Detailing Forum Don't know if that wax is any good? Get your detailing answers and tips here.

Keep the original "matte" look of BMW leather

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2005, 12:11 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks to ISUK I can now keep the leather in my BMW looking "matte" like the first day I picked it up in Munich. Back in Sep. 2004 I posted a question here asking if anyone knew of a leather product that would keep the BMW leather matte instead of giving it shine. I had been using most of the famous "recommended" brands for leather care in my other BMW's, but they all claim to "restore the natural luster" of the leather. Well, BMW leather does not come with a "natural luster", so I wanted something that would restore the "natural matte look" of the BMW leather.

ISUK responded to my post and recommended using Autoglym leather cleaner. I checked out the Autoglym site and found out they have a "Leather Cleaner" and a "Leather Care Cream". The store that I bought it from did not have the Leather Cleaner, however, they had the Autoglym interior cleaner which also cleans leather among other things. I bought the Interior Cleaner and the Leather Care Cream. To begin with the Interior Cleaner is a great product. I used it first on my old M3 (light Silver Gray interior) before selling it and it did a great job of cleaning all of the interior including the leather. It also did a great job on my wife's X5 with gray interior. I had not cleaned it in months and the kids had just made it filthy. However, the Autoglym Interior cleaner and a big brush with somewhat gentle bristles and some cotton towels was all that was needed to clean it well. I then tested the Leather Care Cream on both the M3 and the X5 and to my surprise it actually brought back the original matte look. It scared me at first because like all other products that I have used the Leather Care Cream put a shine on the leather when I first apply it, but 95% of the shine went away when I cleaned and buffed it with a cotton towel. The other 5% of the shine was gone within a day or two.

I was now ready to try it on the 545. I finally did this last Saturday and the results were superb. The leather (and whole interior) look just as they did on day 1........with the original matte look.

So again....thanks ISUK for the recommendation and I would also recommend Autoglym for those who want to preserve the original matte look while still feeding and moisturizing the leather. Remember to buff it well afterwards to take most of the greasy/shiny look away, then give it a couple of days for it to completely disappear.
Old 05-05-2005, 12:28 AM
Senior Members

Rody,

Glad to be of assistance. If you can order the Autoglym leather cleaner, do so. It is even better than the cream and really lifts out the dirt.
Old 05-05-2005, 05:22 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

Rody,

I use the BMW brand leather cleaner/conditioner. It's one bottle, comes with foam sponge applicators and paper towel wipes.

It doesn't make the leather shiny, either. My seats look nice and dry, just like the day I got the car. None of that shiny, greasy look.
Old 05-06-2005, 10:42 AM
Members

I am also grateful to ISUK.
After 2 months of ownership my beige dakota drivers seat was looking grubby. After using the Autoglym leather cleaner it now looks new again. I also bought the autoglym leather cream but have not needed to use it yet.
Mark-Yorkshire
Old 05-06-2005, 11:16 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: MY05 545i Jet Black with Auburn interior. SMG, Logic7, Sport Package, Comfort Seats, Navigation.

I am sold on autoglym because of you guys. I just placed an order on line for the cleaner and the cream. They're $21.00 but the freight was $8.00!!!

Are there stores you can buy them off shelf?
Old 05-06-2005, 12:35 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by speedracerF4i' date='May 6 2005, 01:16 PM
I am sold on autoglym because of you guys.? I just placed an order on line for the cleaner and the cream.? They're $21.00 but the freight was $8.00!!!

Are there stores you can buy them off shelf?
[snapback]125027[/snapback]

I called one of the two distributers that they list for the USA ( I think 800-247-GLYM) and they gave me a list of stores around Los Angeles that are supposed to have it. I only tried one in Hollywood and they had the "Leather Care Cream" and the "Interior Cleaner" (which you can use on leather), but they did not have the "Leather Cleaner". I think I paid $10 for the "Leather Care Cream" and around $10 for the "Interior cleaner" (1 whole gallon). I have used the "Leather Care Cream" on 3 cars now and the bottle is close to empty, so I need to get more.

Where did you order it online? If they have the "Leather Cleaner" I would like to get that and another bottle of the "Leather Care Cream" I don't mind paying for shipping because I don't think any of the other stores in the LA area were anywhere close to me (and the close one did not carry the "Leather Cleaner").
Old 05-06-2005, 12:37 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by subterFUSE' date='May 5 2005, 07:22 PM
Rody,

I use the BMW brand leather cleaner/conditioner.? It's one bottle, comes with foam sponge applicators and paper towel wipes.

It doesn't make the leather shiny, either.? My seats look nice and dry, just like the day I got the car.? None of that shiny, greasy look.
[snapback]124668[/snapback]

Thanks for the info. It's good to know that we have another option for a matte leather finish.
Old 05-06-2005, 10:13 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 530I Black/Black, Premium/Sport, Navigation 2005 545I Silver/Black, Premium/Sport, Logic 7, Navigation

Where can i buy it?
Old 05-21-2005, 04:01 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by the88saint' date='May 7 2005, 12:13 AM
Where can i buy it?
[snapback]125285[/snapback]

I just ordered my second bottle of the Autoglym Leather Care Cream as well as the Autoglym Leather Cleaner from the following site. They had the best prices and I received the items in a couple of days. When you click on Leather Care Cream from the main list it takes you to another page where it shows a picture of the Leather Cleaner bottle, but don't worry the item number is correct and they did send me the correct item. It's just the picture that is wrong.

>>>>>>>>>Click Here to order Autoglym Interior products<<<<<<<<<<<<
Old 05-21-2005, 11:23 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Hummm.... now I want to give this a try... I've been using Zaino Bro's Leather in a Bottle... has anyone use both and can give a comparison?

http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/mercha...gory_Code=Zaino

Quick Reply: Keep the original "matte" look of BMW leather