Detailing Forum Don't know if that wax is any good? Get your detailing answers and tips here.

debadge gone wrong

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 09:07 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why would you debadge but then put a sticker on? how cheap. The only reason to debadge is it looks clean and cool without anything on the trunk-you are just trying to pretend you dont have a 530 and leave people thinking you have a 550--otherwise debadging makes aboslutely no sense
Old 08-21-2010, 09:11 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

I've always used lighter fluid to remove adhesive residue, and it has never failed me!
Old 08-22-2010, 02:51 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E46 E60

same here, ended up putting it back on..
i too have a 4 years old car..
i think the adhesive already become one with the paint??!?
Old 08-22-2010, 04:39 AM
@mr
Members

My Ride: BMW 525i e60 (private) M-style,, Carbon Black, HUD, MM Interface. And a BMW 325 e90 (Business),

Patience and for me, Scratch-X was the key.
I credit card'ed the figures off the trunk, fingernailed the remaining adhesive, used gasoline to clean up the last bits,
gave a good Clay ->Scratch-X rubbing, Polish-> Wax treatment and its gone.
I do not think the adhesive interacts with the clear-coat. ON non clear coat you might see some wear of the paint around the badge area.. you can polish that away as well.
Old 08-22-2010, 05:12 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i mystic blue

diamond,first of all who shit in your rice crispys.im not pretending i have a 550 i was trying to delete the chrome. my paint underneath the 530i is obviously comprimised and now that i may have made it worse wet sanding the area, it will look like total shit if i just keep it like that. yes the sticker will take that clean look away but itll look better then a 530i outline etched in crappy paint. if i could go back 24 hours i wouldnt have did this because when i lifted the badge it lifted clear with it.
Old 08-22-2010, 05:19 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E61 CarbonBlack 535d, Ventilated and Heated Comfort Seats with Massage in Black Nasca Leather, Dark Poplar Wood, Professional Navi, Folding Rear Seats, Load Through, Advanced Remote, PDC, Bluetooth, Dimming and folding Mirrors, Bi-Xenons, Hi-Fi, Tinted

The best way to remove anything that doesn't go off while washing is claying, no?
Old 08-22-2010, 05:19 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E61 CarbonBlack 535d, Ventilated and Heated Comfort Seats with Massage in Black Nasca Leather, Dark Poplar Wood, Professional Navi, Folding Rear Seats, Load Through, Advanced Remote, PDC, Bluetooth, Dimming and folding Mirrors, Bi-Xenons, Hi-Fi, Tinted

Originally Posted by inktoxicated
diamond,first of all who shit in your rice crispys.im not pretending i have a 550 i was trying to delete the chrome. my paint underneath the 530i is obviously comprimised and now that i may have made it worse wet sanding the area, it will look like total shit if i just keep it like that. yes the sticker will take that clean look away but itll look better then a 530i outline etched in crappy paint. if i could go back 24 hours i wouldnt have did this because when i lifted the badge it lifted clear with it.
Can you post a pic, please?
Old 08-22-2010, 06:01 AM
@mr
Members

My Ride: BMW 525i e60 (private) M-style,, Carbon Black, HUD, MM Interface. And a BMW 325 e90 (Business),

Originally Posted by hondik
The best way to remove anything that doesn't go off while washing is claying, no?
IT removed anything that does not go off by washing, as long as it is old wax, treejuice and other irregularities. Using it on adhesive residue will not really work well I guess.
It basically is to prepare your paint for the polishing and waxing.

As for the OP.. you might be able to have the ugly edges machine removed by a prof detailer. At least thye would likely be able to get the shine back. Or take 2 hrs with a rubbing compound
(very mild) yourself. I think that commenting how the damage was done is not relevant and water under the bridge. Lets try to remedy the result. I know it is a shitty feeling (not in the rice crispies ) when something like this happens. Any of the professional detailers here are of course welcome to reply
Old 08-22-2010, 06:58 AM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545I SMG

Originally Posted by hondik
Can you post a pic, please?
I agree. We need a pic to determine what measures you need to take to remove the outline. I debadged my 545 and I had an outline but with some Menzenera polishing compounds and a buffer, it came out relatively easy.
Old 08-22-2010, 07:48 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i mystic blue

here ya go
Attached Thumbnails debadge gone wrong-pictures-2010-026.jpg   debadge gone wrong-pictures-2010-027.jpg  

Quick Reply: debadge gone wrong