Detailing Forum Don't know if that wax is any good? Get your detailing answers and tips here.

Question on waxing...

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2005, 07:08 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

I recently waxed my car for the first time and immediately developed the creaking door problem on all four doors. I will bring it in next week for the Carbaflo treatment, but my question is how do I wax the car in the future and avoid the door issue. I was just doing a quick job, using a McGuire's spray application, but to avoid over spray I was spraying onto my microfiber cloth then applying to the car. Needless to say I was very annoyed at the door creaking problem.

How do I apply wax to avoid this in the future? Or is the issue the type of wax I used? Might there have been silicone in the wax and I should switch to some other brand with a better formula? I asked my SA "How am I supposed to wax my car then?" All I got was a blank look back.... Thanks for any suggestions/hints.

Ken
Old 02-25-2005, 08:37 AM
Members

Heres another blank look...........

It doesnt make any sense to wax your car, and suddenly your doors squeek??? Let me add that a quick detailing product is not considered a wax job!
Old 02-25-2005, 08:45 AM
Contributors

True on the detailing part, the bottle called the product a wax, but point taken. Unfortunately, this is a well known problem on 5 series. If you open one of the doors and look at the seal, there is a strip of felt then the rubber gasket. If you get wax products on this felt strip, the door will make a very obnoxious creaking/sqeaking sound with every bump as the felt rubs the frame of the car. Do a search in the forum and you will see it is a much discussed problem.
Old 02-25-2005, 09:42 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW 545iA Black Sapphire
Model Year: 2005
Engine: 545i

First up, I'd avoid the spray type wax jobs. Cloth or not.
I had some instance of creaking/squeaking door seals, but strangely after treating my car with Rejex, including the door rim area, haven't had any squeaking since.
Old 02-25-2005, 05:57 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E46 320i, M3 paddle shift, Sat Nav

Originally Posted by kscarrol' date='Feb 26 2005, 12:08 AM
I recently waxed my car for the first time and immediately developed the creaking door problem on all four doors.? I will bring it in next week for the Carbaflo treatment, but my question is how do I wax the car in the future and avoid the door issue.? I was just doing a quick job, using a McGuire's spray application, but to avoid over spray I was spraying onto my microfiber cloth then applying to the car.? Needless to say I was very annoyed at the door creaking problem.

How do I apply wax to avoid this in the future?? Or is the issue the type of wax I used?? Might there have been silicone in the wax and I should switch to some other brand with a better formula?? I asked my SA "How am I supposed to wax my car then?"? All I got was a blank look back....? Thanks for any suggestions/hints.

Ken
[snapback]94280[/snapback]

Wax will never cause any noise on doors. The most it will cause are your wipers to judder. Maybe you would like to check with your dealer about the noise as its quite common on E60s.
Old 02-25-2005, 06:33 PM
Members

My Ride: Born Date 9, 1 2004. 2005 530i, silver gray, steptronic, nav, Adaptive xenon, premium pkg, cold weather pkg, premium sound pkg, Euro rear reflector. MP3 Enabled

Yes, rejex is awsome product that I ever used on my car... never had any squeaking/creaking noise even I apply to everywhere..

and thank you for information kscarrol about BMW doors that makes squeaking/creaking noise. never thought of that.
Old 02-28-2005, 08:56 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by russo' date='Feb 25 2005, 08:57 PM
Wax will never cause any noise on doors. The most it will cause are your wipers to judder. Maybe you would like to check with your dealer about the noise as its quite common on E60s.?
[snapback]94531[/snapback]
Thx russo, I have researched this subject and most report it starting after washing and/or waxing their cars. As near as I can tell, the culprit is wax getting on the door framing where the felt pads meet the door frame. BMW uses silicone remover to clean the doors and frames, then applies the carbaflo.

After browsing through the detailing forum and reading about how some wash their cars w/ Dawn to remove old wax, I tried this as a home remedy. Using a small cup of detergent and water, I used a soft cloth to clean the inside of my door frames and the felt lining. Creaking is now essentially gone. Will still likely go to dealer for the carbaflo treatment though, as long as its on their nickel.
Old 02-28-2005, 12:26 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: GONE BUT NOT FOGOTTEN : 530d SE Auto : Titanium Grey / Anthracite Leather, Poplar Trim, 18in 123 Style Alloys, Adaptive Bi-Xenons, Business Nav, Hi-Fi Speaker Package, Heated seats, Split-Fold Rear Seats LR DISCO 3 HSE with everything (including 3 kids)

Originally Posted by andy545' date='Feb 25 2005, 06:42 PM
First up, I'd avoid the spray type wax jobs. Cloth or not.
I had some instance of creaking/squeaking door seals, but strangely after treating my car with Rejex, including the door rim area, haven't had any squeaking since.
[snapback]94343[/snapback]
Wow - could that be true. I have a bottle or Rejex sitting in my garage waiting for a clear day to clean and treat my car.

My doorframes also squeeks like hell - despite being 'fixed' by the dealer. I think I might try a little experiment.