Detailing Forum Don't know if that wax is any good? Get your detailing answers and tips here.

Procedures for touch-up paint

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 06:20 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i, Orient Blue/Beige, Navigation, Premium Sound, Cold Weather, PDC, split-folding rear seats, DIY iPod. DIY Valentine 1 hardwire, loose nut behind the wheel.
Thumbs up

OK, so cmansbimmer and almost everybody else here have convinced me that I am doing my baby a disservice if I don't Zaino her as soon as the weather allows. I have the kit and am just itching to get started, but the car has a couple of minor chips that are large enough to warrant using the touch-up paint kit I got from my stealer before I put umpteen coats of Zaino on her. Unfortunately, the instructions that came with the touch-up paint leave something to be desired.

Questions:
  1. Has anyone used this stuff with success?
  2. How can I ensure that the paint and clearcoat bond properly?
  3. How do I make sure I don't end up with a bubble or bulge?
  4. How long should each layer dry before I put on the next one?
  5. How do I need to prep the surface (wash,remove any existing wax/polish, clay, all of the above?)
I bought the car as a CPO a couple of months ago and have no way of knowing what, if any, wax/polish has already been applied. Thanks in advance any advice you can provide.
Old 03-22-2007, 07:41 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check http://www.langka.com/
and http://www.carcareonline.com/viewarticle.aspx?art=8

I have used langka myself and I can tell you it works. The secret in the whole process is not to oversand the area.

However, no matter what they advertise if you look close you will see the repair but the improvement from 3 feet away is great.
Old 03-22-2007, 09:22 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 525

ive used langka too, and like e60m5e60 said, from really up-close you can see the touch up (thats inevitable), but from 2 feet away its invisible.
i also dont like the 'wrapping a rag around the card they provide' method...wayy too time consuming. just rub the area down with their polish and its fine.

wash and dry the surface. i like to use some rubbing alcohol to completely remove all excess wax around the chip. apply the paint carefully, ideally you should use a small artists' paint brush and not the brush that comes with the paint. wait a day for it to dry and redo as often as you want...ideally to fill up the entire chip. then go at it with the langka (light pressure, DONT rub too hard). ive never used the clearcoat that came with the paint.
Old 03-23-2007, 05:33 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i, Orient Blue/Beige, Navigation, Premium Sound, Cold Weather, PDC, split-folding rear seats, DIY iPod. DIY Valentine 1 hardwire, loose nut behind the wheel.

Langka it is! I would never expect it to be a perfect solution upon close inspection, but little spots of white primer tend to show up pretty easily on my Orient Blue car. Having those spots be indistinguishable from 3 feet is a much better situation than what I currently have. Thanks for the help, guys!
Old 03-23-2007, 05:47 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

Originally Posted by Wildcat' post='405615
Check http://www.langka.com/
and http://www.carcareonline.com/viewarticle.aspx?art=8

I have used langka myself and I can tell you it works. The secret in the whole process is not to oversand the area.

However, no matter what they advertise if you look close you will see the repair but the improvement from 3 feet away is great.
Thanks for this guys. I'm going to order this stuff too. My hood needs it bad.
Old 03-23-2007, 05:55 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by cmansbimmer' post='405986' date='Mar 23 2007, 09:47 AM
Hey Wildcat - Good luck with the detail this weekend! Take pix when you're done.
Thanks for this guys. I'm going to order this stuff too. My hood needs it bad.
Pix will be forthcoming, but sadly it won't be this weekend. My wife gets to enjoy the 5er for a week while I enjoy the ride in various cabs around London and Madrid to attend meetings and a conference. At this rate it will be July before I get a chance to Zaino the ride, but I'm looking forward to that sweet, sweet day!
Old 03-23-2007, 06:18 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Wildcat' post='405990' date='Mar 23 2007, 08:55 AM
Pix will be forthcoming, but sadly it won't be this weekend. My wife gets to enjoy the 5er for a week while I enjoy the ride in various cabs around London and Madrid to attend meetings and a conference. At this rate it will be July before I get a chance to Zaino the ride, but I'm looking forward to that sweet, sweet day!
Maybe you can ask your wife to do the chip repairs as a favor for the ride. Just a thought
Old 03-23-2007, 11:51 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by E60M5E60' post='405994' date='Mar 23 2007, 10:18 AM
Maybe you can ask your wife to do the chip repairs as a favor for the ride. Just a thought
Spoken like a true single man!