Detailing Forum Don't know if that wax is any good? Get your detailing answers and tips here.

Which is the easiest colour leather to keep clean? Opinions please!

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 01:30 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Sept '06 535d M sport ,Silver ,Black Dakota Leather,HUD ,TV, Media ,Visibility,Heated F+R seats,Comfort Seats, Active seats ,Sun protection glass,Dark Poplar wood, sunroof ,Elec Sunblinds , Folding mirrors, 19" 172s ,Extended lights Package, Debadged

I'm going for a Carbon black 520d M sport next with natural brown leather. Any comments on whether this is a difficult leather to clean. I have black dakota in my current car which obviously is less aggravation than the lighter colours but i dont want black on black.

PS what does the grey leather look like in real life ? Does it suit the e60?
Old 07-21-2008, 01:34 AM
Contributors

I had gray leather on my previous 530d - check out my sig below for pics.. It was awesome but would get dirty quickly.

I have to admit, with my new car, everytime i drive my 2 year old nephew around, I make sure, I take off his shoes before he gets inside his child seat the real pain is the back part of the front seats - if it is black, then you are ok, but if it is the colour of the light leather (such as gray or natural brown), then you will struggle keeping that part clean because of the shoes..

btw. seems like you are the next to "downgrade" to a 520
Old 07-21-2008, 02:24 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 520d, Space Gray, Luxury Pack (Natural brown Dakota Leather, Memory seats, Light Poplar trim, soft close doors), Bluetooth, Logic 7, USB iPod integration.

Originally Posted by ressla' post='628904' date='Jul 21 2008, 10:30 AM
I'm going for a Carbon black 520d M sport next with natural brown leather. Any comments on whether this is a difficult leather to clean. I have black dakota in my current car which obviously is less aggravation than the lighter colours but i dont want black on black.

PS what does the grey leather look like in real life ? Does it suit the e60?
I only have my 520d two weeks, so can't really comment on keeping it clean. I have three children and chose the natural brown because it gave a nice mix of lightness to the interior, while combined with the black carpets for hiding the kiddie marks.
The combination of natural brown leather with black on the door cards and centre armrest looks fantastic too!
Old 07-21-2008, 02:24 AM
Members

My Ride: Sept '06 535d M sport ,Silver ,Black Dakota Leather,HUD ,TV, Media ,Visibility,Heated F+R seats,Comfort Seats, Active seats ,Sun protection glass,Dark Poplar wood, sunroof ,Elec Sunblinds , Folding mirrors, 19" 172s ,Extended lights Package, Debadged

Originally Posted by rsyed' post='628905' date='Jul 21 2008, 10:34 AM
I had gray leather on my previous 530d - check out my sig below for pics.. It was awesome but would get dirty quickly.

I have to admit, with my new car, everytime i drive my 2 year old nephew around, I make sure, I take off his shoes before he gets inside his child seat the real pain is the back part of the front seats - if it is black, then you are ok, but if it is the colour of the light leather (such as gray or natural brown), then you will struggle keeping that part clean because of the shoes..

btw. seems like you are the next to "downgrade" to a 520
you're 100% right about the back of the front seats. shoes off !
Old 07-21-2008, 03:39 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: F11 -14

Originally Posted by ressla' post='628910' date='Jul 21 2008, 12:24 PM
you're 100% right about the back of the front seats. shoes off !
+1 on that. The natural brown is a great colour and fairly easy to keep clean, but the kid's shoes makes mark on the plastic part on the back of the seats and I still haven't found a good remedy for getting those marks off.
Old 07-21-2008, 04:01 AM
Members

My Ride: Orient Blue 2005 530i E60-Winter Package

Mr. Clean's Magic Eraser works wonders for scuff marks. I have two kids so I know where you're coming from. Shoes off, no food or drink unless absolutely necessary. Keep napkins in the door compartments, wipes in the glove, and at least one plastic bag tucked away for garbage.
Old 07-21-2008, 10:09 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

There is NO one color that is easiest to maintain with kids.....They spill light colored stuff on dark colored interiors and dark stuff on light colored interiors! They really don't seem to care at all!! Personally I'd go with black or dark brown (I have this color on my X5), though as the the everyday dirt will not show up also with all the kid related messes!! Good Luck with your decision!
Old 07-21-2008, 10:41 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by dennisl2k079200' post='628925' date='Jul 21 2008, 07:01 AM
Mr. Clean's Magic Eraser works wonders for scuff marks. I have two kids so I know where you're coming from. Shoes off, no food or drink unless absolutely necessary. Keep napkins in the door compartments, wipes in the glove, and at least one plastic bag tucked away for garbage.
Be careful! The magic eraser may deteriorate the leather. My friend used to use it on the mustang door panels. Now his door is all messed up and the color is mostly fading and deteriorating.
Old 07-21-2008, 10:52 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, E90 M3 Sedan. Alpine White.Competition package, Keyhole cover, fender reflectors in Alpine white, RPI Exhaust, 19

ive had many cars.. and my kids are now 11 and 6.. get black interior .. trust me.. i had grey when they were young.. looks gross after a while.. the black yea you see the dusty footprints occasionally.. but it wipes with a baby wipe.. (i know you got those) and like all cars a weekly cleanup in necessary..
all i can tell you is as a mom.. and a car lunatic.. id go with the darkest you can get.. youll see dust and dried milk if your kids are using bottles.. but a quick wash up with a wet cloth cleans it quick.. and you see less wear over time...
Old 07-21-2008, 10:54 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, X6 Hybrid . Alpine White , every option. 20" Conti' NON runflats,OEM trunk spoiler , LUX V3 AE's , HP Thunder Fogs , custom front bumper reflector delete........

Originally Posted by melimel' post='629224' date='Jul 21 2008, 01:52 PM
ive had many cars.. and my kids are now 11 and 6.. get black interior .. trust me.. i had grey when they were young.. looks gross after a while.. the black yea you see the dusty footprints occasionally.. but it wipes with a baby wipe.. (i know you got those) and like all cars a weekly cleanup in necessary..
all i can tell you is as a mom.. and a car lunatic.. id go with the darkest you can get.. youll see dust and dried milk if your kids are using bottles.. but a quick wash up with a wet cloth cleans it quick.. and you see less wear over time...

yeah! what Mel said too !!

Quick Reply: Which is the easiest colour leather to keep clean? Opinions please!