Detailing Forum Don't know if that wax is any good? Get your detailing answers and tips here.

Anzafin's washing method

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2009, 12:38 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004
Hi there!

I have a black car, actually a sapphire black. Anyone who has ever had a black car, knows how difficult it is to keep it looking good; dust, swirls, scratches etc… you name it! They all show up pretty easily on black paint.

I try to keep my paint in as good shape as possible. I polish it when it’s in need of polishing, and between these paint correcting treatments I keep it in a thick layer of wax or sealant.

As you know, most swirls are produced in washing. I never take my car to a brush wash machine, and usually I wash it myself by hand. I’ve been trying to improve my washing methods better and better during years, and right now I’m pretty satisfied with them.

Last time I polished my car on summer, and now after few months I’m very pleased I have managed to keep the car swirless. Well, swirless in everyday lighting conditions like sunlight, street lighting and gas station (or similar) lighting, which is the most swirl revealing light I can imagine! I haven’t observed the paint with a LED torch, because I’m pretty sure that after all I would find something that I wouldn’t like.

So, this good feeling that I’m having about the paint right now, made me write this thread. It’s about the washing method that I’m using right now, and if it helps even one person on the forums to give him/her some more ideas to upkeep his/her car’s paintjob, I’d be happy. Don’t get me wrong, I’m definitely not mr-know-it-all, I’m just sharing my experiences.

I am also accepting every tip you could give me!

Here we go!

Tools and accessories:
- two buckets, one with a grit guard
- lambswool mitts
- microfiber mitts
- sponges
- lots of good quality microfiber towels
- foam lance
- powerwasher
- Bilt-Hamber Autofoam
- Turtle Wax Big Orange car shampoo
- Malco Aqua Gloss wet wax
- Some quick detailer
- AutoGlym Instant Tyre Dressing

Pre-Wash:
1) I cover the car with a thick layer of Autofoam
2) Let it drain for 5-10 mins
3) Rinse with powerwasher
4) Second layer of Autofoam
5) Rinse

Wash:
I’m using the two bucket method, where the other bucket contains the car shampoo + water and the other contains the rinsing water (for a mitt) with a grit guard.

I use the foam lance and powerwasher with Big Orange car shampoo to put a good layer of foam on panels that I’m about to wash. I want to be sure there’s enough lubrication for the sheepskin mitt.

I wash the panels that are most visible first (after wheels and windows). This is because the washing mitt will get dirtier during the wash no matter what, and I don’t want to rub the particles against the most visible parts of the car.

1) Wheels and windows with microfiber mitts
2) Then I wash the hood with a sheepskin mitt
3) Then the roof
4) C-pillars
5) Trunk
6) Sides
7) Front end
8) Rear end
9) Skirts with a microfiber mitt
10) Rinse with a hose

Drying:
I use 2-4 microfiber towels on panels, 2 towels (2nd quality) on door and trunk sills. At first I moisture the towel and then spray a short squirt of Aqua Gloss on a panel and dry it out. The wet wax makes the drying very easy plus it helps to maintain the actual wax or sealant layers. The panels are dried out in a same order that I washed them. When I’m done with one side I open the doors so that the excess water drips out from door wells. I also wrap the mirrors in mf towel, so that the water dripping from them absorbs to the towel and doesn’t dry on a clean door panel and leave nasty drying marks.

Then I dry out the trunk and door sills, so that there’s no water left when I leave the washing hall. An excess water will again cause nasty marks on skirts.

When everything is done I dress the tires with an appropriate product, and if I have time I may use a quick detailer on panels.

A careful wash takes about 2 hours, but it is worth it. And I never go washing my car if I know that I would have to hurry! In a hurry I would do mistakes and possibly scratch the paint.

- Antti -

ps. The best first person shooter that I know!
Old 11-14-2009, 02:50 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

Here's my method from 2+ years ago, from when I had my old car (JET BLACK).

https://5series.net/forums/index.php?showto...8&hl=detail
Old 11-14-2009, 02:52 PM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Originally Posted by C's Bimmer' post='1054841' date='Nov 14 2009, 06:50 PM
Here's my method from 2+ years ago, from when I had my old car (JET BLACK).

https://5series.net/forums/index.php?showto...8&hl=detail
Wow, it looks like you and Antti have the love of detailing in common.
Old 11-14-2009, 02:58 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

Originally Posted by sdg1871' post='1054843' date='Nov 14 2009, 06:52 PM
Wow, it looks like you and Antti have the love of detailing in common.
Not anymore. I now pay someone else to do it. Hahahaha!
Old 11-14-2009, 03:15 PM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Originally Posted by C's Bimmer' post='1054849' date='Nov 14 2009, 06:58 PM
Not anymore. I now pay someone else to do it. Hahahaha!

