Detailing Forum Don't know if that wax is any good? Get your detailing answers and tips here.

Hairline scratches

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2006, 01:17 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys,

Have an 05 545i. It's the first car I really care about. I've been handwashing with a microfiber mitt and new drying cloths. But, in certain light you can see a lot of hairline/swirly scratches in the clearcoat, I guess. My question is, how can I shine it up like new? I haven't waxed it. Does it just need a good waxing and buffing?

Thanks,

Jacob
Old 11-04-2006, 01:23 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 530i M-sports package, carbon black,Beige leather dakota, Steptronic, active steering, anti-theft alarm, sunblinds for rear window and back seat window, interior and exterior mirror with anti-dazzel function, poplar brown dark, comfort seats, PDC, extended lights package, Hi-Fi loudspeakers, Innovation Package (contains Xenon, Headlight washers, adaptive headlights, Comfort access), automatic air-conditioning, professional radio, individual high gloss satine chrome,Sunroof

if its really light then maybe wax will do.

Otherwise claying is the solution to be sure
Old 11-04-2006, 10:31 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 530 JET BLACK, PREMIUM AND SPORT PACKAGE, REAR FOLD DOWN SEATS.

You could also try the new z5. What it does it fills swirl marks and fine scratches. It brings out the shine especially if you have a black car. cheers
Old 11-06-2006, 04:07 PM
Members

I think the rule is that if you run a fingernail across the scratches and it doesn't catch, then you should be able to clay/polish them out or get them out with something like ScratchX. If they're all over the place, it may take a lot of work to get them out by hand (unless you have an electric polisher). In that case, you can do what I did which was to give the car to a professional detailer for a day.
Old 11-06-2006, 06:08 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i Build date 11/2005 options include: cold weather package/ convenience package/premium sound package/ sport package/sunshades/Navigation/ V3 cradle/ OE 166 wheels/M-tech upgrade/M rear spoiler/ racemesh m-tech grill/racemesh kidney grills/M5 mirrors/M5 steering wheel/ HID fog light conversion/ M5 SMG paddles

ScratchX and Zymol are the two best products I have seen on the market. Use them as directed and they will take away the small scratches in your clear coat....they will continue to show up especially with more obvious paint colors like black (I know, I know black isnt a color ).

Also, simple things when washing can help to avoid the swirls:

- save the wheels for last
- any dirt should be removed with water first
- really dirty car? change the water solution
- drying should be done as much as possible with a California blade (water blade)

Anywho, thats my two cents....
Old 11-06-2006, 06:28 PM
Contributors

Welcome aboard. Glad you could join us.

Check out Autopia for the best instructions on how to keep your paint looking new.

It is impossible to keep from getting light swirl marks on the clear coat, and they especially show through on darker colors. The sugguestions others have posted will work for you ... the bottom line is you need to polish out those marks. Do it yourself or have a pro do it - either way it will look like new again.

Post some pics when you have it sparkling.