Detailing Forum Don't know if that wax is any good? Get your detailing answers and tips here.

Big scratch what shall I do?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2007, 03:15 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 530i JETBLACK/BLACK DAKOTA, COLD WEATHER PKG, PREMIUM PKG, ADAPTIVE XENON HEADLIGHTS, AUTO TRANSMISSION WITH 6 SPEED STEPTRONIC, BLUETOOTH SETUP,SAT SETUP AND WIFE AS CO-PILOT

see how much quad m is selling a painted mtech rear...or whatever you want...and if it is the same as the repair bill.... then i would upgrade to a new mod...ericd
Old 01-14-2007, 10:14 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 Titanium Gray 550i, with sport, nav, HUD, Logic7, sat radio, cold weather, rear side airbags, rear seat heaters, and it goes like a bat outta hell!

Originally Posted by MikeBuzzsaw' post='377764' date='Jan 13 2007, 12:30 PM
After getting off work, I was sitting in my car adjusting my radio. All of a sudden I feel a thud and my heart drops. Some chick on her cell backed out of her spot and into my rear in a parking lot, and I WASN'T EVEN MOVING. I was sitting perfectly in my designated spot. Sigh. Her Benz C230 rear bumper was pretty bent up and scratched. I suffered minor scratches on my bumper and a chip. I sorta wished she messed up my bumper more so I could get a M-tech kit .

Worst part is that the police says theres nothing they can do about it because no witnesses!! Since its only minor, cop told me just to fix it yourself and not have insurance involved.

I decided to take pictures of the scratched bumper, but it sorta turned into a photo shoot.

So anyways, how should I fix this? Went to detail shop and said it'll buff out and look 80% new but the chip is the problem. He said he could spray with original paint. He'll just mask and paint the bottom portion for another $65. Any other alternative that won't hit my wallet too bad?
I'm confused here....clearly the other party is at fault...is she disputing this somehow? I would still turn it over to my insurance company, and let them go after the other party....no reason why you shouldn't have the best possible repair to put the car back to it's "pre-accident" condition. Why is the other driver not paying for the damage?
Old 01-14-2007, 01:39 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by kmslo530i' post='378132' date='Jan 14 2007, 02:14 PM
I'm confused here....clearly the other party is at fault...is she disputing this somehow? I would still turn it over to my insurance company, and let them go after the other party....no reason why you shouldn't have the best possible repair to put the car back to it's "pre-accident" condition. Why is the other driver not paying for the damage?
The cop says that there was no witnesses and shes accused me of backing out as well. She accused me of backing out a few feet out of my spot and she was already all the way out. Since our stories conflicted, the cop said that its both our fault and we shud just pay for our damages. Can't do much about it. She didn't even have her insurance with her. All I got is her driver's license and a crappy police report saying its both our fault. I got shanked for being a guy.
Old 01-14-2007, 11:53 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E61 535d Apr 05. UK spec + Media Pack, Luxury Pack & Visibility Pack

Originally Posted by MikeBuzzsaw' post='377764' date='Jan 13 2007, 08:30 PM
After getting off work, I was sitting in my car adjusting my radio. All of a sudden I feel a thud and my heart drops. Some chick on her cell backed out of her spot and into my rear in a parking lot, and I WASN'T EVEN MOVING. I was sitting perfectly in my designated spot. Sigh. Her Benz C230 rear bumper was pretty bent up and scratched. I suffered minor scratches on my bumper and a chip. I sorta wished she messed up my bumper more so I could get a M-tech kit .

Worst part is that the police says theres nothing they can do about it because no witnesses!! Since its only minor, cop told me just to fix it yourself and not have insurance involved.

So anyways, how should I fix this? Went to detail shop and said it'll buff out and look 80% new but the chip is the problem. He said he could spray with original paint. He'll just mask and paint the bottom portion for another $65. Any other alternative that won't hit my wallet too bad?
Is it legal in California to drive while talking on a mobile phone? The cellphone co. should be able to confirm to a court of law that she was on the phone at that moment...
Old 01-15-2007, 07:36 AM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

ive been told that it is illegal to drive while on the phone.. but i am not sure if that law was passed already. for sure if its on speakerphone its ok.
Old 01-28-2007, 07:04 PM
Members

One of the things i learned is to keep your camera phone ready.. if you're in the parking lot and you car has not moved take snap shots.. to show that your car hasn't moved relative to the parking lines, also note that she was using the cell phone. What i've noticed with young women drivers nowadays they hit someones car.. and either make a dash... or blame it on you with a sad tear jerking crying weeping story... and they'll bring their boy friends on the cell phone and try to start smack.. worst of all male cops have a soft spot for these cute girls in 3 series/c series cars. So far I've counted 3 times this has already happened to my friends. 1 time that it's happened to my sister.
Old 03-11-2007, 07:06 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 06 530XI Sapphire Black, Black Int. 6sp, Cold, Prem

Originally Posted by dillusiv' post='384678' date='Jan 28 2007, 11:04 PM
One of the things i learned is to keep your camera phone ready.. if you're in the parking lot and you car has not moved take snap shots.. to show that your car hasn't moved relative to the parking lines, also note that she was using the cell phone. What i've noticed with young women drivers nowadays they hit someones car.. and either make a dash... or blame it on you with a sad tear jerking crying weeping story... and they'll bring their boy friends on the cell phone and try to start smack.. worst of all male cops have a soft spot for these cute girls in 3 series/c series cars. So far I've counted 3 times this has already happened to my friends. 1 time that it's happened to my sister.
You make a great point, a picture is worth a thousand words
Old 03-14-2007, 11:26 AM
Contributors

MikeBuzz, after seeing those pics, I just can't see yourself driving around with a scratched bumper like that. On that note, I have a silver grey rear bumper for sale. You don't even have to paint it. On your next photoshoot, you can photoshop the bumper to monaco blue.
Old 03-14-2007, 12:20 PM
Contributors

Haha, that bumper is long gone. I'm sporting the mtech kit.
Old 07-10-2008, 03:01 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 jet black 530I, M-tech body kit, ac shnitzer roof and trunk spoiler. kelleners sport exhaust and pully kit on its way from germany.

for one week i let my wife drive my car. (she wanted to show off to her friends) Well she comes home one day and she tells me don't be mad. I go and look and there was a scratch about three to four inches in the front bumper on the left corner. I wanted to get it fixed but i waited. April 9th i was hit from the side and now the car Is sitting in the paint booth getting the whole car paint on HER insurance.

Quick Reply: Big scratch what shall I do?