 Sound System, Nav System, Split Folding Rear Seats, Power Rear Sunshade, Park Distance Control.

Last night I coated my new car with Rejex. It's now at the end of the twelve hour "curing" stage so I thought I'd leave some comments to help people shopping for sealants.

I have zero experience finishing cars. I've always been against the idea of babying a vehicle, but my car is so spanking new that I figure it wouldn't hurt to give the paint some protection and find a way to make all that fresh brake dust easier to swab off on a weekly basis. Rejex seems like stuff that might accomplish these goals.

The car looks great, Chris Bangle "flame surfacing" in full effect. I wouldn't describe the shine as showcar-deep, and wouldn't want it that "wet" anyway, but it's definitely glossier than it was on the car's arrival three weeks ago. I still can't comment on Rejex's durability or how well it protects against bugs and streetcrap; others have reviewed those traits and I'll chime in as time goes on.

I cleaned the car in detail yesterday and let it hang to dry in the garage for four hours to drain all the cracks. Then I waited for the sun to stop beating on the garage door as the instructions say not to apply in temps over 85 degrees. That evening I swabbed Rejex all over the car with cotton wax applicator pads. I think I might've slathered it on a bit thick because it took a while to dry to the prescribed haze. Once it did, I started wiping it off with soft cotton rags. Sometimes as I was wiping, little areas of sticky residue collected and needed extra elbow grease. Like I say, I might have done something wrong but the process wasn't as easy as I'd heard. From initial application to final wipedown took about three and a half hours, with the wife grabbing a second towel for a half an hour out of pity.

If I had it to do again I'd maybe put a little less on and extend the drying time. This might lead to a slightly chalkier dried consistency which would cut down on the buffing away of accumulated wax. As it was, I used up about a half a bottle and a few yards of cotton cloth. I also scraped excess out of cracks with Q-Tip type things, which was tedium I probably brought on myself. If you have any tips to offer, I'm all ears (npi).

The interesting part of this story will be in a few weeks when we see how water is beading and bugkill is wiping off. For now, I recommend Rejex with the proviso that it's not as easy a job as some make it sound, but it does make the car look great.
Old 07-02-2006, 11:39 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Wow half a bottle? hahaha I think you used like twice as much as I did... I was able to get 4 cars in with one bottle... maybe thats why you had so much chalk build up. I get a little of that in certain areas sometimes...
Old 07-02-2006, 12:53 PM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW 545iA Black Sapphire
Model Year: 2005
Engine: 545i

Originally Posted by Geno' post='306132' date='Jul 2 2006, 07:58 PM
Last night I coated my new car with Rejex. It's now at the end of the twelve hour "curing" stage so I thought I'd leave some comments to help people shopping for sealants.

I have zero experience finishing cars. I've always been against the idea of babying a vehicle, but my car is so spanking new that I figure it wouldn't hurt to give the paint some protection and find a way to make all that fresh brake dust easier to swab off on a weekly basis. Rejex seems like stuff that might accomplish these goals.

The car looks great, Chris Bangle "flame surfacing" in full effect. I wouldn't describe the shine as showcar-deep, and wouldn't want it that "wet" anyway, but it's definitely glossier than it was on the car's arrival three weeks ago. I still can't comment on Rejex's durability or how well it protects against bugs and streetcrap; others have reviewed those traits and I'll chime in as time goes on.

I cleaned the car in detail yesterday and let it hang to dry in the garage for four hours to drain all the cracks. Then I waited for the sun to stop beating on the garage door as the instructions say not to apply in temps over 85 degrees. That evening I swabbed Rejex all over the car with cotton wax applicator pads. I think I might've slathered it on a bit thick because it took a while to dry to the prescribed haze. Once it did, I started wiping it off with soft cotton rags. Sometimes as I was wiping, little areas of sticky residue collected and needed extra elbow grease. Like I say, I might have done something wrong but the process wasn't as easy as I'd heard. From initial application to final wipedown took about three and a half hours, with the wife grabbing a second towel for a half an hour out of pity.

If I had it to do again I'd maybe put a little less on and extend the drying time. This might lead to a slightly chalkier dried consistency which would cut down on the buffing away of accumulated wax. As it was, I used up about a half a bottle and a few yards of cotton cloth. I also scraped excess out of cracks with Q-Tip type things, which was tedium I probably brought on myself. If you have any tips to offer, I'm all ears (npi).

The interesting part of this story will be in a few weeks when we see how water is beading and bugkill is wiping off. For now, I recommend Rejex with the proviso that it's not as easy a job as some make it sound, but it does makes the car look great.
Good effort !
....however I disagree with the degree of difficulty you mentioned. After 20 months of using it, I find it pretty
easy putting it on and equally off since day one. Had good advice on how to use it though from JDN.

For you it was a simple matter of "Search"

Old 07-02-2006, 02:59 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 530i Silver Gray, Black Dakota Leather, Dark Poplar Trim, Premium Package, Sport Package (Bridgestone RFTs), Logic 7 Sound System, Nav System, Split Folding Rear Seats, Power Rear Sunshade, Park Distance Control.

Hi Andy,

Thanks for the link. I'd already read your previous writeup, which influenced my decision to use Rejex. I just reread it and noticed that it was a four hour process for you. I'm assuming that meant including the car wash, is that right?

My Rejex process took 3.5 hours and my wash about an hour, so maybe we're both looking at the about same amount of work, which I'm calling hard and you're calling easy.
Old 07-02-2006, 03:01 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: I have a 2007 Black Sapphire BMW 530i with SMG. It has the auburn interior, has PDC, Sports Package, Premium Package, rear automatic sunshades with manual side sunshades, 35% black tint, Upgraded angeleyes from Angelibrights, and Logic 7 Sound System
Model Year: 2007

does it leave any white residue on the plastics?
Old 07-02-2006, 03:07 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by houbmw' post='306212' date='Jul 2 2006, 04:01 PM
does it leave any white residue on the plastics?
Which plastics? the B-Pillers? I actually Rejexed mine...
Old 07-02-2006, 03:08 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Geno' post='306211' date='Jul 2 2006, 03:59 PM
so maybe we're both looking at the about same amount of work, which I'm calling hard and you're calling easy.

Ahhahahah considering you like to leave your cars dirty... I guess 3.5 hours of work is hard... I think its hard too... I usually like to spend less than 2 hours... but thats never the case... a regular wash and dry takes me about 2 hours... was dry and wax takes me like 4. :'(
Old 07-02-2006, 03:22 PM
Contributors

So, it sounds like I spent the usual amount of time or maybe even less. Amazing that anyone calls four hours of squatting and rubbing "easy"...or maybe I'm just a lazyass?
Old 07-02-2006, 03:26 PM
JDN
Contributors

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='306152' date='Jul 2 2006, 02:39 PM
Wow half a bottle? hahaha I think you used like twice as much as I did... I was able to get 4 cars in with one bottle... maybe thats why you had so much chalk build up. I get a little of that in certain areas sometimes...
I'm even more sparing. I can get both cars four times plus some relatives' out of one bottle. "Just a li'l dab will do ya" -- from a very old Brylcream advertisement.
Old 07-02-2006, 03:26 PM
Contributors

I Rejexed the black plastic pillars to good effect, though I can see matte patches peeking through where I missed spots in those particular areas thanks to the matte finish of the plastic. No residue though except up around the fuzzy part of the window seals.

I did, however, skip the windshield and the head and tailights--the windshield because reports of chattering wiper blades from the slickness, and the head and tailights because they're clear plastic and I wasn't sure about long term fogging and coloration.

Does everyone else cover these areas?

Quick Reply: Rejex Redux