Detailing Forum Don't know if that wax is any good? Get your detailing answers and tips here.

Paint Chips on the Hood

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 08:07 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got a 2008 Platinum Grey Metallic 535i with the sports package. Great Car!

Taken a few dings on the hood from road debris that have resulted in a few very small paint chips. Anyone have any recommendations on best products or methods to repair the chips?
Old 09-27-2010, 02:49 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Navy 550I

Nothing really but to repaint again and put the clear bra!!!
Old 09-27-2010, 04:33 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

I just bought the Dr. Colochip system and going to try it this week on a couple of rock chips on my hood. Will let you guys know how it turns out.
Old 09-27-2010, 05:31 PM
Contributors

My Ride: '10 Switzer "Ultimate Street Edition" GT-R

Originally Posted by kane1111
Nothing really but to repaint again and put the clear bra!!!
That is not true...If you repaint the car it will bring down the value...If somebody was to use a paint meter on the car they would know you repainted it and throw a red flag...A good detailer could use touch up paint,wet sand it and then use some rubbing compound and you would never even know...
Old 09-27-2010, 06:58 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by skeeter
That is not true...If you repaint the car it will bring down the value...If somebody was to use a paint meter on the car they would know you repainted it and throw a red flag...A good detailer could use touch up paint,wet sand it and then use some rubbing compound and you would never even know...
Great...I repainted my whole front end some time last year cause of rock chips; bumper, hood, fenders. hahaha Put on clear bra after that but got a couple of rock chips high up.
Old 09-27-2010, 09:03 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by EuroCarFan
I just bought the Dr. Colochip system and going to try it this week on a couple of rock chips on my hood. Will let you guys know how it turns out.
I've tried Dr. colorchip and it works great tony. Hope it works as well for you as long you keep filling up the rock chip with more paint then wet sand it then buff it clean.
Old 10-03-2010, 05:06 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Cwest
I've tried Dr. colorchip and it works great tony. Hope it works as well for you as long you keep filling up the rock chip with more paint then wet sand it then buff it clean.
Thanks for the replies. I was considering the Dr. Colorchip so I'll be interested to know how it works out.

Jim
Old 10-05-2010, 08:08 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 09 M5 (E60) Interlagos blue, Silverstone interior, with cold weather package. Adaptive Xenon headlamps and adaptive brake lights, hud, comfort access. Comfort seats, basically fully loaded.

never repaint it... like the guy said if they use the paint meter, thats a big no no... they'll consider it wrecked and repainted car.... I went through that hell with my 06 m5 that i traded in :thumbsdown: ... Gud luck guys.
Old 10-05-2010, 08:18 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Shezmon
never repaint it... like the guy said if they use the paint meter, thats a big no no... they'll consider it wrecked and repainted car.... I went through that hell with my 06 m5 that i traded in :thumbsdown: ... Gud luck guys.
I think you guys are being overly cautious with the repaint thing. If a buyer is that careful to have a shop use a paint meter on your car then that same shop should be skilled enough to examine other aspects of the car to determine whether it was actually damaged or not.
Old 10-05-2010, 09:30 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by EuroCarFan
I think you guys are being overly cautious with the repaint thing. If a buyer is that careful to have a shop use a paint meter on your car then that same shop should be skilled enough to examine other aspects of the car to determine whether it was actually damaged or not.
Well said.

Quick Reply: Paint Chips on the Hood