Detailing Forum Don't know if that wax is any good? Get your detailing answers and tips here.

Orbital Polisher

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2005, 09:33 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd like to get an orbital polisher. What would be a good one to buy? I see Griot's Garage Random Orbital for $129.99 but don't know if it's a good one or not. Any suggestions?
Old 12-30-2005, 06:30 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 525i Jet Black on Grey Interior--- Tint: Sides 20% Rear Windshield 5% Front Windshield 35% Wheels: Zenetti Five's 20" by 8.5(front) 20" by 10(rear)-- Tires: Pirelli Asimmetrico 245/35/20(front) 285/30/20(rear)-- Body: Hamann Full Front Spoiler, Rieger Side Skirts, Rieger Rear Apron, AC Schnitzer Trunk Wing Interior: AC Schnitzer Pedal Set and E-Break Springs: H&R Sport Springs-- Audio: 2 12" Kicker L7's with a Rockford Fosgate 1501bd Amp With Custom Trunk Enclosure SOON TO COME: -M5 Mirrors -M5 Trunk Finsher -Brembo GT Big Brake Kit -Hamann 6 Series Front Spliter Molded -Hamann Roof Wing -Full Custom Sound System with TV's

Most places will tell you to get the Porter Cable one I personally ahve one as well.. works like a charm
Old 12-30-2005, 07:17 AM
Members

I would suggest PorterCable 7424.
It is really nice.
Luca
Old 12-30-2005, 09:15 AM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by Blackonblackonblack' post='217119' date='Dec 29 2005, 10:33 PM
I'd like to get an orbital polisher. What would be a good one to buy? I see Griot's Garage Random Orbital for $129.99 but don't know if it's a good one or not. Any suggestions?
The Griot's is a Porter Cable--and it's overpriced. Here's a good source for the Porter Cable 7424--it's cheaper and includes an accessory kit:
http://www.coastaltool.com/cgi-bin/SoftCar....htm?L+coastest
Old 12-30-2005, 02:45 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

Cyclo polishers are awesome.

I have one. It was expensive, but well worth it.

I ordered mine from http://www.topoftheline.com/tolae/cyclo-polisher.html which is where I get all my detailing products.

I suggest using it with their Light Powercut Leveler.... once every 6 months to 1 year. Follow with Trade Secret carnauba paste wax by hand.
Old 12-30-2005, 03:03 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 530I, born February 05, orient blue, gray leather, premium package, sport package, poplar grain wood trim, 6-speed steptronic, xenon adaptive, red rear reflectors, bluetooth Razr V3C, staggered 19" style 128 wheel/Michelins

Porter Cable!
Old 12-31-2005, 08:17 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

Cyclo is better than Porter, though.

It's dual head, and true single-hand operation. Its idiotproof.
Old 01-18-2006, 07:25 PM
Members

So what drives the price of a orbital buffer? If they are random orbit and low torque, do you really need to spend 100 bucks? What's wrong with a $30 dollar Black and Decker? Given that you can use your hand or a buffer, I would assume anything faster than your hand would be a improvement. But I am new to all this and I just want to make sure I do the right thing. I don't want to mess up the paint job on MY WIFE'S car, so I'll spend the money for a Porter if I need too.
Old 01-18-2006, 07:34 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Blackonblackonblack' post='217119' date='Dec 30 2005, 12:33 AM
I have the Porter Cable 7424 from Griots. I got it for Xmas and my wife used a 15% discount coupon. Still a bit overpriced, but the Porter Cable is AWESOME. I use all Griots stuff, religously and haven't had an issue.

I clayed my 06 with Griots Clay and Speed Shine. Then I put the red pad on the Porter Cable, dabbed a little Best of show wax on the pad, and worked a small section at a time. It really made the cars finish POP and burnished the wax in. I used to be a hand wax only guy, but this Random Orbital makes me a believer. I will never go back to hand polishing again.

The only downside is I tried to use the machine to remove wax with their wax removal bonnet, but it didn't work so well. I could have let the wax sit too long. I had to remove it by hand.

Good luck on your purchase. As others have mentioned, the Porter Cable can be bought through Cheaper sources and Griots recently introduced their "Own" brand, presumbly to cut down on people buying the PC from other less expensive sources.

Regards, Mike.
Old 01-22-2006, 10:42 AM
Senior Members

don't orbital polisher's increase the risk of swirl mark?

call me stupid, but I do it by hand in straight lines with Zaino

IMHO Zaino is the best wax out there

Quick Reply: Orbital Polisher