Detailing Forum Don't know if that wax is any good? Get your detailing answers and tips here.

I'm Addicted to Washing my Car.

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 12:01 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 BMW 545I M sport suspension Active Steering M sport interior Navi Low ride sports

Originally Posted by PraiseTheLowered
get a beater for the winter

have your car detailed completely, put a plastic sheet over it and leave it alone until winter is over
+1 thats what ive done my car is sitting in my garage and has not a speckle of dirt or salt on it. i even give it a little wipe down every week...and in T.O. we got salt the size of golf balls over here.
Old 01-31-2010, 12:27 PM
Members

My Ride: The UDM

Originally Posted by bmwroger1
+1 thats what ive done my car is sitting in my garage and has not a speckle of dirt or salt on it. i even give it a little wipe down every week...and in T.O. we got salt the size of golf balls over here.
Why deprive yourself of 3 month of enjoyment ? In the end your car will cost roughly the same whether it was winter driven or not. All you gotta do is wash it twice a week
Old 01-31-2010, 04:03 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 BMW 330ci cab - Jet Black - Black Leather - Premium Pkg - Sport Pkg - Auto - Heated Seats - Navigation - Xenon - Premium Sound - iPod - Bluetooth

Oh ya, I can identify. It was 20 degrees in Ohio today. My Jet Black BMW is white from all the salt.
I have never taken my car thru an automatic car wash, but today I came darn close.
But, no, I ended up doing my normal winter routine.
- Disconnect the hot water house in the laundry room and hook up my craftsman hose to it, and run it into the garage.
- Connect the hose to my Karcher Power Washer, spray the car off.
- Spray wheel cleaner on the wheels.
- Hook up the Foam Canon to the Power Washer.
- Fill the two buckets with warm water.
- Wash the car with one bucket & a Zymol sponge, rinse sponge with the other.
- Rinse car with hot water running thru the Power Washer.
- Get the Toro Leaf Blower out and blow dry the car.
- Pull it into the garage (garage heater has been warming up the garage)
- Microfiber towel on water drips.

Because it's Jet Black I try not to touch the paint at all. My 4th JB BMW, and I swear I'll never have another. But, once detailed it's beautiful.
Old 02-02-2010, 05:44 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Howitzer
Every day, however, I use my California Car Duster to get the salt off the side panels. Plus, to make matters worse, my car is Jet Black, which means you can sneeze on it and it will be filthy. I just hate looking at it when its dirty.
wait so you wipe the car down all salty you wipe it down with your california car duster?

dude throw that piece of crap in the garbage!!!!!!!

thats one of the worst things you can use on your paint, especially on a black car!!
Old 02-02-2010, 06:02 AM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

I haven't washed my car for like 3 weeks....I need to do a full detail soon...clay, polish, wax...
Old 02-02-2010, 02:16 PM
Senior Members

damn, more salt than snow? holy crap.

i maybe just as bad as you.
when we had that 'storm of the century' in Cali(lol),
i actually washed my rims in the rain.
my neighbors probably thought i was crazy.
Old 02-02-2010, 05:29 PM
mk4
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i Sport, Premium, Cold Weather, Ipod, 35% Tinted windows

I am in Chicago as well and it sucks to see my car dirty all the time. I wash it about once a week on the weekends as I just don't have the time during the week and never would take it to a car wash. I usually spend a couple hours on a Saturday washing inside and out. Put a coat of Menzerna FMJ wax on about once every other month until spring when I plan to do a full detail and some paint correction. Just feel like no point in fully detailing in the winter because of the poor weather. I live in Chicago so the poor weather is just the nature of the beast.
Old 02-03-2010, 05:20 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530X, Silver Gray, Black Dakota, Premium Package, Cold Package, Park Distance Sensors, Steptronic

I could easily be as anal as you Howitzer, New England is much like Chicago with it's car friendly weather. But you gotta give it a rest, it's not healthy. Read a book, watch some TV, jog near the lake, the car will still look like crap 2 days later. Hope for an early spring.
Old 02-03-2010, 05:46 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i sport

Originally Posted by Pioneer530
I could easily be as anal as you Howitzer, New England is much like Chicago with it's car friendly weather. But you gotta give it a rest, it's not healthy. Read a book, watch some TV, jog near the lake, the car will still look like crap 2 days later. Hope for an early spring.
+1...the problem is you just can't keep up with the weather. I washed my car on Sunday, went into the office today for the first time, and even with silver I have a light but full coat of salt. The windshield tells all. My goal is to have a place down south somewhere to get the hell out of here in winter. it's not only the car....it's like losing 6 months of your life every year! I don't like snow snowmobiling or skiing....I like fishing, camping and anything outdoors. It's brutal out here...
Old 02-04-2010, 07:50 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by -Mike-
+1...the problem is you just can't keep up with the weather. I washed my car on Sunday, went into the office today for the first time, and even with silver I have a light but full coat of salt. The windshield tells all. My goal is to have a place down south somewhere to get the hell out of here in winter. it's not only the car....it's like losing 6 months of your life every year! I don't like snow snowmobiling or skiing....I like fishing, camping and anything outdoors. It's brutal out here...

Amen. Illinois blows.

Quick Reply: I'm Addicted to Washing my Car.