I'm with you on that one Calton. I used to sometimes wash my car at mom mother in law's but since my back operation, I stopped that. Now I go to Scotty's in Staten Island (corner of Richmond Ave. and Victory Blvd.) for my regular washes.
Old 11-14-2009, 03:39 PM
Members

My Ride: e60
Model Year: 2008

nice antti! your regimen is similar to mine, but i'm too cheap to get the lance! what do you use for the inside? also, with all the cold you have in finland, have you ever considered onr during the winter months?

-d
Old 11-14-2009, 10:46 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by dowe' post='1054884' date='Nov 15 2009, 02:39 AM
nice antti! your regimen is similar to mine, but i'm too cheap to get the lance! what do you use for the inside? also, with all the cold you have in finland, have you ever considered onr during the winter months?

-d
For interior I've been using AutoGlym products. Interior Shampoo and Vinyl and Rubber Care.
Actually I haven't considered ONR. It's maybe because I don't trust it enough. I'm very lucky I can use a warm washing hall so the washing at winter time is not a problem for me .
Old 11-15-2009, 04:44 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: New ride from 14th May�07: 525iA LCI, Sport Suspension, Deep Sea Blue, Leather Dakota Natural Brown, Hi-Gloss Black trim, Star Spoke 124 18", Comfort Seats with memory, M -steering wheel, Glass Roof, Navi Professional, ProLogic7, USB-connection, Bi-Xenon, Extended Air Condition, Auto dimming mirrors, Electric Folding mirrors, Bluetooth for Cell Phone Sony Ericsson K750i, Electric rear window shade, Ligth package, Speed control with brake function, Cup Holders, Automatic head light control, PDC, Shadow line

Originally Posted by Anzafin' post='1054726' date='Nov 14 2009, 11:38 PM
Hi there!

I have a black car, actually a sapphire black. Anyone who has ever had a black car, knows how difficult it is to keep it looking good; dust, swirls, scratches etc… you name it! They all show up pretty easily on black paint.

I try to keep my paint in as good shape as possible. I polish it when it’s in need of polishing, and between these paint correcting treatments I keep it in a thick layer of wax or sealant.

As you know, most swirls are produced in washing. I never take my car to a brush wash machine, and usually I wash it myself by hand. I’ve been trying to improve my washing methods better and better during years, and right now I’m pretty satisfied with them.

Last time I polished my car on summer, and now after few months I’m very pleased I have managed to keep the car swirless. Well, swirless in everyday lighting conditions like sunlight, street lighting and gas station (or similar) lighting, which is the most swirl revealing light I can imagine! I haven’t observed the paint with a LED torch, because I’m pretty sure that after all I would find something that I wouldn’t like.

So, this good feeling that I’m having about the paint right now, made me write this thread. It’s about the washing method that I’m using right now, and if it helps even one person on the forums to give him/her some more ideas to upkeep his/her car’s paintjob, I’d be happy. Don’t get me wrong, I’m definitely not mr-know-it-all, I’m just sharing my experiences.

I am also accepting every tip you could give me!

Here we go!

Tools and accessories:
- two buckets, one with a grit guard
- lambswool mitts
- microfiber mitts
- sponges
- lots of good quality microfiber towels
- foam lance
- powerwasher
- Bilt-Hamber Autofoam
- Turtle Wax Big Orange car shampoo
- Malco Aqua Gloss wet wax
- Some quick detailer
- AutoGlym Instant Tyre Dressing

Pre-Wash:
1) I cover the car with a thick layer of Autofoam
2) Let it drain for 5-10 mins
3) Rinse with powerwasher
4) Second layer of Autofoam
5) Rinse

Wash:
I’m using the two bucket method, where the other bucket contains the car shampoo + water and the other contains the rinsing water (for a mitt) with a grit guard.

I use the foam lance and powerwasher with Big Orange car shampoo to put a good layer of foam on panels that I’m about to wash. I want to be sure there’s enough lubrication for the sheepskin mitt.

I wash the panels that are most visible first (after wheels and windows). This is because the washing mitt will get dirtier during the wash no matter what, and I don’t want to rub the particles against the most visible parts of the car.

1) Wheels and windows with microfiber mitts
2) Then I wash the hood with a sheepskin mitt
3) Then the roof
4) C-pillars
5) Trunk
6) Sides
7) Front end
8) Rear end
9) Skirts with a microfiber mitt
10) Rinse with a hose

Drying:
I use 2-4 microfiber towels on panels, 2 towels (2nd quality) on door and trunk sills. At first I moisture the towel and then spray a short squirt of Aqua Gloss on a panel and dry it out. The wet wax makes the drying very easy plus it helps to maintain the actual wax or sealant layers. The panels are dried out in a same order that I washed them. When I’m done with one side I open the doors so that the excess water drips out from door wells. I also wrap the mirrors in mf towel, so that the water dripping from them absorbs to the towel and doesn’t dry on a clean door panel and leave nasty drying marks.

