Detailing Forum Don't know if that wax is any good? Get your detailing answers and tips here.

"gritty substance" on the paint

Old 03-22-2008, 07:33 AM
aR.
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have gotten some "gritty" white substance - almost like a spray on the front bumper and related areas of my black 550. I think it was last night driving through some road repair zone on the interstate where I might have gotten it.
It is gritty and rough to feel and touch. I tried using "goof-off" but it does not do any thing to dissolve it. Is there another solvent or any other product I try to safely remove this from the paint without doing any damage - OR the only other option could be to take it to a body/ paint shop and have them tinker with it?

Any help will be higly appreciated. Thanks
Old 03-22-2008, 08:43 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60 530i , Silver with leather Air Con iDrive 17" Breyton Rims with Dunlop Sp Sport tyres (M-Tech Bodykit and rims WANTED) Alfa Romeo 147 TS1.6 , Black with Air Con 17" Multi Spoke alloys with Bridgestone RE040 tyres Toyota MR-S 1.8 VVTI , Lagoon Blue with Red leather Air Con 15" standard alloys with Toyo tyres Toyota Celica 1.8 VVTI, Lagoon Blue, Air Con, 16" Standard alloys with Kuhmo KU31, EBC Green Stuff

Any pics? Cos its hard to tell what is it without the pic.
But try to get some tar remover, take few drops on the microfibre cloth and cover the affected area for a minute (do not wipe), then wipe with a clean cloth to see how it works.
Old 03-23-2008, 03:32 AM
aR.
Members

Originally Posted by keith84_uk' post='549071' date='Mar 22 2008, 12:43 PM
Any pics? Cos its hard to tell what is it without the pic.
But try to get some tar remover, take few drops on the microfibre cloth and cover the affected area for a minute (do not wipe), then wipe with a clean cloth to see how it works.
here are some before and after pics..I was able to remove most of the gritty / nasty stuff with "Simple Green" and needs to re-buff/ re-polish these areas with some wax etc. I am taking the car to my paint shop/ body shop in the morning to have them look at and suggest the best action from here on wards.
Attached Thumbnails "gritty substance" on the paint-1.jpg   "gritty substance" on the paint-2.jpg   "gritty substance" on the paint-3.jpg   "gritty substance" on the paint-4.jpg  
Old 03-23-2008, 04:50 AM
Members

My Ride: 2007 530i Olivine Green w/ Beige leather interior, 6 spd manual, premium package, comfort access, cold weather package, heated rear seats. 2005 Acura MDX Touring Sage Brush Pearl w/ NAV, running boards, roof rack 1993 325is Calypso Red w/ Parchment leather interior, 5 spd manual. (Sold Nov 06)

Just one thought...you might want to try a clay bar and see if that works before spending $$$ at a detailer. Cheers.
Old 03-23-2008, 05:55 AM
Contributors

That does look like road repair material that has become "stuck" to your finish. I would not use any abrasive finish restoring product. If it's a concrete road material I'd repeat what you've already done with a diluted gentle detergent or cleaner degreaser like Simple Green. Use a SOFT brush and keep the area flushed with water so you don't grind the grit back into the finish.

This happened to me once on a road trip with a rented van. The highway was being grooved (cutting into the concrete with saws) and it was raining - all the concrete dust was being picked up by cars and trucks and bathed the side of the van. After we returned from the trip, and overnight the crap dried on the side of the van and was STUCK there. REALLY STUCK!!

It took hours of washing and scrubbing to get it unstuck.

Maybe something would dissolve cement without damaging your finish - are there civil engineers or chemists out there on the forum ? ?
Old 03-26-2008, 05:10 PM
aR.
Members

Originally Posted by aR.' post='549044' date='Mar 22 2008, 11:33 AM
I have gotten some "gritty" white substance - almost like a spray on the front bumper and related areas of my black 550. I think it was last night driving through some road repair zone on the interstate where I might have gotten it.
It is gritty and rough to feel and touch. I tried using "goof-off" but it does not do any thing to dissolve it. Is there another solvent or any other product I try to safely remove this from the paint without doing any damage - OR the only other option could be to take it to a body/ paint shop and have them tinker with it?

Any help will be higly appreciated. Thanks
I took the car to the body shop today and they did an amazing job of refinishing ( by buffing/ waxing/ cleaning and refinishing) the whole front area and it looks as good as new for a very minimal cost. No More Scratches or swirl markings and no more debris. I will post pictures when I get some time in next days or so. I am so glad that it is back to normal. Thanks for everyon'e input in this matter.
Old 03-26-2008, 05:34 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by aR.' post='551338' date='Mar 26 2008, 09:10 PM
I took the car to the body shop today and they did an amazing job of refinishing ( by buffing/ waxing/ cleaning and refinishing) the whole front area and it looks as good as new for a very minimal cost. No More Scratches or swirl markings and no more debris. I will post pictures when I get some time in next days or so. I am so glad that it is back to normal. Thanks for everyon'e input in this matter.
Alls well that ends well!
Old 05-07-2008, 12:40 AM
aR.
Members

just had the opportunity to take some pictures after washing the car this weekend.. showing the refinished front...all of the strange grit.. which was actually sticky road repair concrete, is finally gone..
Attached Thumbnails "gritty substance" on the paint-1.jpg   "gritty substance" on the paint-2.jpg   "gritty substance" on the paint-5.jpg