Detailing Forum Don't know if that wax is any good? Get your detailing answers and tips here.

Brake dust. My wheels are choking!

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2005, 06:28 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's your answer!
Attached Thumbnails Brake dust.  My wheels are choking!-bmw_158.jpg  
Old 12-26-2005, 06:43 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

WheelWax works too. Makes them easier to clean.
Old 12-29-2005, 03:59 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i Titanium Silver, Black Dakota Leather, Aluminum Cube Trim, M Sport Pkg, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, Head Up Display, Steptronic, Comfort Seats, Rear Heated Seats, Through Load, Park Distance Control, Navigation , HK Logic 7, etc

Originally Posted by rodneyremington' post='215628
New Friends in the BMW world,

Just traded in my 2001 M3 on a 2004 545i sport package with 18 in wheels. The problem of break dust in much greater on the 545 compared to the M3. I am new to this problem. I nevered worrriend about it on the old "suburban" prior to the M3. What can be done???
I use a california car duster on the wheels a couple times a week. Works great as long as the brake dust hasn't been wet (ie. rained on).
[/quote]

so what do you do if it has been rained on? or snow or whatever?
Old 12-29-2005, 04:30 AM
Members

I have used P21S Gel wheel cleaner on all my cars. You can spray it on and leave it on up to two hours but I usually don't. I spray the wheels first and then wash the rest of the car and come back to the wheels last. My wheels get the old wash mit when the paint gets a new one(about every 3 months). If you do your wheels often enough you can actually just hose it off and not use a brush/wash mit.
Old 12-29-2005, 04:52 AM
Members

You can clean the dust with wheel cleaner from 1z by example, then pass a clay bar for deeper cleaning.

After that pass a sealant like poorboys wheel sealant.
Old 12-29-2005, 05:38 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Originally Posted by vnod' post='215785
Thanks to all of you!!!! You guys are really great. I am going to get some rejex and a big bath towel!!

If any of you come through Nashville let me know and I will buy you coffee.

Jim Netterville

Do different wheel make a difference. I guess with less spokes (price goes up) they are easier to cleam. At least with the stock wheels on the 545i sport package, which are more open, they are eaier to clean. The 18' wheel on my M3 where a bear to clean, I kept taking the skin off of my nuckles.

Thanks!!!
Different wheel definitely make a difference. Regardless, I still do well enough with my style 101's, but my stock wheels, like yours, are easier. Check the 101's out in my gallery photos linked in my sig. I don't know for sure if fewer spokes always implies higher prices other things equal.
[/quote]

Exactly. I just cleaned my 123s for the first time (they almost looked copper) with nothing more than some terry towels and some diluted P21S bodywork shampoo. Granted, it was hot water (2 bucket approach) and I toasted 9 towels on 4 wheels, but -all of it- came off with the lightest, gentlest wiping. Someday I'll make use of that P21S gel I bought!

Oh, I almost forgot - a friend of mine who races BMWs put some Hawk Ceramic pads on his E90. Killed the brake dust problem dead. Look here:

http://www.bimmerworld.com/Projects/E90project_pads.htm
Old 12-29-2005, 07:15 AM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by Trev550i' post='216745
Originally Posted by jlnetter' post='215627' date='Dec 26 2005, 12:05 AM
New Friends in the BMW world,

Just traded in my 2001 M3 on a 2004 545i sport package with 18 in wheels. The problem of break dust in much greater on the 545 compared to the M3. I am new to this problem. I nevered worrriend about it on the old "suburban" prior to the M3. What can be done???
I use a california car duster on the wheels a couple times a week. Works great as long as the brake dust hasn't been wet (ie. rained on).
so what do you do if it has been rained on? or snow or whatever?
[/quote]

The duster will still remove most of the brake dust, but some spots remain--you can clean them up with a damp rag. For 8 months out of the year (when it doesn't rain in the bay area ) not an issue!
Old 12-29-2005, 07:46 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

[/[/quote]

Oh, I almost forgot - a friend of mine who races BMWs put some Hawk Ceramic pads on his E90. Killed the brake dust problem dead. Look here:

[/quote]

Well, this starts to sound as an solution, even if I'm not sure Ceramic pads are good for everyday use.

I know that some of our city taxis (they drive E-Mercedes-Benzes and E60's!) use not OEM brake pads
just for this reason.
I have heard that they last longer also in the tense city traffic.
I need to find out what brand they use...

This whole problem is caused by that the old brake pads used Asbestos (causes Cancer and is now forbidden) as the binding material in the pads.
"They" changed the material to coal which now causes the dirt problem.
Old 12-29-2005, 07:55 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by Ricracing
[/

[/quote]

Well, this starts to sound as an solution, even if I'm not sure Ceramic pads are good for everyday use.

I know that some of our city taxis (they drive E-Mercedes-Benzes and E60's!) use not OEM brake pads
just for this reason.
I have heard that they last longer also in the tense city traffic.
I need to find out what brand they use...

This whole problem is caused by that the old brake pads used Asbestos (causes Cancer and is now forbidden) as the binding material in the pads.
"They" changed the material to coal which now causes the dirt problem.
[/quote]
You won't lose much braking power with ceramics. Many Z06 owner use them for the obvious reason.
Old 12-29-2005, 08:23 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

[/quote]
You won't lose much braking power with ceramics. Many Z06 owner use them for the obvious reason.
[/quote]

"...lose much braking power..."?

I would like to keep all I have and at all circumstances, as the brakes cold and also as wet!

Do you or anyone have some data on this?

Quick Reply: Brake dust. My wheels are choking!