Detailing Forum Don't know if that wax is any good? Get your detailing answers and tips here.

Am I missing the hype?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 08:07 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So reading through and asking a questions, many people have been blowing this thing up like it was the best thing for drying. Well I ordered one, this one to be exact http://www.chemicalguys.com/Absorber_Waffl.../mic_703_01.htm . My g/f and I washed her car today and I honestly, to be blunt, this it sucks!

It leaves water streaks and you have to go over it a few times in order for it to really dry without a streak or water marks. I had a feeling that it would given the fact that it was a microfiber type thing, but everybody gave it such great review, but I don't see whats so great about it.

I'd rather use the Absorber

http://www.the-absorber.co.uk/ekmps/shops/...d_absorbers.jpg

I think it works better....

O wells, I guess I can still use it for waxing right?
Old 06-29-2009, 09:40 PM
Contributors

My Ride: I have an 05 545i. It's a manual with a few options. This is my first BMW but I don't know how I'll ever be able to switch to something else.

I'm not sure what your "process" is, but I love my WW drying towels. I have 2x of them, just in case one of them gets to saturated. They work different than the Absorber. You don't wring them out when they are soaked and keep drying. Your car shouldn't have THAT much water on it when your trying to dry it.

Have you seen Anzafin's thread about drying his car with water? The concept is called "sheeting" and it rinses off most of the water that pools up on your car, leaving only a little here and there which can be easily soaked up by the WW.

I suggest you give it a try, I promise you'll love it. Plus you won't every have to worry about putting scratches/swirls/etc. in your car with it, unlike the Absorber
Old 06-30-2009, 02:09 AM
Members

My Ride: 2009 550i Platinum Grey Metallic with Sport Package 2008 Mazda MX-5 PRHT Copper Red 2008 Subaru Tribecca 2007 335i Barbera Red with Sport Package 1994 Ford Lightning Black

Originally Posted by kaiten408' post='928236' date='Jun 30 2009, 01:40 AM
I'm not sure what your "process" is, but I love my WW drying towels. I have 2x of them, just in case one of them gets to saturated. They work different than the Absorber. You don't wring them out when they are soaked and keep drying. Your car shouldn't have THAT much water on it when your trying to dry it.

Have you seen Anzafin's thread about drying his car with water? The concept is called "sheeting" and it rinses off most of the water that pools up on your car, leaving only a little here and there which can be easily soaked up by the WW.

I suggest you give it a try, I promise you'll love it. Plus you won't every have to worry about putting scratches/swirls/etc. in your car with it, unlike the Absorber
Did you properly wash the towel before using? Noticed that on the MF towels I did not wash before initial use, they pretty much sucked at absorbtion. Those that I did wash ROCKED. Try this stuff:
http://www.detailedimage.com/Chemical-Guys...-P181/16-oz-S1/
Old 06-30-2009, 11:51 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by kaiten408' post='928236' date='Jun 29 2009, 10:40 PM

Hmmmm I'm curious as to how the Absorber leaves swirls? It doesn't have any material that stick out of it like MF towels...
Old 06-30-2009, 11:52 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by FSTASNTZ' post='928412' date='Jun 30 2009, 03:09 AM
Did you properly wash the towel before using? Noticed that on the MF towels I did not wash before initial use, they pretty much sucked at absorbtion. Those that I did wash ROCKED. Try this stuff:
http://www.detailedimage.com/Chemical-Guys...-P181/16-oz-S1/
It was brand new when I used it, but I did rinse it before I used it.
Old 06-30-2009, 12:18 PM
Contributors

My Ride: I have an 05 545i. It's a manual with a few options. This is my first BMW but I don't know how I'll ever be able to switch to something else.

I'm not sure what material your speaking of that sticks out of MF besides the actual microfibers. Furthermore, they have silk edges, so there is nothing on the towel that can scratch it.

Absorbers will collect ANY dirt/particles left on your car when drying and continue to drag them across your paint as your drying it. Where as with a MF, it will pick it up, but the cloth picks it up and releases it when you turn the towel, so there's very little chance of scratching. The absorber you have to pick out every little thing that gets stuck in it.

I dunno, maybe i'm just anal, I use to use nothing but absorbers (i still have 3 in my garage) but, how does that saying go, "once you go black, you never go back"
Old 06-30-2009, 01:29 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by kaiten408' post='928835' date='Jun 30 2009, 01:18 PM
....Absorbers will collect ANY dirt/particles left on your car when drying and continue to drag them across your paint as your drying it. Where as with a MF, it will pick it up, but the cloth picks it up and releases it when you turn the towel, so there's very little chance of scratching. The absorber you have to pick out every little thing that gets stuck in it.

I dunno, maybe i'm just anal, I use to use nothing but absorbers (i still have 3 in my garage) but, how does that saying go, "once you go black, you never go back"
Ahhh I see...I'll give it another go I guess....I'm going to be driving out of town this weekend and when I get back I'm sure its going to be a plenty of bugs, so I'll wash it again.
Old 06-30-2009, 02:24 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

The waffle will get all the large sums of water off the car. You'll then need to go over it with some other towels. I use the CG Microfiber towels after I use the Waffle. Car comes out perfect. But use what works best for you. I'm just extremely meticulous about scratches and dirt. I trust nothing else beyond these towels.
Old 06-30-2009, 03:27 PM
Contributors

I think the condition of the paint matters too. On my car - which is smooth as glass - one waffle weave towel could dry the car twice over. I washed Mrs. Tachyon's car this weekend - which is trashed and hasn't seen decent care in a year - and it took two ww towels to dry that bitch, and it still had water spots and streaks.

So the lesson is to just take your gf's car to the car wash and save the good stuff for your car. Unless, you know, she's really hot in a bikini washing the car ... got any pics?