Detailing Forum Don't know if that wax is any good? Get your detailing answers and tips here.

Old wax removal

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 05:19 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Need some help here fellas,

Just bought new (to me) 545i and the dash has some wax (I'm thinking it is a wax from California Duster) on it, that is really hard to remove. It is applied very thick, and I have tried wet rag, BMW interior cleaner, and nothing touches the darn thing. What is the best way to get rid of this shiny sticky crap? It reminds me of soft candle wax, almost like vaseline!

Also, the car was waxed (I'm assuming by the same idiot that put that wax on the dash) and all rubber seals are covered with dried up wax. What's the best way to clean that?
Thanks!
Old 06-27-2008, 06:01 AM
Contributors

I'd try using Goo Gone in the interior, then a light sponging with Dawn.

For the exterior, use a soft nylon brush on the seals (not the paint!) to get rid of the dried wax, then wash the whole car with Dawn and then clay it. Finish with either a polish or wax as Dawn will strip everything off it and you'll have no protection.
Old 06-27-2008, 06:24 AM
Former Vendor

My Ride: 2003 Audi RS6/2002 Porsche 911 Turbo/2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser

Originally Posted by TexaZ3' post='611195' date='Jun 27 2008, 09:19 AM

Just bought new (to me) 545i and the dash has some wax (I'm thinking it is a wax from California Duster) on it, that is really hard to remove. It is applied very thick, and I have tried wet rag, BMW interior cleaner, and nothing touches the darn thing. What is the best way to get rid of this shiny sticky crap? It reminds me of soft candle wax, almost like vaseline!

Also, the car was waxed (I'm assuming by the same idiot that put that wax on the dash) and all rubber seals are covered with dried up wax. What's the best way to clean that?
Thanks!
I would try Einszett Plastic/Vinyl Cleaner on the dash and the rubber trim
Old 06-27-2008, 06:25 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by bdkinnh' post='611216' date='Jun 27 2008, 09:01 AM
I'd try using Goo Gone in the interior, then a light sponging with Dawn.

For the exterior, use a soft nylon brush on the seals (not the paint!) to get rid of the dried wax, then wash the whole car with Dawn and then clay it. Finish with either a polish or wax as Dawn will strip everything off it and you'll have no protection.
I thought Goo Gone contains alcohol? If true, it will damage the vinyl/plastic. No?
Also, I read somewhere that Dawn is not really good for paint.

I'm pretty familiar with car care, I just never had problems with wax on the dash, and seals....
Thanks!
Old 06-27-2008, 08:58 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by TexaZ3' post='611228' date='Jun 27 2008, 10:25 AM
I thought Goo Gone contains alcohol? If true, it will damage the vinyl/plastic. No?
Also, I read somewhere that Dawn is not really good for paint.

I'm pretty familiar with car care, I just never had problems with wax on the dash, and seals....
Thanks!
Don't know about the alcohol content of GG - worth looking up.

And Dawn isn't good for regular use on paint (as your standard car wash), but it is good to get everything off the car and start from scratch.
Old 06-27-2008, 10:15 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd have to believe Goo Gone is a little to strong for this job. I won't risk it. That stuff is some mean stuff.

Reading on some other detailing forums some mention something but its slipping my mind. You might want to check out some of the other detailer forums and check detailuniversity.com and meg's detail forum.
Old 06-28-2008, 08:21 AM
Members

My Ride: '89 BMW E34 525i M20

Originally Posted by TexaZ3' post='611195' date='Jun 27 2008, 06:19 AM
Thanks!
Well, the stuff put on the dash is, I suspect, a petroleum based product. If it's really that thick, it could potentially be a real nasty exterior rubber dressing, as those tend to be thicker.
I highly doubt it's carnauba wax if it's so viscous and thick.
Regardless, try some Meguiars APC or some simple green in slightly diluted solutions. It may take two applications, but it's the most gentle method of degreasing and removing residue.

Dried up wax on the seals? Do you have photos? There are many things that can turn trim white.
Try cleaning it with 303 vinyl cleaner cleaner, or simple green if it's bad enough.

Overall though, don't use goo gone or ANY solvent on your trim or plastic interior surfaces. It will be severely damaged, depending on the type of plastic.

Anyways, photos would help significantly.
Old 06-28-2008, 04:37 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by CharlesAFerg' post='611873' date='Jun 28 2008, 11:21 AM
Well, the stuff put on the dash is, I suspect, a petroleum based product. If it's really that thick, it could potentially be a real nasty exterior rubber dressing, as those tend to be thicker.
I highly doubt it's carnauba wax if it's so viscous and thick.
Regardless, try some Meguiars APC or some simple green in slightly diluted solutions. It may take two applications, but it's the most gentle method of degreasing and removing residue.

Dried up wax on the seals? Do you have photos? There are many things that can turn trim white.
Try cleaning it with 303 vinyl cleaner cleaner, or simple green if it's bad enough.

Overall though, don't use goo gone or ANY solvent on your trim or plastic interior surfaces. It will be severely damaged, depending on the type of plastic.

Anyways, photos would help significantly.
Thanks! Will try to upload some pix tomorrow.