Detailing Forum Don't know if that wax is any good? Get your detailing answers and tips here.

Detailing Rims

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 06:12 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Picked up a used 545i 2 years ago and recently added winter tires. Now that I have my summer tires off I notice the damage from brake dust. I'm cleaned them out as best I can, but I was thinking or getting a ScotchBrite pad, and then repainting them myself. Any one ever run across this problem, and possibly have any suggestions....

Sean
Old 02-08-2010, 07:23 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by VW2545i
Picked up a used 545i 2 years ago and recently added winter tires. Now that I have my summer tires off I notice the damage from brake dust. I'm cleaned them out as best I can, but I was thinking or getting a ScotchBrite pad, and then repainting them myself. Any one ever run across this problem, and possibly have any suggestions....

Sean

I have problems with my rims too.... parts of it has oxidized and a normal clean of the wheels wont do it anymore. Was told to use "Brasso" which is a brass cleaner you can buy here in Hong Kong or UK and its meant to work a treat!!!!
Old 02-08-2010, 07:54 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

Sean
Has the brake dust damaged the lacquer or is the brake dust just stuck on the surface? If it's just stuck on the wheel, you could try some aggressive clay.
A heavy clay could do something to the oxidization too...

- Antti -
Old 02-08-2010, 08:09 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: New ride from 14th May�07: 525iA LCI, Sport Suspension, Deep Sea Blue, Leather Dakota Natural Brown, Hi-Gloss Black trim, Star Spoke 124 18", Comfort Seats with memory, M -steering wheel, Glass Roof, Navi Professional, ProLogic7, USB-connection, Bi-Xenon, Extended Air Condition, Auto dimming mirrors, Electric Folding mirrors, Bluetooth for Cell Phone Sony Ericsson K750i, Electric rear window shade, Ligth package, Speed control with brake function, Cup Holders, Automatic head light control, PDC, Shadow line

Originally Posted by mark_hk
I have problems with my rims too.... parts of it has oxidized and a normal clean of the wheels wont do it anymore. Was told to use "Brasso" which is a brass cleaner you can buy here in Hong Kong or UK and its meant to work a treat!!!!
Hi,

Just use Swissvax Cleaner Fluid Medium (if very bad then first Clenaer Fluid Strong) and then wax the rims with Swissvax Autobahn rim wax. They will be like new - and the best is that the break dust will not stick any more

http://www.swissvax.com

BR TGII
Old 02-08-2010, 08:41 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545i, sport pkg, premium sound, sprint booster,

I had mine refurbished a few weeks ago. But my wheels also had scratches and some curb rash. One of the wheels also had what looked like tar on the inner side of it that would not come off. When I got them back, they looked like new! Cost for each wheel was $135. Looking forward to using Swissvax products on them to keep them pristine as soon as the weather warms up.
Old 02-08-2010, 12:34 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Anzafin
Has the brake dust damaged the lacquer or is the brake dust just stuck on the surface? If it's just stuck on the wheel, you could try some aggressive clay.
A heavy clay could do something to the oxidization too...

- Antti -
It looks like it may have on the fronts, they have the most damage. Whoever had her prior to me didn't take good care of the rims (and apparently lived in a car wash judging by the swirls she had!)Gonna try a PS21 gel 'bath' tonight and look into the Swissvax. It seems like tar almost, but is does come on when I use the brush.
Old 02-08-2010, 02:37 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Jet Black 530i with some mods

It looks like it may have on the fronts, they have the most damage. Whoever had her prior to me didn't take good care of the rims (and apparently lived in a car wash judging by the swirls she had!)Gonna try a PS21 gel 'bath' tonight and look into the Swissvax. It seems like tar almost, but is does come on when I use the brush.
Maybe this is a good reason to get youself some new wheels!
Old 02-09-2010, 05:25 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by leggomysakyo
Maybe this is a good reason to get youself some new wheels!
Thought that as well, but now it's like a personal challenge to see if I can clean them.

Sean
Old 02-11-2010, 02:11 PM
Contributors

Took some advice from my mother, thinking what's the worst I do and tried this stuff. Like Brasso, but in a powder:

I'll post pics later, but it took the 'baked' in dust right off.Not using on the clearcoat outer rims the PS21 took care of that. Naturally there is pitting in the metal, but I'll pick up some Wurth paint and respray the inner rims. Then put a nice coat of Swissvax or Rejex. Thanks for all the help I'll update with the end result.

Sean
Old 03-04-2010, 03:42 PM
Members

My Ride: 04 530i

You could also swing buy you local Detail shop and they should have a acid that they spray on the rims to clean them and have them clean them! I have a customer that ownes a detail shop and if I ever purchase a used car and it has break dust or whatever it is imbeded in the paint I take it to him he sprays on the acid and uses a presure washer to remove it and bam, perfectley clean. I belive it is called RED HOT.

Quick Reply: Detailing Rims