Detailing Forum Don't know if that wax is any good? Get your detailing answers and tips here.

Maintenance of Silver-Gray vs. White

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2006, 02:05 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: [b][i]08 E-60 535i TT[/i][/b], 07/07 Production Date, Space Grey w/Blk Dakota interior, SA Tranny w/Pad Shift, Sport Pkg, Prem Pkg, NAV, PDC, IPOD, 30% Lumar tint front, 20% Lumar tint rear. 20" EXE "Konkourse" machined polished aluminum alloy wheels, 20x9 front, 20x10.5 rear, riding on Toyo Proxes 4's -255/30/20 front & 295/25/20 rear. [b]Gone but not forgotten![/b] - 04 E-60 545i Silver Gray w/gray dakota interior, Sprt Pkg, Prem Pkg, CW Pkg, HUD, NAV, Logic 7, PDC, Rear Shades.

As others have said they are both excellent color choices and I have owned cars in both colors. In looking at your signature I see you live in an area that gets snow, ice and can be slushy at times. For that reason I would go with the silver grey.

Having lived in such a climate, Anchorage Ak., while owning a white vehicle, it would drive me crazy trying to keep her clean. Granted this can be true for almost any color, however as you have already noticed in the white car you observe outside the theater, when white is dingy it just does not look good. This coming from a guy, in Southern CA, who is seriously considering white for my next car.
Old 08-20-2006, 05:58 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

S G is very good for long term looks. It doesn't really show imperfections. When was the last time you saw a S G with swirls or holograms? Some of the darker colors never fail to have swirls or holograms.

Someone asked me if I had washed my car two weeks ago... It hasn't been washed since April. Like others have said, it looks clean even in bright sun from 10 or more feet away.
Old 08-20-2006, 07:47 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 530xi - Silver/Gray, Gray Leather, 6 SP Manual, Premium, Sport, CW, CA, Shades, Logic7

As always, thanks to everyone for all the replies. These experiences really help.

I went to a couple of BMW dealers today to check out colors. At one dealer, there was no white or SG E60, but I did check out a used E46 in SG and used E39 in white, both of the same age. At that point, I thought the white looked better. But then at the second dealer, there was a SG E60 on the lot, and after looking a that, I've decided to change my order to SG.

From the sounds of it, they're both pretty low-maintenance colors, and I simply get a more emotional response when I see the SG.

There was definitely a time when I could (and did) wash my cars very often, but now having 1-year old and 3-year old boys, somehow it's a challenge to always find the time to devote to detailing the cars.

So, the SG should be a plus for less-frequent washings, though I still try to get to it every 1-2 weeks.
Old 08-26-2006, 11:02 AM
Contributors

My Ride: '06 530xi

My SG is amazing at hiding dirt like everyone has pointed out. My E60 is not my daily driver, so it is in my garage for most of the work week. Because it's not a daily driver, it tends to acumulate a thin layer of dust. You can't tell that there is a lyer of dust even when looking at the car 1 inch away from the paint. It's not until you run your hand over it that you know it's "dirty".

Another thing, I got caught in a light rain one day, and I was thinking like "awe man, gotta wash it tomorrow." But once I got home, I was amazed to see that my E60 still looked as if it hadn't even been in the rain.

There is one beef that I have with my E60, under certain light, it shows a very prominent blue hue. It's really weird to see that happen.

When I ordered the car, I initially ordered Titanium Gray. I parked the Titanium Gray E60 test car right next to a Silver Gray E60, and the blue hue of the Silver Gray stood out. At that point, I knew I definitely did not want Silver Gray, so I settled on Titanium Gray on the order invoice. After seeing more and more pictures of Silver Gray E60's on here, I fell in love with it, and went and changed my Titanium Gray To Silver Gray.