Detailing Forum Don't know if that wax is any good? Get your detailing answers and tips here.

California Duster

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2004, 01:03 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used a full size California Duster to dust my wheels in a couple of minutes. I was in a hurry so I tried it and it worked very well. The full size works fine because of the design a my rims. A few spokes with large gaps.

Check out the mini Cal duster for rims with more complex designs.

Update: I purchased the mini Cal duster, dedicated it to wheel cleaning and it works very well. It's much easier to handle than the large, original Cal Duster.
I also started using the Swiffer dust cloth to clean behind the spokes.

Note: I have no interest (financial or otherwise) in the above mentioned product or website.
Old 08-08-2004, 09:48 PM
Contributors

I suppose you are forced to dedicate it to that task afterwards. It will get so black you can't touch anything else. Might not be cost-effective.
Old 08-09-2004, 07:46 AM
Senior Members

If you compare cost vs. convenience, being able to get it done in a couple of minutes might be worth it especially when you price some of the car care products made for this purpose by the gallon and extrapolate the cost over the life of your car ownership.

It is for me.
Old 08-09-2004, 08:44 AM
JDN
Contributors

By golly, it works, Jimbo! browellm, take notice - I did the following, because I wanted to.

I went out and took me trusty California duster off the garage wall and checked out the wheels. The car and the wheels looked great in the garage lighting because I haven't driven over a couple of hundred miles around the area since my cleanup eight days ago.

So, I ran my finger over the rim and it came away black as could be and the area under the wipe was much lighter. So I gave all four wheels Jimbo's duster treatment, and it worked.

Now, it saved me the bother of hooking up the hose. I could have done the same thing with the wheel brush and a light spray of water. I think I will be doing it again.
Old 08-09-2004, 11:03 AM
Senior Members

Yeah!
Old 08-10-2004, 06:29 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545i/6sp SilverGray/Beige

I got a "Starter Kit" from Griot's Garage that included a big spray bottle of their wheel cleaner and a cleaning sponge and that stuff works like a champ. It cuts right through the brake dust and rinses off very nicely.

-MrB
Old 08-10-2004, 06:31 AM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

I would like to warn you for rimcleaners. They tend to be very aggresive and can result in a rusting brakeclaw (correct word???).
Old 08-10-2004, 06:35 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545i/6sp SilverGray/Beige

The Griot's Garage wheel cleaner smells like it is a citrus based cleaner, which shouldn't harm the metal of the brake system. Anyway, I don't let it sit for very long; just long enough to scrub the wheels, then I rinse off. I've used it 3 times now and haven't noticed any corrosion on the brake rotor.

I now need to get a brush to clean the inner rim as my hands are too big and the rotor edges are very sharp.

-MrB
Old 08-10-2004, 07:10 AM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

I don't know if you have halfords in the US. But the have the best brush to do that. It looks a bit like a small toiletbrush but works like a charm. They aren't very durable: Maybe 50 washes but they ain't expensive too

Price: 3.95 euro
Attached Thumbnails California Duster-wheelbrush.jpg  
Old 08-10-2004, 07:59 AM
JDN
Contributors

Here is my brush for nooks and crannies. Picked it up at Auto Zone for 1.99 USD.
Attached Thumbnails California Duster-wheelbrush.jpg  

Quick Reply: California Duster