Then I dry out the trunk and door sills, so that there’s no water left when I leave the washing hall. An excess water will again cause nasty marks on skirts.

When everything is done I dress the tires with an appropriate product, and if I have time I may use a quick detailer on panels.

A careful wash takes about 2 hours, but it is worth it. And I never go washing my car if I know that I would have to hurry! In a hurry I would do mistakes and possibly scratch the paint.

- Antti -

ps. The best first person shooter that I know!
Hi,

I have three black cars to wash. This means that I do not have time to complicated procedures. Basically I think that the most important thing is to remove all dirt without using force. My method is:

- the most important princip : keep the car waxed with best available wax. Until spring 2008 I used Autoglym products, since that only Swissvax
- when starting to wash the car it must be dry in order to make the solvent work efficiently
- step 1: apply the entire car with a proper solvent
- step 2: use pressure washer to remove all dirt from the paintwork, wheels and wheel wells. Remember not to go too near the surfaces with the washer injector
- step 3: wash the car with Swissvax Car Bath & water, usinh white Swissvax Washing Towel - white because it is easy to see if the towel gets dirty
- step 4: rinse the car with plenty of water - finally direct from the hose, because it leaves the well waxed paint almost dry
- step 5: dry the car with Swissvax towel

It takes around 45-60 minutes/car, if I don't clean the interior.(To be honest, I am such a perfectionist that I do it every time...)

The solvent doesn't remove Swissvax waxes. I only wax the cars three times a year. I beleive that it is very important to have a wax that really keeps the paint covered with wax from wash to wash protecting the paintwork.

All three black BMWs, Carbon Black 525, Jet Black 118 and Sapphire Black 320i Coupe remain quite well without swirls or scratches.

Actually, as nobody imported Swissvax products to Finland, I decided to start importing and selling them (as a hobby) after I had used products for about one year

Best regards,

Jukka
Old 11-15-2009, 04:52 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by TitangrauII530iA' post='1055144' date='Nov 15 2009, 03:44 PM
Hi,

I have three black cars to wash. This means that I do not have time to complicated procedures. Basically I think that the most important thing is to remove all dirt without using force. My method is:

- the most important princip : keep the car waxed with best available wax. Until spring 2008 I used Autoglym products, since that only Swissvax
- when starting to wash the car it must be dry in order to make the solvent work efficiently
- step 1: apply the entire car with a proper solvent
- step 2: use pressure washer to remove all dirt from the paintwork, wheels and wheel wells. Remember not to go too near the surfaces with the washer injector
- step 3: wash the car with Swissvax Car Bath & water, usinh white Swissvax Washing Towel - white because it is easy to see if the towel gets dirty
- step 4: rinse the car with plenty of water - finally direct from the hose, because it leaves the well waxed paint almost dry
- step 5: dry the car with Swissvax towel

It takes around 45-60 minutes/car, if I don't clean the interior.(To be honest, I am such a perfectionist that I do it every time...)

The solvent doesn't remove Swissvax waxes. I only wax the cars three times a year. I beleive that it is very important to have a wax that really keeps the paint covered with wax from wash to wash protecting the paintwork.

All three black BMWs, Carbon Black 525, Jet Black 118 and Sapphire Black 320i Coupe remain quite well without swirls or scratches.

Actually, as nobody imported Swissvax products to Finland, I decided to start importing and selling them (as a hobby) after I had used products for about one year

Best regards,

Jukka
I agree!

So it is you who imports the Swissvax! Then we have emailed about some products at last summer!
It's a small world .
Old 11-15-2009, 04:58 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i 2006 BMW X3

I've gotten lazy with the Space Gray 550i. I'll definitely have to take more care with the Black Sapphire Z4. At least its small and quick to wash. One difference for me, I've always washed top down. Top, windows, hood, trunk, headlights and grill, then sides above the belt line. The I switch to an older mitt and do bumpers, rocker panels, etc, and switch to an even older mitt for wheels. That way I don't get my newest mitt dirty from the worst parts of the car.

The longest, hardest part is the wheels, and drying the car. In the south even late in the year, the sun can dry out the car way too quick. It has to be washed early morning or the last hours before sunset to avoid water spotting. I don't always have time when its the best time.

Quick Reply: Anzafin's washing method