Detailing Forum Don't know if that wax is any good? Get your detailing answers and tips here.

Detailed

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2008 | 10:16 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 530i, Premium/Sport Packages. Heated Seats, Sat Radio, Mystic Blue Metallic and Dakota Gray Leather interior. Active steering and headlights, M5 166 wheels

Originally Posted by geneatals' post='536248' date='Feb 26 2008, 11:45 AM
looks good...can't wait to get my car cleaned today, since it's gonna be sunny and in the mid 70's all week...gotta love so cal weather
Where do you get yours done? I live in Anaheim, Ca. Haven't had mine done since I bought it on 2/11/08. I work in Long Beach so hopefully can get it done before the March 8th meetup.
Old 02-26-2008 | 10:20 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 M3 Convertible, Alpine White/black, 6 speed 2011 535xi Tasmin Green, Venetian Beige

Looks great but personally I disagree with the clay. Larry Reynolds from carcareonline.com who has forgotten more then I will ever know about auto detailing says that it is abrasive and unnecessary to use on anything but over spray:

There have been tremendous amounts of advertising and "hype" about overspray clays. Let us set the record straight. Overspray clays have been around since the 1930's (No, they are not brand new.) What is new is the marketing of a product for a use other than it was designed.
Overspray clay is a plasticine matrix with an abrasive intermixed throughout. It was designed and is still the best product to abrade (read grind off) fresh paint overspray from existing paint. This is a classic scenario of its designed usage. A body shop repaints a fender of your car and during the preparation process does not mask off the entire car. A little overspray finds its way onto other areas of your car. This overspray consists of tiny little dots of paint on top of the existing paint. The easiest way to remove this unwanted overspray is to "grind" it off with the clay. Copious amounts of lubricant such as Meguiar #34 Final Inspection or One Grand Show Off are sprayed on the paint and the clay is hydroplaned across the surface to abrade the little bumps of fresh paint from the existing paint. The body shop person "floats" the clay back and forth across the paint using only lateral pressure until the resistance ceases, indicating that the unwanted droplets have been ground off.

Many people are touting overspray clay as the new way to "clean" your paint. This is somewhat like washing your face by peeling off the top layer of skin. You will uncover a layer of fresh clean skin, but this may not be the most comfortable nor beneficial experience for your face. Clays smooth the surface of paint by grinding off the microscopic high spots of your paint, much like sandpaper smoothes a piece of wood. They are the best way to remove paint overspray, tree sap build up and other impossible to remove surface contaminants. Realize that you are also removing some paint with the contaminants, so usage of a clay should be utilized only after all other more gentle methods of cleaning your paint have failed.

Overspray clay is a double-edged sword. It can be a scratch waiting to happen. It must be used with only on a well-lubricated area and must be continually checked for contaminants. If you rub it on areas of the paint that have not been well lubricated or a piece of grit lodges in the clay, you have made "sandpaper" that will scratch the paint. The trick to properly using a clay is use copious amounts of lubricant and "float" the clay over the surface. The clay works best when it hydroplanes over the paint surface. You must continually refold the clay to expose a fresh clean surface. If contaminants lodge in the clay, simply tear off the section and discard. Once you have ground off all the surface contaminants, wash with a car wash, dry thoroughly, apply a quality polish to add emollient oils into the paint and finally wax.
Old 02-26-2008 | 10:59 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Originally Posted by dtvarnum' post='536320' date='Feb 26 2008, 11:16 AM
Where do you get yours done? I live in Anaheim, Ca. Haven't had mine done since I bought it on 2/11/08. I work in Long Beach so hopefully can get it done before the March 8th meetup.

You should hit up Fminus, quick shot up the 57 from anaheim and you're there...think he is in chino hills or pomona...
Old 02-26-2008 | 11:06 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535i, Carbon Black, Black Dakota, Black Diamond Trim, 6sp Sport Automatic with Paddles, M-Sport Package, Premium Package

That car looks super! Wow! I've got to do that to my car.
Old 02-26-2008 | 11:09 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550, Carbon Black Metallic, Natural Brown Dakota Leather, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Power Rear and Manual Side Sun Shades, etc. Retired - 2004 545 SMG, Black Sapphire Metallic, Auburn Dakota Leather, Cold Weather and Sports Packages, Power Rear and Manual Side Sun Shades

Thanks for all the compliments. It was not cheap, but it was a very complete, first class job. The car looks better than the day I picked it up (or it did until a drove around on the salt and snow covered roads). With respect to cost, two people worked on the car for a total of about 18 man hours. That plus the cost of quality product and the price seems very fair to me.

Rob
Old 02-26-2008 | 01:15 PM
Contributors

Hey, they posted a detail write-up on Autopia ... fantasic job.
Old 02-26-2008 | 02:50 PM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60 530i , Silver with leather Air Con iDrive 17" Breyton Rims with Dunlop Sp Sport tyres (M-Tech Bodykit and rims WANTED) Alfa Romeo 147 TS1.6 , Black with Air Con 17" Multi Spoke alloys with Bridgestone RE040 tyres Toyota MR-S 1.8 VVTI , Lagoon Blue with Red leather Air Con 15" standard alloys with Toyo tyres Toyota Celica 1.8 VVTI, Lagoon Blue, Air Con, 16" Standard alloys with Kuhmo KU31, EBC Green Stuff

O....you even got a coat of SW concorso on the top! Not bad for the price you paid and the quality of work.
Thinking to get myself the SW best of show
Old 03-05-2008 | 06:23 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 645Ci black/red, Eibach springs, K&N air filter, Wetterauer ECU upgrade, Eisenmann 83mmx4 exhaust, 20" Sportec wheels-Michelin PS2 tires, Hamann front add-on lip

Wow...great detailing job!!!