Detailing Forum Don't know if that wax is any good? Get your detailing answers and tips here.

Difficulty cleaning front rims

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2006 | 09:22 AM
Senior Members

i use a wheel cleaner that lifts the break dust. spray heavy and let sit for a few minutes..comes right off with a brush and soap
Old 03-11-2006 | 09:24 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2001 BMW330ci, Steel Gray, Black leather, Steptronic, PP, SP, PDC, Heated seats, Xenon head lights, HK, 6 disk changer, OEM alarm, OEM clears,Iice white fog lights ,Universal trasnciver, 17 inch Michelin Pilot Sport Tires 2005 530i Titanium Gray,Black leather, Nav.,HUD,PP,CWP,SP,PDC,Xenon lights,Steptronic,Logic 7 sound system,,Fold down read seats,Power shades ON ORDER

Originally Posted by darkside' post='253153' date='Mar 10 2006, 10:58 PM
I try not to use anything on my rims that I would not use on my paint. If you wash the rims each time you wash the car, you should have no problems. Soft scrub over time will destroy your rim's paint! Go to autopia.org and learn how to safely detail your car.
I've been telling these guys about www.autopia.org for months and about what a great site it is for seeking information on detailing your car the right way.I guess they are to busy or to lazy and don't get there and keep asking or telling us about things like Soft and Scrub which is definitely not good for the rims.
cheers
vern
Old 03-11-2006 | 09:25 AM
KAF
Contributors

My Ride: F11 535i M-Sport,, Silver, Black Leather, LED Adaptive headlights
Model Year: 2015
Engine: N55

Originally Posted by dgjk' post='253114' date='Mar 11 2006, 12:32 AM
what kind of rims do you guys have?
I have the standard 138's
parked next to a buddy today with an e60 and he has the 123's - and I know he does not take care of his car like I do mine - and his rims were spotless -

So my question is - is this a 138 thing?

The finish on my 138's is certainly not smooth and glassy like my wifes Honda.

The Honda rims shed the brake dust with just water, the 138 rims seem to have a slightly matt finish which the brake dust sticks to.

I find I need to use either Auto Glym Clean wheels or wonder wheels quite often.

I will try wheel wax and see if that helps.
Old 03-11-2006 | 09:45 AM
Contributors

i know it was mentioned already but it helps
http://www.wheelwax.com/
Old 03-11-2006 | 10:03 AM
Members

My Ride: MY06 Silver-Grey 530i, Grey Leather, Sports Package, Steptronic, Premium Package, Satellite Radio, Bluetooth (Motorola V551), Llumar Platinum Tint.

Has anyone tried Krud Kutter? I've used it before on other cars and it works.
Old 03-11-2006 | 02:20 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Alpine White/Biege 545i, CWP, Nav, Active Steering, Auto Step ordered 2/1/05

Originally Posted by Oaktree' post='253212' date='Mar 11 2006, 08:25 AM
I use a Sonicare toothbrush to clean the corners of the wheels - works great!

If you haven't waxed your rims do it - it makes the cleaning process so much easier.
And you can use waxed floss between the spokes
Old 03-11-2006 | 02:27 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 530i Mystic Blue, Beige Leather, Sport, Premium, Prem Sound, Xenon, Nav, Steptronic, Power Shade

never use: 2) Brake-dust shields (hides brakes, looks fugly)

This solution WILL warp your brakes. These puppies need to breath!
Old 03-11-2006 | 03:08 PM
Members

My Ride: 525d se auto. black sapphire, 17" 5 spoke 138 style alloys. dark poplar trim, charcoal flat weave cloth, bluetooth phone prep, dimming rear view and side mirrors, lumbar support, heated front deats, phone cradle

138 rims should be just as shiny as any other rim, mine seem easy enough to clean, I remove tar with AutoGlym Tar Remover. Then polish with pure polish then wax every other week. Keeps them shiney and alot easier to clean
Old 03-11-2006 | 06:21 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i Titanium Silver Metallic, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood Trim, Cold Weather Package, Premium Sound Package, Sport Package, Steptronic, Navigation, Electric Rear Sunshades, Heated Rear Seats, Sirius Radio

I use Klasse AIO, a paint cleaner, on my rims followed by Klasse SG which is a synthetic paint sealant. This provides protection for the rims which are painted and clearcoated just like the rest of the car. My main car wash solution is QEW (quick and easy wash) by Protectall. This is a hoseless car wash that makes washing the car a lot quicker and, if done properly, does not harm the paint. Since I wash a minimum of weekly, and always do my rims, the brake dust never gets caked on and is a breeze to remove.

Everything is easy when you are coming from a black car. Gotta love silver!

Difficulty cleaning front rims-img_1628_1.jpg
Old 03-12-2006 | 12:43 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 520d M-sport - Steptronic - Carbon Black - Auburn Leather - Mem Seat - Cup Holders - Nav Pro - Light Pack - Dim/folding mirrors - Adv Airco - PDC - Aux/in - Non-smoke pack - De-badged - Delivery Mar 31, 2006

Originally Posted by darkside' post='253537' date='Mar 11 2006, 10:21 PM
I use Klasse AIO, a paint cleaner, on my rims followed by Klasse SG which is a synthetic paint sealant. This provides protection for the rims which are painted and clearcoated just like the rest of the car. My main car wash solution is QEW (quick and easy wash) by Protectall. This is a hoseless car wash that makes washing the car a lot quicker and, if done properly, does not harm the paint. Since I wash a minimum of weekly, and always do my rims, the brake dust never gets caked on and is a breeze to remove.

Everything is easy when you are coming from a black car. Gotta love silver!

Attachment 16463
Oops, I am handing in my silver Merc for a black E60 with the same rims (135).
These look really great, but as I am awaiting delivery, I keep on wondering how difficult they are to keep clean, especially the double spokes look a challenge.
It is re-assuring that yours look absolutely like new , but what's your mileage if I may ask?

Quick Reply: Difficulty cleaning front rims