Detailing Forum Don't know if that wax is any good? Get your detailing answers and tips here.

Griot's Garage Best of Show wax

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2004, 06:53 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '04 545i/6sp SilverGray/Beige

So I washed the car last night to clean off the bug-guts from a weekend road trip and decided to wash it with Dawn to strip the wax and put on a coat of the Griot's Garage Best of Show carnauba-based liquid wax.

Firstly, I forgot how exhausting it is to wash a car. it's back-breaking work, especially for me being 6'5".

After washing with Dawn, and cleaning the wheels with the cleaner, I set out to put on a coat of wax. I was hoping to get to use the clay bar that came in my starter kit, but it was getting late and dark, so I decided to skip that step and just put on a coat of wax. I got a waffle-weave drying towel from Griot's that worked like a champ. The one towel pretty much dried off the whole car. I was well and truly impressed.

After reading some reviews on another detailing forum, I knew that all you need is a very thin coat (thick layers are a biatch to buff off) of the Best-of-Show wax. As I didn't have any applicator pads, I just used a cotton washrag and applied a thin layer one body panel at a time. Buffing was pretty easy, and there was no white powder residue in the creases and cut-lines when I looked at it this morning.

I must say that the car looks good; stunning, in fact. I think this weekend I will wash with the Griot's car wash and try out the clay on the front fascia where I noticed that I didn't get all the bug-goo, and apply another coat of wax.

The bottle of wax that came with the kit looks like it will go a long way, since it spreads very easily and goes on fairly thin.

The kit also came with a pretty big spray bottle of their carnauba-based quick-detailing spray, which should come in handy for little touchups between waxings.

I would definitely recommend the Griot's Garage line of products.

-MrB
Old 08-10-2004, 07:29 AM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

It's a pitty that we don't have the mothers / zaino / griots waxes over here.. The only thing we have is turtlewax wich isn't the best one in the world..

Maybe after you clayed the front and waxed that part again you can make a nice picture so we can admire your work!
Old 08-10-2004, 07:31 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545i/6sp SilverGray/Beige

Originally Posted by 530E60NL' date='Aug 10 2004, 09:29 AM
It's a pitty that we don't have the mothers / zaino / griots waxes over here.. The only thing we have is turtlewax wich isn't the best one in the world..

Maybe after you clayed the front and waxed that part again you can make a nice picture so we can admire your work!
You should try to contact Griot's, etc. to see about becoming a European distributor. Do they not ship internationally?

I'm not the most creative photographer, but I will see what I can do if we have good weather in Atlanta this weekend.

-MrB
Old 08-10-2004, 11:14 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by 530E60NL' date='Aug 10 2004, 09:29 AM
Send Griot's an email. Here's a link.
Old 08-10-2004, 11:23 AM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

Thanks, just send them an e-mail!!
Old 08-12-2004, 11:25 AM
Contributors

Mr. B.

I've been a big fan of Griots for years (bought my Dad the starter kit for fathers day). The paint clay does work very well. I used the Speed shine to 'wet' the area, then a tiny bit of clay to clean.

After that I do the wax. Our cars are so new that I don't think skipping that step was a big deal.

I bet your Garage smelled great after washing with their car washing soap. It's excellent. I also like the smell of the under carriage spray. My wife always knows I've detailed our cars because she notices that the garage smells good.

James
Old 08-12-2004, 11:27 AM
Contributors

Just recieved a reply from Griot's Garage.. Very clientfriendly people.

the e-mail:
Hello Mr. Friskes,

Thank you for taking the time to send us your email message. I understand that you are looking to purchase our car care products, and are looking for a retailer in Europe. We only sell our product direct, and we do not offer our products through any outside distributors. This is to ensure product and service quality.

We do have customers throughout Europe and around the globe who use our products. You can order online or by telephone. With all international orders, we ask that you contact us for a freight quote. All international orders are shipped via UPS International Express or UPS International Expedited service. If you have any additional questions please feel free to call our Customer Service Department at (800) 345-5789 6 am - 6 pm Monday thru Friday and 7 am - 3:30 pm Saturday PST. Thanks again for your email, and have a great day!

Have fun in your garage!
Mike Mothersell

I'm definately gonna buy stuff from them only because of the fact that they are so friendly!
Old 08-23-2004, 07:19 PM
Contributors

I've received Griot's Garage's catalog for several years but never ordered any of Griot's products until I purchased my new E60 last fall. I must say I've been VERY pleased with every product I've purchased from Griot's Garage. I especially like the Best of Show Wax and Griot's Car Wash.