Detailing Forum Don't know if that wax is any good? Get your detailing answers and tips here.

Looking for reviews of wheel wax brands

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 10:32 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Alpine White 2010 535 M-Sport

Just purchased a CPO 535 e60 with M sport (135) wheels. They look great, but need a good detail. Planning on removing them from the car and giving them a through cleaning, inside and out. Following that I was considering a wheel wax product. The three I have found are Poorboys, Chemical Guys Wheel Guard and Wheel Wax. Searching the threads, I found little info or varied feedback on what people were using.. or if a product comparison has been done.

Also if anyone has any tips to remove tar etc from inside the wheel, please pass those along. I heard brake cleaner works, but think that might be too harsh.
Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails Looking for reviews of wheel wax brands-6.jpg  
Old 09-05-2012, 06:26 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i sport package

From what I've read, all those brands work well. For tar inside the wheel, I'd use p21s gel with a good brush.
Old 09-07-2012, 12:08 PM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by onetime
From what I've read, all those brands work well. For tar inside the wheel, I'd use p21s gel with a good brush.

I ordered Wolfs Chemicals WR-1NT Rim Shield to try from Detailers Domain. It had good comments online. Ill post back my comments and pics on this product. Ill look into the p21s gel. Thanks!
Old 09-18-2012, 12:39 AM
Members

I recently used Tardis to remove 84Ks worth of road grim from my new (to me) 530d. I couldn't believe the tar just wiped off.
Highly recommended
Old 09-18-2012, 07:38 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: Alpine E60, '09 535i-Premium, Sport and Comfort Access PackageMods: Lux H8 V3 Angel Eyes, Weisslicht LED license plate lights, Interior LED lights, RPI Scoop, Matte Black Grills, Smoked LED side markers & side reflectors, 35% tint all around, and a 3

I've been researching this topic also since I now have black gloss wheels. From what I've read any synthetic wax or sealant would be good. There seems to be many wheel wax branded waxes out there however its a mixed bag of reviews. Being that there is probably a significant amount of heat transfer from the brakes/rotors to the wheels regular carnauba wax would simply melt away and not hold up to the stresses. Synthetic waxes tend to hold up better due to it not using actual carnauba and the bonding properties being better with synthetic wax. Sealants of course being the best option and having the best longevity of the three. A month ago I put a layer of meguairs ultimate wax on my wheels and they have been very easy to clean. I'm probably going to try a sealant of some type, either klasse or wolfgangs, to see how much longer it last. I did a lot of researching but it's trial and error time to see for myself what works. Just my 2 cents.
Old 09-19-2012, 05:48 AM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by bmw_pimp
I recently used Tardis to remove 84Ks worth of road grim from my new (to me) 530d. I couldn't believe the tar just wiped off.
Highly recommended

Originally Posted by Booyaazaa
I've been researching this topic also since I now have black gloss wheels. From what I've read any synthetic wax or sealant would be good. There seems to be many wheel wax branded waxes out there however its a mixed bag of reviews. Being that there is probably a significant amount of heat transfer from the brakes/rotors to the wheels regular carnauba wax would simply melt away and not hold up to the stresses. Synthetic waxes tend to hold up better due to it not using actual carnauba and the bonding properties being better with synthetic wax. Sealants of course being the best option and having the best longevity of the three. A month ago I put a layer of meguairs ultimate wax on my wheels and they have been very easy to clean. I'm probably going to try a sealant of some type, either klasse or wolfgangs, to see how much longer it last. I did a lot of researching but it's trial and error time to see for myself what works. Just my 2 cents.
I havent had time to get the wheels off and give them a good cleaning before trying the product I bought. Appreciate the info. Ill keep those products in mind if I have trouble cleaning the wheels.