Detailing Forum Don't know if that wax is any good? Get your detailing answers and tips here.

Pictures of my DONE 545i

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2005, 02:31 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW 545iA Black Sapphire
Model Year: 2005
Engine: 545i

fabulous !!
Old 05-22-2005, 05:31 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Thunderbirds are GO!
Old 05-22-2005, 05:55 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by alohalc' date='May 22 2005, 04:28 AM
$750 detail job ?? no wonder it looks so good.? it better be .
[snapback]131814[/snapback]
No doubt, what it included for that much money?

Looks pretty sharp though.
Old 05-22-2005, 07:12 AM
JDN
Contributors

Great pictures of a terrific car. The first picture really says it all. That is the best angle that shows the powerful presence and stance of the car. Easy to mistake it for a 745 size model at that angle. Shiny black is definitely the best color.
Old 05-22-2005, 09:39 AM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by Merzbow' date='May 21 2005, 10:04 PM
This is a $750 detailing job you're looking at, btw. Izzy at Diablo Automotive in Mountain View, CA is the top detailer in NorCal - he's a genius.
[snapback]131715[/snapback]
Looks nice. I knew Diablo was expensive, but that's unbelievable!
Old 05-22-2005, 09:54 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545i Sport Auto (see sig)

Originally Posted by stream' date='May 22 2005, 10:39 AM
[quote name='Merzbow' date='May 21 2005, 10:04 PM']This is a $750 detailing job you're looking at, btw. Izzy at Diablo Automotive in Mountain View, CA is the top detailer in NorCal - he's a genius.
[snapback]131890[/snapback]
[/quote]

They had it for two days... it took that long to get all the swirls out. There was a jet-black Cayenne there they had for five days, that was a $2000 job. I thought this was nuts until I started browsing the autopia.org forums, it's pretty much standard for it to take days to completely polish a black car. It's only this much for the first visit, from now on I only need to take it back about once every four months for a $200 job. In between I should interact with the finish as lightly as possible he told me - hand wash once a month or only when necessary, light detail spray after rain or once a week, Cali car duster every day.
Old 05-22-2005, 10:28 AM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by Merzbow' date='May 22 2005, 10:54 AM
[quote name='stream' date='May 22 2005, 10:39 AM'][quote name='Merzbow' date='May 21 2005, 10:04 PM']This is a $750 detailing job you're looking at, btw. Izzy at Diablo Automotive in Mountain View, CA is the top detailer in NorCal - he's a genius.
[/quote]

They had it for two days... it took that long to get all the swirls out. There was a jet-black Cayenne there they had for five days, that was a $2000 job. I thought this was nuts until I started browsing the autopia.org forums, it's pretty much standard for it to take days to completely polish a black car. It's only this much for the first visit, from now on I only need to take it back about once every four months for a $200 job. In between I should interact with the finish as lightly as possible he told me - hand wash once a month or only when necessary, light detail spray after rain or once a week, Cali car duster every day.
[snapback]131891[/snapback]
[/quote]

California car dusters are great, especially in places like the bay area where it won't rain much for the next 6 months. I have one for the exterior, a dash duster for the interior, and a mini duster for the wheels. The key to dusting the paint is to support the weight of the handle and only allow the "mop" part to lightly dust the surface, and shake out 4 or 5 times while dusting the car. I'll probably only get it washed every 3 or 4 weeks until the rainy season starts again.
Old 05-22-2005, 11:07 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545i Sport Auto (see sig)

Originally Posted by stream' date='May 22 2005, 11:28 AM
[quote name='Merzbow' date='May 22 2005, 10:54 AM'][quote name='stream' date='May 22 2005, 10:39 AM'][quote name='Merzbow' date='May 21 2005, 10:04 PM']This is a $750 detailing job you're looking at, btw. Izzy at Diablo Automotive in Mountain View, CA is the top detailer in NorCal - he's a genius.
[/quote]

[/quote]

California car dusters are great, especially in places like the bay area where it won't rain much for the next 6 months. I have one for the exterior, a dash duster for the interior, and a mini duster for the wheels. The key to dusting the paint is to support the weight of the handle and only allow the "mop" part to lightly dust the surface, and shake out 4 or 5 times while dusting the car. I'll probably only get it washed every 3 or 4 weeks until the rainy season starts again.
[snapback]131903[/snapback]
[/quote]

How often should I wash the duster (with soap&water it says)? Somebody I spoke to said that once the duster gets dirty enough, it will drag particles all over your finish and ruin it. But how dirty is dirty enough?
Old 05-22-2005, 03:16 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Merzbow' date='May 22 2005, 12:07 PM
[quote name='stream' date='May 22 2005, 11:28 AM'][quote name='Merzbow' date='May 22 2005, 10:54 AM'][quote name='stream' date='May 22 2005, 10:39 AM'][quote name='Merzbow' date='May 21 2005, 10:04 PM']This is a $750 detailing job you're looking at, btw. Izzy at Diablo Automotive in Mountain View, CA is the top detailer in NorCal - he's a genius.
[/quote]

[/quote]

[snapback]131903[/snapback]
[/quote]

How often should I wash the duster (with soap&water it says)? Somebody I spoke to said that once the duster gets dirty enough, it will drag particles all over your finish and ruin it. But how dirty is dirty enough?
[snapback]131929[/snapback]
[/quote]

I've had my California duster 5 years and have never washed it. Keep in mind I have never used it on a car with anything more than road dust on it--never after a heavy rain drive when the dirt accumulation on the car was very visible, or if anything close to mud had accumulated on the car. I make sure to shake it out several times while dusting the car. Maybe once a year, I take a few paper towels and rub back and forth on it to release any large particles.

If you read their website, they say it actually works better the dirtier it gets, and I can tell you that mine is as much black as it is red, and at many concours events I've been to, owners of pristine show quality cars also have dusters that look well used.
Old 05-22-2005, 04:00 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 525i Jet Black on Grey Interior--- Tint: Sides 20% Rear Windshield 5% Front Windshield 35% Wheels: Zenetti Five's 20" by 8.5(front) 20" by 10(rear)-- Tires: Pirelli Asimmetrico 245/35/20(front) 285/30/20(rear)-- Body: Hamann Full Front Spoiler, Rieger Side Skirts, Rieger Rear Apron, AC Schnitzer Trunk Wing Interior: AC Schnitzer Pedal Set and E-Break Springs: H&R Sport Springs-- Audio: 2 12" Kicker L7's with a Rockford Fosgate 1501bd Amp With Custom Trunk Enclosure SOON TO COME: -M5 Mirrors -M5 Trunk Finsher -Brembo GT Big Brake Kit -Hamann 6 Series Front Spliter Molded -Hamann Roof Wing -Full Custom Sound System with TV's

Originally Posted by Merzbow' date='May 22 2005, 12:54 PM
light detail spray after rain or once a week, Cali car duster every day.
As a detailer..Thats something I do not reccomend..when doing this procedure you risk putting swirls back into the car because you do not have a clean surface.. yes you would think you are cleaning it with the spray but the spray wont lift up all the particles and then you will proceed to wipe in the particles thus creating more swirls... I always ALWAYS wash my car before doing anyhting with detailing.. the dust buster is fine to use but anyhting else I personally do not recommend without a wash..

BTW that cars looking great man... its screaming for some tints now

Quick Reply: Pictures of my DONE 545i