Detailing Forum Don't know if that wax is any good? Get your detailing answers and tips here.

How can I remove water spots/etching from paint?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2008, 05:38 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Use Megs. 105 or 80. Hard to tell from the pics but I'd think for sure you can clean that up.

Scratch X has very fine true cutting power. It has alot of fillers.
Old 09-14-2008, 08:11 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Numero Uno in Richmond Va 04 530 6 speed, jet black, black dakota leather, xenons, red rear reflectors, 545 front grill, cold weather package, premium package, staggered 19 inch BBS rxII/michelins, H&R coilovers and intergrated, R1 concept drilled an
Model Year: 2004
Engine: 530i

acribb, that is really nasty looking and mine looks the same or worse depending on how the light hits the car.

I have always keep the car clean polished and waxed, and still have these issues, i had the factory rep look at the car and he stated "It's environmental" of course I dissputed this, but to no avail I has to be a defect in the paint or clear coat from the factory.

There is no way that all these cars e60's of all colors could have the exact same enviramental issue's at every corner of the globe, I think bmw needs to fix this problem for us. Simply put a 4 year old car and note you mine started after the first year with these issues should not have to be repainted at the customers expense especially since we have all taken care of our cars paint.

I hate the word class action, but this is ridiculas, I have 3 other cars one of which is a e34 parked in the same drive way and it does not exhude these characteristics.

What as a united club can we do.
Old 09-14-2008, 10:01 AM
Senior Members

I hear you buddy. I have METICULOUSLY cared for this car, unlike any other I have owned. It is garaged at home and work. It is always waxed and clean. And this is how my paint looks. It's just ridiculous. I am worried about compounding the car with M105, but the people at the Meguiars forums seem to think it wouldn't be that big of a deal. Just follow it up with Meguiars M80, they say. So now I need to buy M80, M83 and M105. Hopefully the M80 or M83 does the trick, but most of those spots I can feel with my finger nail, so I am not sure how effective any of this will be. For now, I am just going to apply a couple of coats of wax with my PC and regroup in a month with these 3 Megs products. Keep your fingers crossed for me. If none of these products work, a wet sanding will be needed and repaint. And the car is not even 5 years old!
Old 09-16-2008, 04:35 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Numero Uno in Richmond Va 04 530 6 speed, jet black, black dakota leather, xenons, red rear reflectors, 545 front grill, cold weather package, premium package, staggered 19 inch BBS rxII/michelins, H&R coilovers and intergrated, R1 concept drilled an
Model Year: 2004
Engine: 530i

Originally Posted by acribb' post='669189' date='Sep 14 2008, 02:01 PM
I hear you buddy. I have METICULOUSLY cared for this car, unlike any other I have owned. It is garaged at home and work. It is always waxed and clean. And this is how my paint looks. It's just ridiculous. I am worried about compounding the car with M105, but the people at the Meguiars forums seem to think it wouldn't be that big of a deal. Just follow it up with Meguiars M80, they say. So now I need to buy M80, M83 and M105. Hopefully the M80 or M83 does the trick, but most of those spots I can feel with my finger nail, so I am not sure how effective any of this will be. For now, I am just going to apply a couple of coats of wax with my PC and regroup in a month with these 3 Megs products. Keep your fingers crossed for me. If none of these products work, a wet sanding will be needed and repaint. And the car is not even 5 years old!
I feel your pain I wonder if you can get BMW north America involved, even though your car is out of warrenty I assume. You may also want to have a factory rep look at it and get his opinion.

This issue is just rediculous for a rather young 50.000.00 dollar car I am ashamed in most situations with my paint