Detailing Forum Don't know if that wax is any good? Get your detailing answers and tips here.

Important Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 02:17 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Expected delivery on 15 Jan 2007 525I Olivian Green, Beige Interior, PP, CWP, PDC, SP, Rear shades,heated rear seats, Ipod fitted, Nav, Oem Rims 166, Xenon Lights, Wood grain package, illuminated door sills
Thumbs down

Okay here is the $ 1,000,000 question. Anyone who has the tan interior on their 5 no matter what year how do you keep the interior stain free, espcially the foot wells all around the peddles? People get in and out and hit the door plates and leave scuff marks on them, and I dont want to be anal and tell everyone to watch their step getting in and out of my car, then to say keep your feet on the rug. But that is the only way that I can see it staying clean. Does anyone have any ideas or secrets how to keep it clean with any special carpet cleaners or anything, also the leather what kind of leather cleaner or conditioner does everyone use. Thanks
Old 01-12-2007, 03:41 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 530i 6-speed Titanium Silver/Black Interior Premium Package Sport Package Aux input 30 GB video iPod Cold Weather Package Xenon Red rear reflectors Tint Clear Bra

Originally Posted by vafinest25' post='377178' date='Jan 12 2007, 06:17 AM
Okay here is the $ 1,000,000 question. Anyone who has the tan interior on their 5 no matter what year how do you keep the interior stain free, espcially the foot wells all around the peddles? People get in and out and hit the door plates and leave scuff marks on them, and I dont want to be anal and tell everyone to watch their step getting in and out of my car, then to say keep your feet on the rug. But that is the only way that I can see it staying clean. Does anyone have any ideas or secrets how to keep it clean with any special carpet cleaners or anything, also the leather what kind of leather cleaner or conditioner does everyone use. Thanks
Maybe they can leave their shoes outside?

Seriously though, I know several people who have this problem and no one seems to have an feasible solution.
Old 01-12-2007, 04:28 AM
Members

May not be to all tastes, but a mate of mine had the same dilemma with light carpets. He now has black BMW mats. Look good with the tan interior.
Old 01-12-2007, 04:51 AM
TC.
Members

My Ride: 535d m sport - 9 Weeks to go!!

Not sure about the states but in the UK there is a good cleaning solution. I had Alpaca (light beige) leather in my Range Rover Sport, i used Armorall multipurpose interior wipes for the seats, doors and mats - worked every time even on black shoe scuff marks on the backs of seats - it could also be carried easily in the car as the wipes were in a pull out tub type affair http://www.armorall.com/prod_cleaningwipes.html

........they also do leather wipes in the same range......don't bother with these, they leave a residue on the seat that only comes off when you sit on it and actually increases the amount of grime you pick up thus increasing the amount of time you spend cleaning!!!
Old 01-12-2007, 05:30 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 320d SE (E90) manual - Sapphire Black, Beige Leather Sports Seats, Burled Walnut, Heated Seats, Sunroof, Comfort Access, Hi-Fi sound, Bluetooth, Side-Window blinds, Through-Load, Luggage Net, PDC Front & Rear, Adaptive Xenons, Style 158 17", Chrome Grill & Window Trim, Blackline Tailights, Power folding/dimming side mirrors, Split Armrest, Dual Zone Climate, Cruise, LEDs on door handles, iPod nano, SE K750i

Originally Posted by TC.' post='377213' date='Jan 12 2007, 01:51 PM
Not sure about the states but in the UK there is a good cleaning solution. I had Alpaca (light beige) leather in my Range Rover Sport, i used Armorall multipurpose interior wipes for the seats, doors and mats - worked every time even on black shoe scuff marks on the backs of seats - it could also be carried easily in the car as the wipes were in a pull out tub type affair http://www.armorall.com/prod_cleaningwipes.html

I really like the note on their webpage for this product where they say...

Not for personal cleansing.

Old 01-12-2007, 05:32 AM
Senior Members

Important Question-dsc01495.jpg
This area right ?

I'm having problems with that to. People just don't know they have to lift their feets to get into a car?? I'm cleening the area every time I wash the car...
Old 01-12-2007, 06:23 AM
Members

I love this stuff: http://www.properautocare.com/blincl.html

easy to work with and it cleans anything you can put water too.

For the tough scuffs on hard plastics, try solvents.

Be cool, use well ventilated, and not on capets or leather.

Be careful. Make sure you leave your rags outside to ventilate, or douse them with water then wash. Rags with solvents left in a container will ignite on their own. Do not taunt the solvents. Don't drink them, or keep them near your inlaws. Don't fill the bong with solvents.
Old 01-12-2007, 06:26 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 550 SMG

How about cleaning all the carpets and treating them with scotchguard, this will help in removing the stains the next time. This problem is the reason I only had two choices in color, either auburn or black, because both come with black carpeting, lower door panels and back of seats.
Old 01-12-2007, 06:33 AM
Members

I have two sets of beige mats.

Every time I take my car to washing I use the water pressure gun to clean them.

1.- Water
2.-Soap foam
3.-Rinse

Since they get moist, I put the spare set on, and leave the other one at the trunk to dry up. It takes a max of 3 days to happen.

Perfect!
Old 01-12-2007, 07:19 AM
Members

My Ride: My Drive ……X5 3.0d Sport 2004, Sunroof, 6 Speed Auto, SATNAV, TV, Blue Tooth, Sterling Grey, Beige Leather, Folding Mirrors, Auto Dipping Mirrors, 6 CD, Poplar Wood Interior, Sun Protection Glass, Comfort Screen, Heated Seats. My Drive…… 530d Sport (E61) 2005, Carbon Black, Beige Leather, Auto, Comfort Seats, Panoramic Sun Roof, SATNAV Professional, 6 CD, ( Media Pack), Bi- Xenon’s Adaptive, Headlight Washers,Folding Mirrors, Sun Blinds, Sun Protection Glass, Advanced Air Conditioning / Heating, Blue Tooth with integrated Phone. Other Half’s Drive….318 Ci Sport, 2005, Graphite Grey, Red Leather, Full Sports Pack. Three sayings that can help with life “Shy boys get nothing” “You are confusing me with someone who gives a damn” “If you want a friend buy a dog”

I have the same issue but am prepared to put up with it, as the thought of being contained in some dark space created by a black interior leaves me cold. I have beige in both my E61 and X5 and I follow the following regime:

Black mats between October and March
Clean the leather three times a year with AutoGlym (tried all the others) www.autoglym.co.uk (there are some good tips on the site)
Feed leather with good leather conditioner
Try not to wear clothes that will leave a stain such as dark leathers and denims

Try not to park where there is the chance of dirt getting into car

Be careful of using cleaning solvents on plastics as some can destroy the surface!!

You could cover the kick plates with a self adhesive film (dealer can probably advise where to buy)

You could give people the taxi or train fare so they don?t need to travel in your car, but maybe not!

Try not to get too paranoid about it; it?s like having light carpets in your house i.e. great to the eye but a nightmare to look after.

I will watch the replies to your question to see if I can pick up any tips but I believe its only constant attention and hard work that will cure it.

Quick Reply: Important Question