Detailing Forum Don't know if that wax is any good? Get your detailing answers and tips here.

New Porter cable 7424

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 01:32 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 530i , Silver with leather Air Con iDrive 17" Breyton Rims with Dunlop Sp Sport tyres (M-Tech Bodykit and rims WANTED) Alfa Romeo 147 TS1.6 , Black with Air Con 17" Multi Spoke alloys with Bridgestone RE040 tyres Toyota MR-S 1.8 VVTI , Lagoon Blue with Red leather Air Con 15" standard alloys with Toyo tyres Toyota Celica 1.8 VVTI, Lagoon Blue, Air Con, 16" Standard alloys with Kuhmo KU31, EBC Green Stuff

Hi guys,

Just received my new toy today , it's a Meguiars G220 240v (G110 for US).

It's a new version of porter cable 7424 but has slightly more powerful than the old one and has improved the On/Off switch, the material they use has improved as well. I haven't tried it yet (Cos of the aweful weather in here!) But will let you guys know what i think once i got time to play around.

New Porter cable 7424-g220_002.jpg
New Porter cable 7424-g220_003.jpg
New Porter cable 7424-g220_004.jpg
New Porter cable 7424-g220_005.jpg

Cheers
Keith
Old 12-13-2007, 03:45 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, X6 Hybrid . Alpine White , every option. 20" Conti' NON runflats,OEM trunk spoiler , LUX V3 AE's , HP Thunder Fogs , custom front bumper reflector delete........

Well Done ,gotta get one myself !
Old 12-14-2007, 06:50 AM
Members

My Ride: Expected delivery on 15 Jan 2007 525I Olivian Green, Beige Interior, PP, CWP, PDC, SP, Rear shades,heated rear seats, Ipod fitted, Nav, Oem Rims 166, Xenon Lights, Wood grain package, illuminated door sills

congrats but what bout the burning of the paint? Is that one that you have to be familiar with using or is it like griots RO polisher?
Old 12-14-2007, 07:32 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

Originally Posted by vafinest25' post='506736' date='Dec 14 2007, 10:50 AM
congrats but what bout the burning of the paint? Is that one that you have to be familiar with using or is it like griots RO polisher?
V - This is a random orbital, so he doesn't need to worry about burning the paint (unless of course, he uses the most course pad available with no polish or wax on it, but then again, who would do that on such fine automobiles that we have! ).

You are thinking of the Rotary Buffer which can burn the paint if you are not careful. The random orbital does not make the same sweeping motion in the same place over and over again, hence the reason it's called "random". However, with the rotary, it's not "random" so you have to know when to move it around and on to the next area. Keeping it in the same spot for an extended period of time is what can cause paint burns. Make sense?
Old 12-16-2007, 04:54 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by C's Bimmer' post='506756' date='Dec 14 2007, 08:32 AM
V - This is a random orbital, so he doesn't need to worry about burning the paint (unless of course, he uses the most course pad available with no polish or wax on it, but then again, who would do that on such fine automobiles that we have! ).

You are thinking of the Rotary Buffer which can burn the paint if you are not careful. The random orbital does not make the same sweeping motion in the same place over and over again, hence the reason it's called "random". However, with the rotary, it's not "random" so you have to know when to move it around and on to the next area. Keeping it in the same spot for an extended period of time is what can cause paint burns. Make sense?
Theres a lot more to it than that. Certain parts of paint are thinner, and not knowing your thickness is very dangerous. The speed/pad/polish combo is also dependent. You can burn paint as soon as you make contact without "keeping it in one place"

The new FLEX machine has made ALL DA/RO's obsolete, you guys really need to check out that machine!
Old 12-16-2007, 07:54 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

Originally Posted by FMINUS' post='507465' date='Dec 16 2007, 08:54 PM
Theres a lot more to it than that. Certain parts of paint are thinner, and not knowing your thickness is very dangerous. The speed/pad/polish combo is also dependent. You can burn paint as soon as you make contact without "keeping it in one place"

The new FLEX machine has made ALL DA/RO's obsolete, you guys really need to check out that machine!
Of course there's more to it, but I don't think many of us need to worry about the thickness with such new cars, unless of course, your paint is in really terrible shape. That said, I don't think a paint gauge is an absolute necessity at this point. Most people will be fine with a random orbital, a few different pads and some good polishes, sealants and waxes.

Trying different methods, products and routines are the best way to get good at this type of job. I know for myself I've tried many different products and methods over the years. There's a learning curve involved in this process.

Funny you should mention the Flex. I've been reading about it on Autopia a lot lately. It's too cold right now to even think about detailing my car, but come spring time, I might be making that my new addition to the family.

You guys should really read up on Autopia, if you haven't already. It's a great place to learn about different tools, products and methods for detailing.
Old 12-16-2007, 07:57 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by C's Bimmer' post='507500' date='Dec 16 2007, 08:54 PM
Sure, but I don't think many of us need to worry about the thickness with such new cars, unless of course, your paint is in really terrible shape. That said, I don't think a paint gauge is an absolute necessity at this point. Most people will be fine with a random orbital, a few different pads and some good polishes, sealants and waxes.

Trying different methods, products and routines are the best way to get good at this type of job. I know for myself I've tried many different products and methods over the years. There's a learning curve involved in this process.

Funny you should mention the Flex. I've been reading about it on Autopia a lot lately. It's too cold right now to even think about detailing my car, but come spring time, I might be making that my new addition to the family.

You guys should really read up on Autopia, if you haven't already. It's a great place to learn about different tools, products and methods for detailing.
A rotary can burn through brand new paint in a second on a corner of plastic piece. The age of paint is irrelevant
Old 12-16-2007, 07:57 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by FMINUS' post='507503' date='Dec 16 2007, 11:57 PM
A rotary can burn through brand new paint in a second on a corner of plastic piece. The age of paint is irrelevant
Not talking about a rotary.
Old 12-16-2007, 07:59 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by C's Bimmer' post='507504' date='Dec 16 2007, 08:57 PM
Not talking about a rotary.
If thats the case Im an idiot! LOL

And yes I have burned paint with a PC using a 4 inch pad
I did it on purpose trying to see if it was possible!
Old 12-16-2007, 08:03 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 10 Honda Fit Sport, 10 Honda Pilot Touring

Ok, FLEX it is then.

Quick Reply: New Porter cable 7424