Detailing Forum Don't know if that wax is any good? Get your detailing answers and tips here.

How to keep a BLACK Car clean?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2005, 12:53 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 530I Black/Black, Premium/Sport, Navigation 2005 545I Silver/Black, Premium/Sport, Logic 7, Navigation

Any recommendation on how to wash a black car and remove those water spot that always show up after the car wash?
Old 03-27-2005, 12:54 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 530I Black/Black, Premium/Sport, Navigation 2005 545I Silver/Black, Premium/Sport, Logic 7, Navigation

I'm using the Mr. Clean and i can't reach their advertised result.
Old 03-28-2005, 07:10 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E46 320i, M3 paddle shift, Sat Nav

Originally Posted by the88saint' date='Mar 27 2005, 05:53 PM
Any recommendation on how to wash a black car and remove those water spot that always show up after the car wash?
[snapback]107263[/snapback]

Black cars are the most difficult colors to maintain even if it is a metallic black. However when its clean and after a wax job, it looks fantastic. The challange is always how to maintain your car's paintwork in between waxes.

Water spots can never be removed by washing. They have probably etched into the paintwork which can only be removed by polishing. You can use a 100% cotton cloth with polish products like Klasse AIO. If the water marks are too deep, its best left for the experienced professionals.
Old 03-28-2005, 07:33 AM
Members

Use the following tips and your paint will always look SWEET!

Wash using soft water or de ionized

Use a premium soap like Meguiar's Gold Class Soap

Use a large soft and porous grout sponge to wash vehicle (does not trap dirt) Wash from the top to the bottom, leave rockers and fenderwell lips for last since they are the dirtiest.

Use a synthetic chamois to dry the vehicle

Follow up with Meguiar's Final Inspection # 34 with a soft micro fiber towel working your way from the top to the bottom.

Results should be a very deep, wet looking car without waxing and no water spots.

If water spots have etched into the surface they must be polished out using a D.A. or a Rotory polisher if severe.

If water spots are above the surface, by using a clay method you should be able to knock the etchings down and then polish with a D.A.

After polishing alway use a premium wax like Meguiar's Gold Class or NXT

Dave
www.innovativedetailing.com
Old 03-28-2005, 12:03 PM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 535d sport saloon M57 Titanium silver nav-pro, bluetooth, media pack, de-chromed, eletric sun roof, auto dim int, folding ext mirrors, auto dim int mirror, sport seats, alum cube interior trim, headlamp washers, bi Xenon, M-sport suspention, M steering wheel, M Aerodynamic bodystyling, M styling wheels, Black leather, Anthacite heading

Originally Posted by the88saint' date='Mar 27 2005, 04:53 AM
I love black but i've been there to many times, it look fantastic for about two hours then you start seeing all your hard work go in vain thats why I opted for a easy life

good luck.
Old 03-28-2005, 10:06 PM
Members

Tks, i will try it this weekend, looks like a full day works
Originally Posted by russo' date='Mar 28 2005, 11:10 AM
[quote name='the88saint' date='Mar 27 2005, 05:53 PM']Any recommendation on how to wash a black car and remove those water spot that always show up after the car wash?

Black cars are the most difficult colors to maintain even if it is a metallic black. However when its clean and after a wax job, it looks fantastic. The challange is always how to maintain your car's paintwork in between waxes.

Water spots can never be removed by washing. They have probably etched into the paintwork which can only be removed by polishing. You can use a 100% cotton cloth with polish products like Klasse AIO. If the water marks are too deep, its best left for the experienced professionals.
[snapback]107810[/snapback]
[/quote]
Old 03-28-2005, 10:16 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 530i JETBLACK/BLACK DAKOTA, COLD WEATHER PKG, PREMIUM PKG, ADAPTIVE XENON HEADLIGHTS, AUTO TRANSMISSION WITH 6 SPEED STEPTRONIC, BLUETOOTH SETUP,SAT SETUP AND WIFE AS CO-PILOT

own a black on black... washed iwth the mr clean.... dittos on the results.... not that impressive... but it helps reduce hard water spots... washed and waxed my car on friday... started @ 6pm. ended@0145... man o man... but the next day..... traveling to ventura..... boy was it awesome.... then i got to ventura... then mega.... i mean mega bug splats all over. :bashwall: and boy was it hard to take out.... anyways i used zymol.and ive gotton the deepest black ever ..... one of the docs suggested that .. invest in a carcover decent one....to cover car when at work of visiting someone... something easy on and easy off.... helps keep dust off and keep anyother stuff away.
Old 03-30-2005, 07:00 AM

try washing your car in the early morning...NOT in direct sunlight. and dry it quickly before it has time to dry...works for me!
Old 03-30-2005, 08:26 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Jet Black, Black Dakota, Sport Package with all the goodies, NAV, Satelite radio, comfort seats, Logic7, Cold weather, Dark wood trim, Delivered March 15, 2005

It's good to hear how others are taking care of their Black cars. I just received a Black 545i and have washed it 4 times in 2 weeks. I did some long road trips and bugs all over the front that needed to be removed.

I've heard mention on this forum about Rejex as being a good wax to use. I will be looking into it further. Black looks great when it is clean. My plan is to wash at least once a week. I can wash and dry the car in one hour or so. I'm sure the waxing will take longer.
Old 03-31-2005, 12:49 PM
Members

Prep the surface well if needed with a claybar & clay lube, follow with a good polish, then use a good sealant like Klasse AIO in combination with Klasse Sealant Glaze after...and top it off with Zaino Z2! Works wonders.

To avoid marring, use the 2 bucket washing method, use sufficient water and flip sponge sides often. Dry the car not with cotton towels, but with Microfiber waffle weaven towels.

For polishing, use a microfiber applicator pad. For buffing use microfiber towels.

Microfiber does not scratch your cars delicate paint & prevents overbuffing!

Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: How to keep a BLACK Car clean?