Detailing Forum Don't know if that wax is any good? Get your detailing answers and tips here.

Buff Buff Buff away!

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2006, 06:02 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whenever i apply Zymol (ahh the beach) or Meguiers Tech Wax to the bonnet (hood) or boot (trunk) i find it increadibly difficult to buff off without it leaving what can only be described as 'streakyness'.

In the light i can see bits that havnt buffed off properly.

To combat this I buff as much as my arms will take and then spray on some Meguiers nxt wax which rubs off quite easily and leaves no 'mess' behind.

Am i missing something (bar a polisher) or is this the same for everyone?

Car is cool/cold when I wax and i follow all the instructions properly. I use the proper applicator and proper cotton towel for rubbing off too...
Old 01-10-2006, 07:36 AM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

I used Zymol for many years, but got tired of the difficult application/removal process, and lack of durability, so a few years ago I switched to One Grand Blitz wax. High quality carnauba, easy on/off (apply to entire car, then buff off!), and great durability for a carnauba. I do miss the coconut smell, though!!

After years of experimenting, I found the best results with Zymol are obtained by applying as thin a coat as possible with a closed cell foam pad (I used the Zymol pad) to a 2" x 2" section max, and buff off before it dries using a microfiber towel. The microfiber towel makes a big difference--give that a try. Or better, switch to Blitz! Are you using Zymol Creame or Carbon (carbon is for dark cars)?
Old 01-10-2006, 03:55 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530xi. Deep green with beige interior. 6 speed manual. Premium package.

Yeah, I have to do the buff, buff, buff ting - what I found that works is multiple rags - I start withone - buff lightly - no pressure but a lot of buffing, then switch to another clean rag, then another - it works

lots of time, but since no pressure minial effort
Old 01-11-2006, 02:42 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E46 320i, M3 paddle shift, Sat Nav

There is bound to have some streaks left on the paintwork if its not buffed properly. For me to be sure I would use a quick detailer or Zymol field glaze to go over it with a microfiber cloth. That should do the trick. Try it.