Detailing Forum Don't know if that wax is any good? Get your detailing answers and tips here.

Black E30 Vert

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 11:30 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)
Default Black E30 Vert

I just wanted to see what I would accomplish with a quick detail on this E30. It looked like it wanted to shine

Here's the first part of quite possibly may become a long saga of one '87 E30 Vert in Cali - this is RWC Chris' daily beater, so I have a feeling he might have some plans for it too.

Some before shots:

"nice" bird spots - spritz with mild degreaser:

Started with the wheels, because they were just super dirty and caked with a huge layer of brake dust. This is a shot of me trying to take a pic and work the brush after sonaxing them at the same time

Next up was a foam bath:

Once the wash was done, the swirls came at me like it was 1992

Because the car was in such a gentle condition and the paint is - albeit quite hard, it is a Bimmer after all - single-stage, I decided to tape off all the edges just to be safe

I didn't want to take off too much paint in the process, so I went with a relatively mild abrasive and a green pad:

Quick light test after the initial product combo test:

Can you tell how much better the quarter panel reflects than the door?

Responding well enough, so I went ahead and did the entire car with green Uber pad and Chemical Guys' V34. After it was all done, I ended up with a totally ruined pad:

But it was all worth it in the end - it ended up being an even better paint correction than I had anticipated... after midnight... sealed her with some mild sealant/spray wax, tested adam's VRT on the rubber and some trim, took a couple of [admittedly low-quality] pics and headed home

Today, when I swung by the shop to prep my car for Cars n Coffee tomorrow, I took this shot of the E30 in the sun:

Looking much better, but by no means finished. There will be other installments featuring this car "coming soon", which I'm thinking I'll just add to this thread as I do more cool stuff with it. For now, akuna matada
Old 08-24-2013, 12:40 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

That's great improvement Vlad! Congrats!

So you put up a shop, right?

- Antti -