Detailing Forum Don't know if that wax is any good? Get your detailing answers and tips here.

Picking up new car soon

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2005, 01:03 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 520d GT, Blue, Beige Dakota Leather, Pro Sat Nav, Interior Lights Pack, Adaptive Lights, Advanced Aircon

Hi

I'll be picking up my car in the next 1-2 weeks (see signature) and would be grateful for some advice:

Exterior
- What are the best waxes to use to keep the car looking good & protecting the paintwork, I've heard meguire's is good & is available in UK.
- How often should I wax to keep up the look & protection (15k miles per year)
- Dealership have advised me that car will be detailed (waxed) when I pick it up - how soon afterwards should I redo the wax

Interior
- Can you recommend good quality leather care agents (First time with leather seats)
- What to use, when, why & how often?
- What can I use to keep the interior trim looking good.

..... any other advice appreciated too!

UK specific if poss please.

Thanks

Pete
Old 03-23-2005, 03:55 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GB525dTour' date='Mar 23 2005, 10:03 AM
Exterior
- What are the best waxes to use to keep the car looking good & protecting the paintwork, I've heard meguire's is good & is available in UK.
- How often should I wax to keep up the look & protection (15k miles per year)
- Dealership have advised me that car will be detailed (waxed) when I pick it up - how soon afterwards should I redo the wax
i use meguiars "gold class" shampoo to wash the car, excellent product and does not strip off the wax coating. Also use their "wash mitt" which makes things a LOT easier and is loads better than a sponge due to the fact if any debris sneaks in between the mitt and the paint it tends to get sucked into the mitt and therefore does not produce nice swirl marks on the finish!!

normally wax the car with the meguiars "STEP 3 - Deep Crystal Carnauba Wax" as the paint work is new the steps 1 and 2 products should not really be required. in terms of frequency i would say i wax the car once every 3-4 washes.

Originally Posted by GB525dTour' date='Mar 23 2005, 10:03 AM
Interior
- Can you recommend good quality leather care agents (First time with leather seats)
- What to use, when, why & how often?
- What can I use to keep the interior trim looking good.
for leather I use meguiars "Gold Class Leather Cleaner and Conditioner", only use it about once every two months. mostly there is only me/my partner in the car...i know i know why have an E60 when there's only 2 of you....so the seats don't get a lot of abuse, different if you have kids though.

for the trim i find their "NXT Tech Protectant" product works very well.