Detailing Forum Don't know if that wax is any good? Get your detailing answers and tips here.

Car detailing advice.

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2013, 12:14 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Sapphire Black 07 530i non-sport 7000k Angel Eyes 6000k HID Xenon adaptive turn Head lamps and Fogs, Clear LED Turn Signals front/back and side markers. Clear bright license plate lamp. Full interior lighting upgrade. Coding: daytime angel eyes, auto windows up, and digital speedometer. (Thanks to John at Motorcepts.com) OEM Tinted LCI Tail lights (Thanks to David at http://www.luxmotorwerks.com Oem Mtec rear bumper with diffuser and M5trunk finisher Debadged! The best paint work! (Thanks to Desimone BMW) 20x8.5 +18 20x10 +25 Concept One RS-8 Black Machined Chrome Lip V6.1 cables (Thanks to Bruce Miranda) Nitto Invo tires 285x30 R20 - 245x35 R20 Discounttire.com Vac Motorsports ecu chip upgrade, and fender roll http://vacmotorsports.com/ wish list: Rieger Front bumper Hamann side skirts Custom quad exhaust Rpi Ram air intake scoop M5 SMG shift knob KW Variant 3 suspension Brembo Big Brake kit LCI Heads Tints BMW M5
Default Car detailing advice.

Looking to Detail my car.
Any recommendations on the absolute best product for leather, and body?

I just bought a crap load of this stuff called Auto GLYM for leather, vinyl, rubber, shampoo, wax, everything, so far the leather stuff made my passenger side look duller than my driver side. I even used a handheld buffer to really massage it in. Stuff was pretty expensive too..

now I'm worried about using this product on the body.
Old 06-06-2013, 02:35 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am not familiar with this line of product. Assume you are referring to Autoglym Leather Care Balm.

Description on Amazon reads "A blend of soaps and natural oils in purified water to gently clean and moisturise the leather in your car".

The Dakota leather in your BMW is pigmented leather, which is leather that is painted with an opaque die, sealed with a sheet of protective vinyl (urethane) and then pressed together under pressure and heat to raise a simulated grain pattern. This type of leather is used in 98% of automobiles today and is very durable, stain resistant, durable and easy to take care of. Rather than choose expensive unblemished leather hides, less expensive hides can be painted and then coated to provide cost effective leather for autos.

But unlike aniline leather (which is uncoated and will stain if a drop of water is applied), pigmented leather does not need oils or "moisturizers" to maintain the suppleness of the leather. The urethane coating prevents any moisturizers from reaching the actual leather. Instead, simply protecting the plastic urethane coating will keep the leather looking great.

To protect the urethane coating of pigmented leather, vacuum the surface regularly to remove dirt, sand and small abrasive grit that when ground into the surface will dull the urethane. Wipe it down regularly with a clean cloth and clean water to remove more dirt. Occasionally apply a vinyl protectant to protect the urethane, especially one that contains UV blockers that prevent sun damage.

Most leather protectors available today are designed specifically for pigmented leather and are designed to protect the urethane coating. You can avoid any leather conditioner that talks about oils or moisturizers that feed the leather. They will simply sit on top of the urethane coating until they are worn away by your clothing.

If you have an older automobile and the water spot test indicates that the leather is uncoated then by all means use the moisturizers, but for the Dakota leather in BMW E60s you will only be sliding around on a greasy surface and do nothing to protect the urethane leather coating.
Old 06-07-2013, 08:01 AM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: Alpine White 2010 535 M-Sport

Thanks BimmerFan52. Great info.
Old 06-13-2013, 11:43 AM
Members

My Ride: Sapphire Black 07 530i non-sport 7000k Angel Eyes 6000k HID Xenon adaptive turn Head lamps and Fogs, Clear LED Turn Signals front/back and side markers. Clear bright license plate lamp. Full interior lighting upgrade. Coding: daytime angel eyes, auto windows up, and digital speedometer. (Thanks to John at Motorcepts.com) OEM Tinted LCI Tail lights (Thanks to David at http://www.luxmotorwerks.com Oem Mtec rear bumper with diffuser and M5trunk finisher Debadged! The best paint work! (Thanks to Desimone BMW) 20x8.5 +18 20x10 +25 Concept One RS-8 Black Machined Chrome Lip V6.1 cables (Thanks to Bruce Miranda) Nitto Invo tires 285x30 R20 - 245x35 R20 Discounttire.com Vac Motorsports ecu chip upgrade, and fender roll http://vacmotorsports.com/ wish list: Rieger Front bumper Hamann side skirts Custom quad exhaust Rpi Ram air intake scoop M5 SMG shift knob KW Variant 3 suspension Brembo Big Brake kit LCI Heads Tints BMW M5

Thanks....very informative. Just what I needed to know.

The sanding sounds a little scary but ill try it. What kind of sand paper?

Is the door panel leather the same leather you are talking about?

When I got my windows tinted the guy taped the window buttons to prevent me from opening them by accident. When I moved the tape it left the glue from the tape on the button and leather or vinyl above the button. I tried rubbing it out with no luck...the only thing that came off was the coated surface around the button which now looks like shit.

I think sanding would be the next option
Old 06-13-2013, 11:50 AM
Members

Any product that great for waxing the outside? So far I.ve used just basic car soap I clipped into the hose. I sponge it, and dry.

I have a hand held buffer I'm dying to use. Is there anything I should know before I buff the Crap outta my car?

I use WD40 to clean all the water spots on the chrome trim...works perfect!
Old 07-09-2013, 06:36 PM
New Members

My Ride: M550i
Model Year: 2018

autoglym product is amazing
Old 07-09-2013, 08:18 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

opticoat for body and wheels...but make sure you perform a thorough detail including paint correction before OC application...