Detailing Forum Don't know if that wax is any good? Get your detailing answers and tips here.

Brake dust. My wheels are choking!

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2005, 11:05 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

New Friends in the BMW world,

Just traded in my 2001 M3 on a 2004 545i sport package with 18 in wheels. The problem of break dust in much greater on the 545 compared to the M3. I am new to this problem. I nevered worrriend about it on the old "suburban" prior to the M3. What can be done???
Old 12-25-2005, 11:08 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i with everything

Originally Posted by jlnetter' post='215627' date='Dec 26 2005, 12:05 AM

Just traded in my 2001 M3 on a 2004 545i sport package with 18 in wheels. The problem of break dust in much greater on the 545 compared to the M3. I am new to this problem. I nevered worrriend about it on the old "suburban" prior to the M3. What can be done???
I use a california car duster on the wheels a couple times a week. Works great as long as the brake dust hasn't been wet (ie. rained on).
Old 12-26-2005, 06:25 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by jlnetter' post='215627' date='Dec 26 2005, 03:05 AM

I "dust/wipe" it off daily in about 5 minutes using a large soft beach towel. I don't do a "perfect" job daily. I clean it off thoroughly usually no longer than every two weeks. If not washing my car at the same time, I use Meguiar's "Quick Detailer" to do the thorough cleanings. For the daily cleanings, I also somtimes use "Quick Detailer" sprayed on the towel and then dried with another spot on the towel.
Old 12-26-2005, 07:16 AM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

I use a California mini duster. You can also apply RejeX, which will lessen the amount of brake dust that sticks.
Old 12-26-2005, 09:13 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545iS 6 spd, bought new via eBay, 11/05; Blk/Gry, Cold, L7, PDC, BMW Rear seatcover for pets. First "Bumwa" was a new 1971 2002. High performance 5s since 1987. Beamer motorcycles too, currently on an 07 BMW K1200 GT; also a Moto Guzzi 1000 SP III.

Welcome to the Big Boys club.

First, you might want to be sure that you have OEM pads in there (good for at least 35K miles). And don't forget that you are getting iron there too...those discs are made to sacrifice themselves a bit too. That's why when replacement time comes we get BIG bills for whole assembly. (At least that was the case with my 540iS E39).

Otherwise, I have received, but have not applied due to weather, a wheel wax from Bavarian Auto Sports that allegedly makes clean up easier because of the slipperyness it imparts on the wheels. Don't know though, and further, wonder if the carwash detergeants used on wheels won't strip that wax off anyway...

So, you may want to try BavAutosports. http://www.bavauto.com/shop.asp look under detailing>wheels.

Don't fret about it though.

Ray Hull
Old 12-26-2005, 09:18 AM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by Ray Hull' post='215693' date='Dec 26 2005, 10:13 AM
Otherwise, I have received, but have not applied due to weather, a wheel wax from Bavarian Auto Sports that allegedly makes clean up easier because of the slipperyness it imparts on the wheels. Don't know though, and further, wonder if the carwash detergeants used on wheels won't strip that wax off anyway...

So, you may want to try BavAutosports. http://www.bavauto.com/shop.asp look under detailing>wheels.
The high temps will melt that wax right off--it's really a waste of time. RejeX was developed specifically for high temp applications (for the US military) so it lasts a long time.
http://www.corrosionx.com/rejex.html
Old 12-26-2005, 03:33 PM
Members

Thanks to all of you!!!! You guys are really great. I am going to get some rejex and a big bath towel!!

If any of you come through Nashville let me know and I will buy you coffee.

Jim Netterville

Do different wheel make a difference. I guess with less spokes (price goes up) they are easier to cleam. At least with the stock wheels on the 545i sport package, which are more open, they are eaier to clean. The 18' wheel on my M3 where a bear to clean, I kept taking the skin off of my nuckles.

Thanks!!!
Old 12-26-2005, 05:03 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545iS 6 spd, bought new via eBay, 11/05; Blk/Gry, Cold, L7, PDC, BMW Rear seatcover for pets. First "Bumwa" was a new 1971 2002. High performance 5s since 1987. Beamer motorcycles too, currently on an 07 BMW K1200 GT; also a Moto Guzzi 1000 SP III.

Originally Posted by stream' post='215694

The high temps will melt that wax right off--it's really a waste of time. RejeX was developed specifically for high temp applications (for the US military) so it lasts a long time.
http://www.corrosionx.com/rejex.html
[/quote]

At those prices, it ought to check the tire pressure too.

Thx, I'll try mine in the spring when things aren't so hot.

Ray Hull
Old 12-26-2005, 05:28 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by jlnetter' post='215750' date='Dec 26 2005, 07:33 PM
Thanks to all of you!!!! You guys are really great. I am going to get some rejex and a big bath towel!!

If any of you come through Nashville let me know and I will buy you coffee.

Jim Netterville

Do different wheel make a difference. I guess with less spokes (price goes up) they are easier to cleam. At least with the stock wheels on the 545i sport package, which are more open, they are eaier to clean. The 18' wheel on my M3 where a bear to clean, I kept taking the skin off of my nuckles.

Thanks!!!
Different wheel definitely make a difference. Regardless, I still do well enough with my style 101's, but my stock wheels, like yours, are easier. Check the 101's out in my gallery photos linked in my sig. I don't know for sure if fewer spokes always implies higher prices other things equal.
Old 12-26-2005, 06:13 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 550i Titanium Silver Metallic, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood Trim, Cold Weather Package, Premium Sound Package, Sport Package, Steptronic, Navigation, Electric Rear Sunshades, Heated Rear Seats, Sirius Radio

I use the Klasse twins on my rims. First Klasse AIO as a cleaner, then several coats at least a day apart of Klasse Sealant Glaze. Then I just clean the rims every time I wash the car with the same car wash solution. My previous car was an e46 M3 - I had both the stock 18" rims and the competition series 19" rims. I do not find the rims on my 550i Sport to be any more difficult. And yes you could use a quick detailer to touch up the rims more frequently. I like Mequiar's Final Inspection, and use the Costco yellow microfiber towels. I think the key is to clean the rims frequently. Leaving the brake dust on can damage the clear coat on the rims, as can harsh cleaners.

Brake dust.  My wheels are choking!-img_1488_1.jpg

Quick Reply: Brake dust. My wheels are choking!