Detailing Forum Don't know if that wax is any good? Get your detailing answers and tips here.

Black care care

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2006, 10:14 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 530i JETBLACK/BLACK DAKOTA, COLD WEATHER PKG, PREMIUM PKG, ADAPTIVE XENON HEADLIGHTS, AUTO TRANSMISSION WITH 6 SPEED STEPTRONIC, BLUETOOTH SETUP,SAT SETUP AND WIFE AS CO-PILOT

unfortunately its not gonna last more.. than a couple of hours... then its gonna look dirty... ...

thats what the detailer california duster is helpful for..... i use it alot saves me time.. wash the car once a month.. and use the nxt, turtle ice, detailer spray wax in between the wash and it looks great... yes its hard to maintain but just like what others say.... when clean... its just amazing..ericd
Old 12-09-2006, 10:22 AM
Members

I do not wish to endorse any particular product, but I had mine Supagard treated from new. No swirls & it is easy to wash. I concede black does look dirty quicker than other colours, but is just as easy to get looking immaculate. Just a hand wash followed by drying with a microfibre towel, the wheels take longer!.
Old 12-09-2006, 12:27 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 545i Sport
Model Year: 2004
Engine: N62

Quick Detailer Spray is your friend (numerous brands available)
In between washes, just a quick water hose off, spray, leave on a few minutes,
lightly wipe off with microfiber cloth to lift dirt, change to clean cloth to buff,
repeat onto another area. (you can also read recommended product application instruction)
- Voila!
Don't let car gets too dirty though before doing this. If your paint has mud splatter or other heavy soil,
it should be rinsed or washed before wiping with towels.
Use common sense when quick detailing and your paint will remain in very good condition.

I also use California Duster.

Once you are familiar with quick detailing your car, you can easily get the job done in as little as 5 to 10 minutes.
Compare this to the 45 to 60 minutes it takes to wash and dry your car with soap and water.
If you did a quick detail on your car every day, you would spend no more time than you would with a weekly wash,
and your car will always look freshly detailed .
Old 12-09-2006, 01:13 PM
Contributors

Jet Black is very, very difficult to keep swirl-free. BMW's clear coat paint is odd: it seems very hard but scratches easily and it is very difficult to polish out swirls.

You will notice every little nick, scratch and stain on black. Yes, it looks fantastic when clean and polished, but it's a lot of work to keep it that way.

I say you should stick to your traditional white/beige combo because 1) it looks stunning on the E60, and 2) it's a much more unique scheme that will make your 550i a more interesting car for a longer time. There must be 50,000 black/black E60s in the U.S. now, but there probably are fewer than 1,000 white/beige.

Gook luck with your choice.
Old 12-09-2006, 01:46 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 545i Sport
Model Year: 2004
Engine: N62

Choose white .

And if all future buyers do that, then black will be fewer in the e60 community .
Old 12-09-2006, 04:20 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 520i

black colour takes alot of dedication to take care.. here are some guidelines

NEVER wipe off any dirt/smudges/bird droppings from the surface... if theres any dirt wash the whole car with care

wiping the car w/o prior washing will bound to cause scratches here and there

DO NOT park ur car under the sun when its wet... the water droplets acts as a magnifiying glass to the paint and will burn the paint surface which cause patches

DO NOT use tar remover for side skirts or fender...it will cause patches

DO NOT touch the car for fun.. u will scratch it

now for the washing part:

DO NOT apply pressure when u are scrubbing...
DO NOT use hard sponge.. use very very soft sponge or soft cloth
when scrubbing..follow wind direction ( for bonnet trunk and roof...scrub it parralel to the car front and back ) whereas for doors and sides scrub it up and down following gravity

use different sponge/cloth and water and soap for upper and lower half of the car

and please please..do not let anyone touch the car... (basically touch = scratch )

JET BLACK RULES!!
Old 12-13-2006, 01:14 PM
Members

I have jet black. I Love it. No, I hate. Wait, I love it. No, I hate.
Old 12-22-2006, 05:33 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 530.sport,premium,cold weather:2005 545,sport,cold weather.logic 7 sound,Dinan Stage 3
Black on Black and love it.Takes 45 minutes to wash and wax.I use a Porter Cable Polisher and
P21S Carnauba Wax.I only use microfiber towels and Sonus products.Better car care.com is a
fantastic site for car care products and how to.People are always asking me how I keep my car
looking so nice.Very easy- my Poretr Cable Orbital Polisher and P21S!!
Old 12-23-2006, 09:32 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW 545iA Black Sapphire
Model Year: 2005
Engine: 545i

Still using the same technique from day one HERE

Old 12-23-2006, 11:34 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 530i JETBLACK/BLACK DAKOTA, COLD WEATHER PKG, PREMIUM PKG, ADAPTIVE XENON HEADLIGHTS, AUTO TRANSMISSION WITH 6 SPEED STEPTRONIC, BLUETOOTH SETUP,SAT SETUP AND WIFE AS CO-PILOT

I had my car on display with toyo at a race this past weekend... had alot of comps in regards to the paint job some thought the car was new or asked me if i had a custom paint job done with xtra clear coats...all i told them was just wax 1 a month and ahalf depending on the weather and how often i drive and use meguires gold class in between the wax i use quick detailer spray..ericd just had to share

Quick Reply: Black care care