Detailing Forum Don't know if that wax is any good? Get your detailing answers and tips here.

Buffer swirls!

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2005, 09:38 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: COMING!! 2006 M5 - December build - January delivery. 2004 530i - Silver Gray Metallic; Black Leather; Premium Pkg; Premium Sound Pkg; Cold Weather Pkg; Steptronic; Comfort Seats; Glass Moonroof; Rear Side Airbags; Adaptive Bi-xenon; Euro Rear Reflectors - Delivered 12/3/03 2003 M3 - Carbon Black Metallic; Black Leather; Premium Pkg; Park Distance Control; Xenon; Hardon-Kardon; Alum Int. Trim; SMG - Delivered 2/17/03

My M3 was side-swiped a couple of weeks ago. I picked it up from the repair shop yesterday and although they did a great job with the bodywork and paint, they used a buffer to shine it up. Its covered with buffer swirls! (The car has always been hand washed and hand waxed.) Anyone know how to get rid of the swirls?

Thanks
Old 01-18-2005, 10:09 AM
JDN
Contributors

Best way would be not to pay the body shop until the swirls are removed.
Old 01-22-2005, 11:02 AM
Members

My Ride: 05 525i SilverGray/Black Step/Nav/Cold/Premium/Xenons

You should take it to a detail shop & have it rebuffed with a DA polishing machine & a goos quality glaze such as the one made by 3M. I always use 3M products as there the best around along with zymol of course. Try to have the body shop pick up the tab.
Old 01-22-2005, 01:57 PM
Members

My Ride: COMING!! 2006 M5 - December build - January delivery. 2004 530i - Silver Gray Metallic; Black Leather; Premium Pkg; Premium Sound Pkg; Cold Weather Pkg; Steptronic; Comfort Seats; Glass Moonroof; Rear Side Airbags; Adaptive Bi-xenon; Euro Rear Reflectors - Delivered 12/3/03 2003 M3 - Carbon Black Metallic; Black Leather; Premium Pkg; Park Distance Control; Xenon; Hardon-Kardon; Alum Int. Trim; SMG - Delivered 2/17/03

Originally Posted by NY525' date='Jan 22 2005, 02:02 PM
You should take it to a detail shop & have it rebuffed with a DA polishing machine & a goos quality glaze such as the one made by 3M.? I always use 3M products as there the best around along with zymol of course.? ? Try to have the body shop pick up the tab.
[snapback]81934[/snapback]
Thanks _ I appreciate it!
Old 03-22-2005, 03:39 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 05 530 Titanium Silver/Sexy black

simple polish from Mothers should get it out...
Old 03-22-2005, 06:15 PM
Innovative Detailing

Typical of any body shop, prep, paint, color sand ( usually ) and cut with a wool pad. If your lucky they will then proceed to polish with a rotory and a foam pad. Usually the marks are from using inferior products, dirty polishing pads or the wrong technique. I would recommend that you hire a professional detailier to do the job. Check on www.mobileworks.com for a skilled and qualified detailer in your area and ask for references. If you check on my website @www.innovativedetailing.com you can see the kind of cars we work with, if you were my customer I would recommend the following.

1) Depending on the severety of the swirls I would either finish off with a foam polishing pad using Meguiar's Speed Glaze and a rotary polisher @ 1,500-1,800 rpm. If not that bad of a swirl marks use a Porter Cable D.A. and a foam polishing pad with Meguiar's Speed Glaze.

2) After polishing check the vehicle under different lighting conditions, ie. natural light and incandescent or flouresent check to see if swirls have been removed.

3) Follow up with a premium wax such as Meguiar's Gold Class liquid or paste wax or the NXT wax.

This should resolve your problem.
Good Luck
Old 04-11-2005, 08:04 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Jet Black/Black, Sport Package, Satellite

Greetings:

Thanks for starting the post...just noticed that my new Jet Black 545i has numerous swirl marks throughout the entire vehicle...at first, I went back to the car wash (which is done completely by hand) to blame them but was told they did not do it...ithey claimed it was 99.9% probably done at my dealership when they prepped my car....do I have any recourse with the dealer?...can I insist they "do the car over" and remove the swirl marks or have them cover the cost for a detail????
Old 04-11-2005, 01:50 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Innovative Detailing' date='Mar 23 2005, 04:15 AM
Typical of any body shop, prep, paint, color sand ( usually ) and cut with a wool pad. If your lucky they will then proceed to polish with a rotory and a foam pad. Usually the marks are from using inferior products, dirty polishing pads or the wrong technique. I would recommend that you hire a professional detailier to do the job. Check on www.mobileworks.com for a skilled and qualified detailer in your area and ask for references. If you check on my website @www.innovativedetailing.com you can see the kind of cars we work with, if you were my customer I would recommend the following.

1) Depending on the severety of the swirls I would either finish off with a foam polishing pad using Meguiar's Speed Glaze and a rotary polisher @ 1,500-1,800 rpm. If not that bad of a swirl marks use a Porter Cable D.A. and a foam polishing pad with Meguiar's Speed Glaze.

2) After polishing check the vehicle under different lighting conditions, ie. natural light and incandescent or flouresent check to see if swirls have been removed.

3) Follow up with a premium wax such as Meguiar's Gold Class liquid or paste wax or the NXT wax.

This should resolve your problem.
Good Luck
[snapback]105353[/snapback]
Speed glaze might not do the trick since that has a cutting level 4, which is pretty mild.

If the swirls are heavy, I recommend Megiuars DACP (dual action cleaner polish) followed up with Meguiars Swirl Free Polish.

Then, seal the paint with Klasse AIO or Poorboys EX-P pure sealant, and THEN follow up with a PREMIUM wax like Pinnacle Souveran or P21S or S100.
Old 04-21-2005, 05:46 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 525i Jet Black on Grey Interior--- Tint: Sides 20% Rear Windshield 5% Front Windshield 35% Wheels: Zenetti Five's 20" by 8.5(front) 20" by 10(rear)-- Tires: Pirelli Asimmetrico 245/35/20(front) 285/30/20(rear)-- Body: Hamann Full Front Spoiler, Rieger Side Skirts, Rieger Rear Apron, AC Schnitzer Trunk Wing Interior: AC Schnitzer Pedal Set and E-Break Springs: H&R Sport Springs-- Audio: 2 12" Kicker L7's with a Rockford Fosgate 1501bd Amp With Custom Trunk Enclosure SOON TO COME: -M5 Mirrors -M5 Trunk Finsher -Brembo GT Big Brake Kit -Hamann 6 Series Front Spliter Molded -Hamann Roof Wing -Full Custom Sound System with TV's

Well I thought I knew alot about deatailing.. but i recently got a job at a deatilaing place to get more knowledge about it... what you want to do is get a rotory buffer.. then apply a light cut polish and use the rotoary to buff it out then wax the car after applying using a orbital buffer.. but at that point its jsut cheaper to take it to a deatial place lol... but know that I work there I bought the equipment for myself and trust me these things work.. good luck