Detailing Forum Don't know if that wax is any good? Get your detailing answers and tips here.

bird drops etching

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2005, 03:05 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 525d se auto. black sapphire, 17" 5 spoke 138 style alloys. dark poplar trim, charcoal flat weave cloth, bluetooth phone prep, dimming rear view and side mirrors, lumbar support, heated front deats, phone cradle

hey had my black saphire 525d a few weeks now, just one thing... why do bird droppings etch into the paint? along with water marks. Also when i go to polish the car, the polish wont buff in, it leaves a dark trace you can clearly see when the car is in the shade is it because the paint is very soft? or somehow my car is lacking wax protection? anyone with the same problem please help meeee!
Old 06-22-2005, 03:11 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 525dse' date='Jun 22 2005, 05:05 PM
hey had my black saphire 525d a few weeks now, just one thing... why do bird droppings etch into the paint? along with water marks. Also when i go to polish the car, the polish wont buff in, it leaves? a dark trace you can clearly see when the car is in the shade? ? is it because the paint is very soft? or somehow my car is lacking wax protection? anyone with the same problem please help meeee!?
[snapback]142130[/snapback]

I had a similar experience when I first got mine. I was able to have a pro buff most of it out. I think I did not have a good coat of wax on it yet since I had just picked it up and I don't think they come waxed from the factory.
Old 06-22-2005, 04:40 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

BMW paint SUX !

I am ready to file a lawsuit and return the car.
This is their last chance to fix it, and they know it... We'll see...
Old 06-22-2005, 04:42 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's more expensive to sue BMW than kill those birds.
Old 06-22-2005, 04:48 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by my530i' date='Jun 23 2005, 02:42 AM
It's more expensive to sue BMW than kill those birds.?
[snapback]142166[/snapback]
I don'T think so. I've got too many of those birds here.
Old 06-22-2005, 04:49 PM
Super Moderator

BMW should sell the cars and advise to NEVER EVER leave the car parked outside! Oh, ya, and DO NOT USE the car cover ANY time since it can leave marks too.

VERY POOR JOB, BMW! :thumbsdown:
Old 06-22-2005, 06:22 PM
Members

My Ride: '05 545i(Build 10/04)(SMG)Sport,BlkSapphire,Blk,Anthricite,Logic7,CWP,Comfort Seats,Nav,RearBags,Shades,Sirius,Heated/SplitFoldingRearSeats; '18 540i xDrive, White/Mocha, CWP, DAP, DAP+, Lux. Pkg, Prem. Pkg., Executive Pkg., Luxury Seating Pkg
Model Year: 2005,2018

Originally Posted by Iceman' date='Jun 22 2005, 08:40 PM
BMW paint SUX !

I am ready to file a lawsuit and return the car.
This is their last chance to fix it, and they know it... We'll see...
[snapback]142164[/snapback]
Iceman I share your pain. My car was damaged in transit, 1-3" scratch on the hood, and BMW refinished the hood at the VPC. I examined the hood closely and could not find any damage or any indication of a repair. My conclusion was that the VPC refinished the hood. Over the course of the 6 months that I have owned the car, I have had BS hit the car in several places, and with the exception of the hood, I could wash it off with no effect. But, on the three occasions that it got hit, all of them resulted in the lifting of the finish. I got the first two mostly out, but on the last occasion, I couldn't get it out. The car had three coats of wax. My conclusion was that the paint applied by the VPC was not cured.

The VPC had repainted the hood without removing the first layer of paint, so the paint is too thick and therefore would not properly cure. It is in the process of being repaired, requiring that the hood be wet sanded down to the primer, and repainted. We will see if this holds up.

Attached is a picture of that last strike.
Attached Thumbnails bird drops etching-bmw_bs1.jpg  
Old 06-22-2005, 06:51 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

I left my car at the airport for a weekend.

Came back and it was COATED in bird shit.

About 100 birds must have been roosting in the cieling of the garage.... because my car had a birdshit coat of paint.

Lucky for me... . I use a true, carnaube paste wax.

It protected my paint so good that the bird shit all came off with a hose. No marks left after.

My advice.... forget gimmicky synthetic wax chemicals.
Use a good, carnauba paste wax.... and use it often.
Old 06-22-2005, 06:56 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Jet Black 545i

My experience with bird shit is that it will etch any paint, not just BMWs. Their shit is acidic. Make sure you have a heavy coat of carnuba wax on your car before parking under any trees. I also use the BMW car cover. Haven't noticed any scratches due to the car cover...
Old 06-22-2005, 07:12 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 530i (Silver-Gray, Gray Lthr., Anthracite Maple) with Steptronic, Prem. Pkg., Logic 7, Xenons & Chrome factory wheels.

As already mentioned, bird poop can be very acidic, which does a number on the paint. For this reason, I make it a point to NEVER park under a tree! I always look the car over when I get home to make sure that my car is bird-poop free. If I find any, a wet wash cloth usually takes care of it. Had a '97 Camry that was permanently etched (clearcoat & paint), because I was a bit lax.

Martin

Quick Reply: bird drops etching