Detailing Forum Don't know if that wax is any good? Get your detailing answers and tips here.

a HUGE bird took a dump on my car...

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2005, 02:12 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '06 550i 6 Speed MT, Navigation, PDC, Cold Weather Pkg, Logic7, Prem Pkg, Sport Pkg, Active Steering, Comfort Seats, Comfort Access, HUD, Alpine White on Black Dakota & a Big Grin ;-) <---- On the vessel from Germany... ******** '05 545i 6 Speed MT, Navigation, PDC, Cold Weather Pkg, Logic7, Prem Pkg, Sport Pkg, UUC EVOIII SSK, Silver Gray on Black Dakota..... (Buy back by BMW NA)

A huge bird took a dump on my car (I haven't actually seen the bird but considering how big was the dump...)... anyway... IT LEFT A MARK ON THE PAINT... :'(

I was trying a clay bar & 4 times wax and it doesn't come off.... any idea how to take it off ???

READ THE FINAL RESOLTS...
Old 04-05-2005, 02:21 PM
Senior Members

Try some slightly abraisive paint renovator - OR - consider consulting someone professional.

Boy am I glad I've put on quite a few layers (five or so) of AutoGlym's Extra Gloss Protection.. Hopefully this will protect the paint from birds emptying their bowels. BTW.. Where do birds do relieve themselves during winter? No matter how long our cars stay out at winter, there's NO shit on the car..
Old 04-05-2005, 02:49 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2015 535D M Sport

Same thing happened to my 528. Bird crap is extremely caustic stuff. It left little shallow pits in the paint on my roof in a 2 inch diameter - big seagull I think. I used polishing compound and then scratch remover to make it 99.9% invisible. You need to be real careful not to take off all the clearcoat. If you are the least bit nervous, get a pro to take care of it. Probably < $100 and a lot cheaper than paint repair if you screw up. Rejex is supposed to help prevent corrosion from birds, bugs & other stuff. I have it on my 545, but thus far no bird has tested it.
Old 04-05-2005, 05:03 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

I had that happen before. I was unable to get it off with claybar, wax, ammonia or anything...

With recommendations from another board I was told to get Meguiars Paint cleaner and then Meguiars Paint Polish, then wax afterwars... it got 98% of it off...
Old 04-05-2005, 05:49 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

This is EXACTLY why I use a true, Carnauba paste wax on my E60.

I left my car at the airport for a weekend, and when I came back home it was COVERED in bird shit. I MEAN PLASTERED. There must have been a flock of seagulls nesting in the rafters of the parking garage at Orlando Airport.

Anyway... thanks to my recent waxing, I simply washed off the mess and it didn't leave so much as a mark at all. I've tried looking at it in every angle in the light... not so much as a swirl mark.

Stick to traditional Carnauba wax.... and keep the coat fresh by waxing every 2 months or so. These synthetic waxes are just gimmicks.
Old 04-05-2005, 06:10 PM
Senior Members

Tree zap remover maybe? Huge bird = huge dump? heh heh...
Old 04-05-2005, 09:01 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Gadgets' date='Apr 5 2005, 05:12 PM
A huge bird took a dump on my car (I haven't actually seen the bird but considering how big was the dump...)... anyway... IT LEFT A MARK ON THE PAINT...? :'(

I was trying a clay bar & 4 times wax and it doesn't come off.... any idea how to take it off ???
[snapback]111586[/snapback]

Go to www.corvetteforum.com then general topics, then car care. Post this there and "the detailing dude" will reply. Had the same thing on my vette and his recommendation got 100% of it out. I used 3M 39009 (dark cars, they make one for light cars as well) followed by Maguiars Polish then Yellow Wax, I forget the bottle numbers, #27 and 6 I think and it worked like a charm, all applied by hand on a MF pad. No need to pay someone, it was really easy with the correct products!
Old 04-06-2005, 12:58 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW 545iA Black Sapphire
Model Year: 2005
Engine: 545i

So far Rejex has helped me against this nuisance. No marks left whatsoever.
Old 04-06-2005, 03:57 AM
Members

You will need to apply a good sealant on your car for extra protection. When you spot a bird dropping the best solution is to get it off as SOON AS POSSIBLE (as within a couple hours)

A carnuba wax (zymol, p21s, s100) will offer much less protection since the bird crap will cut right through the carnuba.

Not to say the least, the intensity of acids in the spot depends on the birds diet
Old 04-06-2005, 06:01 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E46 320i, M3 paddle shift, Sat Nav

Bird droppings are damn lethal to your paintwork. By 5 minutes they can actually eat into the paintwork. Thats the reason once you spot a bird dropping you have to clean it off ASAP.

Quick Reply: a HUGE bird took a dump on my car...