5Series.net - Forums

5Series.net - Forums (https://5series.net/forums/)
-   Detailing Forum (https://5series.net/forums/detailing-forum-15/)
-   -   Professionally how to clean leather ?! (https://5series.net/forums/detailing-forum-15/professionally-how-clean-leather-3101/)

ISUK 09-21-2004 05:48 AM

RodyBMW,

Can you buy Autoglym products in the US? If not buy it via the net. They do a great leather cleaner which will keep the matte look of the leather. It comes in a pump action type bottle and looks like a thick syrup when sprayed onto the leather. Just use a clean cloth to wipe it over, into and off the leather. The results are superb.

I used it clean an Alfa 156 leather interior with. This car had been used by one of my managers for 3 years and he had put some kind of high shine spray cleaner on the seats before handing it back when he was given a new car. I decided to give the car a thorough detail before selling it to raise its price. The interior came up like new with the Autoglym leather cleaner. The seats were returned to their original as new matte finish. I sold it to a motor dealer and he offered me a job as his valeter but I politely declined :D

I've used it on my E60 a couple of times with great results but have to say that I have never experienced the leather in a BMW going shiny on me. Either I don't keep the cars long enough for it to happen or I don't slide around enough on the seats to cause the wear.

gf366 09-21-2004 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by JDN' date='Sep 21 2004, 04:27 AM
I would think that anything that cuts oil and grease would be too stringent for leather. I use Neatsfoot oil on my boots to soften the leather. Not that I would use that on the seats, but the point seems to be that removing oil with a strong cleaner like alcohol or Simple Green might not be in the best interest of the leather.

Honestly, I don't know if alchol had done a great job to my previous Bimmer (or maybe it just sits too much in the garage!!!), there wasn't much crack or faded color after few years of driving....

I wasn't going to believe the guy to tell me to do this too, but his explaination is: If it's not going to harm your skin, it's not going to harm the leather seats... :unsure: I'm not too sure abt that too.... :unsure:

gf366 09-21-2004 07:42 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This is my only photo that has the seats.... This picture was take for the car w/ about 4+ years of age.... I think they are not too bad for this kind of age... :P

530E60NL 09-21-2004 07:43 AM

The seats look great!!!! :thumbsup:

alohalc 09-21-2004 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by gf366' date='Sep 21 2004, 05:42 AM
This is my only photo that has the seats.... This picture was take for the car w/ about 4+ years of age.... I think they are not too bad for this kind of age... :P

the seats look cool :cool:...but your mats <_< :whistle:. and looks like there is one hot chick on the tv screen :wow:!

my530i 09-21-2004 04:42 PM

alohalc,
You have very sharp chick-hunting eyes :wow:

my530i 09-21-2004 04:45 PM

gf366,

The interior looks clean except the floor mat. Time to change for a new one, but I guess you're still in love the the M symbol :wub:

gf366 09-21-2004 08:25 PM

Actually the car was sold already, that picture was taken almost right before I sold my car!

I think the seats are still in very good condition, but I think the leather for my M Roadster was a different leather from my E60, right? Is that the reason its easier to maintain?

Alohalc, you do definitely have good eyes, I was playing a DVD, it's a concert from a band called "Twins", very famous in Hong Kong/ China... :D

alohalc 09-21-2004 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by my530i' date='Sep 21 2004, 02:42 PM
alohalc,
You have very sharp chick-hunting eyes? :wow:
[snapback]36805[/snapback]

oh, not only that. girls like to go shopping w/me because i spot the "sale" signs a lot better than them :wow: :lol:! btw, chick-hunting eyes = pervert, right <_< :whistle:?

alohalc 09-21-2004 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by gf366' date='Sep 21 2004, 06:25 PM
Alohalc, you do definitely have good eyes, I was playing a DVD, it's a concert from a band called "Twins", very famous in Hong Kong/ China... :D
[snapback]36839[/snapback]

only a concert <_<? or something else you don't want to tell us :shifty: :whistle:.