Detailing Forum Don't know if that wax is any good? Get your detailing answers and tips here.

Damage to paint?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 05:43 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Guys,

Its been months (i know its shameful) since I properly spent a few hours cleaning the car but now I need some advice. Basically here in beautiful sunny Britain we've had some utterly crap weather. For weeks its been raining and it just hasnt been practical to wash/wax (Garage is full of junk so I cant bring the car in to wash it there)

Yesterday It was sunny most of the day and dry so I it was as good a time as any to finally give her a clean.

My past procedure has been:

Hose off

Bucket of warm water + Meguiers NXT/Gold Class Shampoo + Meguiars Cleaning Mitt (its weird massaging soap suds and water into paint - strangely erotic)

Hose off
Quick drive until dry
Meguiars NXT Wax
Wipe/Buff off with Meguiars special microfibre cloth thing (Cost around 10 quid for one tiny little cloth)

However this time I decided I'd do things to a greater degree of anal attentiveness so went and bought Meguiars 3 step system thing.
This ended up in me doing the following...

Hose off
Bucket of warm water + Meguiers NXT/Gold Class Shampoo + Meguiars Cleaning Mitt
Hose off
Quick drive until dry
Meguiars Stage 1 - Paint Cleaner
Meguiars Stage 2 - Polish
Meguiars NXT Wax

(all removed with that 10 quid microfibre thing)

The problem is that I only managed to get the paint cleaner stuff on and off for the entire car. The only part of the car that received polish/wax was the bonnet/hood. (Temp started dropping and water condensation started forming on the car)

Meaning the rest of the car remains unpolished and unwaxed.

Is this going to be an issue? The weather is really quite crap at the moment and im not sure when its going to break for long enough on a day I have the time to finish the job so I might be driving around for awhile with only the bonnet properly protected

Any advice?

Apologies if this sounds like its written by a retard btw. For some reason ive lost the ability to coherently express myself!
Old 01-17-2008, 06:19 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60 530i , Silver with leather Air Con iDrive 17" Breyton Rims with Dunlop Sp Sport tyres (M-Tech Bodykit and rims WANTED) Alfa Romeo 147 TS1.6 , Black with Air Con 17" Multi Spoke alloys with Bridgestone RE040 tyres Toyota MR-S 1.8 VVTI , Lagoon Blue with Red leather Air Con 15" standard alloys with Toyo tyres Toyota Celica 1.8 VVTI, Lagoon Blue, Air Con, 16" Standard alloys with Kuhmo KU31, EBC Green Stuff

Hi Jay,

Here is my suggestion mate:

"Quick drive until dry"
That will pick up dirts and grimes...etc.....and it could make things even worst!! Find youself some decent mircofiber cloths for drying the car (see other thread), what you actually doing there were creating more scratches to the car, not protecting!!

Megiaurs retail range (3step) are fine but for the same money i will go for the others. (e.g Klasse or carlack, Clearkote, chemical guys,Jeffs)

"UK crap weather"
Yes, you're right!! I'm in UK as you can see in my profile, but if i were you i would wait until the sun comes out rather than do the bonnet alone. Btw jay, expecting some sunsine next week, so check the weather before you plan or start any work (Like i do )

My final suggestion is if you want your car looks good, find a decent detailer in your area and let them do the job (e.g Paint correction), then buy yourself a decent paint cleaner (not the Meg one ) and wax to top it up yourself.

Goodluck mate!

Cheers
Keith
Old 01-17-2008, 07:13 AM
Senior Members

Where do you buy the Klasse or carlack, Clearkote, chemical guys,Jeffs etc from?
Old 01-17-2008, 07:55 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60 530i , Silver with leather Air Con iDrive 17" Breyton Rims with Dunlop Sp Sport tyres (M-Tech Bodykit and rims WANTED) Alfa Romeo 147 TS1.6 , Black with Air Con 17" Multi Spoke alloys with Bridgestone RE040 tyres Toyota MR-S 1.8 VVTI , Lagoon Blue with Red leather Air Con 15" standard alloys with Toyo tyres Toyota Celica 1.8 VVTI, Lagoon Blue, Air Con, 16" Standard alloys with Kuhmo KU31, EBC Green Stuff

here you go mate :

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/index.php